“Not 100% smoke free hotel! be forwarned.” 1 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Denton - University Drive
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4465 North I-35, Denton, TX 76207   |
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Denton
New Braunfels, Texas
“Not 100% smoke free hotel! be forwarned.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and son just left the place this morning. When I checked out I asked which rooms smoking was allowed because the smell kept us up most of the night. From the expression on the young lady's face at the front desk I could tell she had been asked this question before. She explained the smoking policy and the $250 dollar clean up fee if caught smoking in the room but she says despite that they still have guests that smoke in the rooms. She told me there was nothing they could do about it!

I know one thing they could do about it. Stop advertising the hotel as 100% smoke free!!!

My wife and son and I are all non smokers and we all had difficulty getting to sleep. We thought that the smoke might be coming from outside be we investigated and no one was around.

Between 12:00 and 1:30 we had finally had enough and tried to call the front desk. It was always busy and we figured they had just taken the phone off the hook. The front desk explained that the button labeled 'front desk' on the phones actually doesn't work.

If a hotel knows that they have inconsiderate guests who are going to smoke regardless of what penalties they put in place that's fine, but when you continue to advertise an amenity like %100 smoke free, then your complacent, and going after my business on false pretenses.

I don't feel refreshed, I don't feel I got my money's worth in the least bit and will be taking my business elsewhere when I come to visit my daughter at UNT.

Room Tip: Don't look for smoke free here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

TJ P, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Denton - University Drive, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
I’m sincerely sorry you had some smoke related allergy issues here at our facility.

We do take in-room smoking VERY seriously, and the Desk agent was rite in her $250 quote to cover damages.

A typical room that has been smoked in goes through a rigorous multi-day cleaning, involving an Ozone Machine, Carpet Cleaning, and triple laundry soak! While the process is thorough, It does take some time to do RITE.

That blasted cigarette smoke is a formidable foe indeed! I'm sorry you caught us 'mid fight'.

-Andrew M. @ the Front Desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Hotel carpet on 2nd floor outside elevator looks horrible. Room was nice, lobby nice, staff nice. Slightly more expensive than Hilton and Holiday Inn Express. No restaraunts near by. Right off freeway at University. Kinda of industrial area.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for the review!

We agree! That carpet needed some tender loving care! We had a full cleaning service come through on August 15th. Our New General Manager also got us set up with a recurring service provider!

-Andrew m. @ the Front Desk.
Amarillo, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is our third stay at this La Quinta in Denton. The top thing here is the willingness of the staff (particularly Andrew) to accommodate us, regardless of our needs or problems we might have encountered.
My boyfriend was allowed to check in before me since he arrived first, without paying for the stay. I had booked it in my name. Usually when I call to give permission, I am told at any other property, that he must pay to check into the room. This was excellent and very convenient.
When I arrived, Andrew was very friendly, and gave me advice about new places to eat when I inquired. I am also a returns member, and was offered a free upgrade to a suite, which was a very nice surprise. It was around my boyfriend's birthday, so the timing was great! Bigger room, later check out! These things I mention, make me want to stay at LaQuinta where I go, rather than just looking for the best deal anywhere.
The two things we had a problem with were, that the maid didn't complete our room clean up after the first night. The front desk offered to supply towels, new sheets and brought us drinks and a snack for the inconvenience. Just a word of advice. Be sure if you arise later in the morning and have the do not disturb sign out, BE SURE that you not only remove it from your door, but also call the front desk for service and let them know you are leaving. The maid saw my boyfriend, and he even told her he was leaving, but the room still was not done completely. We got new towels but not bed service.
The 2nd problem was when we went to the pool to swim the 2nd night. The hot tub jets did not work. Andrew was training Dillon, but told us to pop the emergency button out and back in. We had already gotten out and left the area. We did try it this morning, but it still didn't work, so I did report it again before leaving. I figure they want to know this stuff so they can fix it for the next person.
All in all, it was a nice stay. I have stayed in several places in Denton and will stay here for the price and accommodations again. It is a little hard to get to from the back side. Ask when calling for reservations how to get there easier.
Breakfast was good. Eggs, waffles, biscuits and gravy and sausage. Then the other continental items as normally found in hotels for breakfast.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter. The earlier you make a reservation, the cheaper it is. AAA and AARP and S...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the glowing review. The pleasure was all mine.

somwhere in the southwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

and most of them arent relevant to my stay, but 1: there is currently a billboard north of denton advertising the (former) (company owned)fort worth drive property as $59. come football season, this is going to generate a lot of noncustomers.my suggestion to the owners of this (franchise) property is to honor the billboard rate as a courtesy until corporate takes it down. you will generate some goodwill that way. I stayed using 6000 points+ 15. (I would have preferred 6,000 points, like the company owned store used to have). there are 2 courtesy pcs in the lobby, tho, they can be cantankerous at times.the breakfast is adeqaute, but needs, imo, donuts., & hard boiled eggs. the complimentary lobby paper is, alas, a usa today, and they have no real newspapers for sale. (such as the denton, dallas, or fort worth papers)in texas heat, that walk to the rack by the store can be brutal.they are also a bit far from the nearest city bus stop (university drive wal-mart)., about 3/4 miles away.but again, these are minor quibbles. room had a micro, a (well placed) fridge,and a REAL FULL SIZE COFFEE POT. guest laundry *(very popular) was just a $1.00 for a FRONT LOADER. (almost unheard of for hotels/apts truckstops/rv parks to have such well priced laundromats).especially a *front loader* :-) smie (front loaders, hold more, and get clothees cleaner). nice tub in room. bed very comfy. room roomy.even tho i paid in part, with points., i would gladly pay (max)$59+tax for this room again.

Room Tip: if they will honor the billboard rate of $59.oo+tax, go for it.otherwise, there is a days inn nearby...
Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to offer such a good review!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The staff were very helpful, the rooms were great and very clean, and the air very cold.

The grand kids had a great time in the pool. There was a nice selection for breakfast and everyone enjoyed the Texas shaped waffles. Had a great stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Thank you for the review!

Dont forget that pool here in a few months! Bring those Grandbabies back to swim!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I vist Denton because my kids have been going to school there. I have tried the other local hotels, but prefer La Quinta because it is always clean and comfortable. The service is excellent, the desk staff personable and professional, and the location (on I-35) couldn't be more convenient. It has the best value for my dollar AND I can bring my dog!.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

I'm glad you have enjoyed your time here! We look forward to seeing you in the future!

(Don't forget those milkbones @ the desk for your puppy!)

Jamestown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Highly recommend this hotel. Comfortable rooms with room to move around. Up to date furnishings. Beds provide a good night's sleep. Staff is very friendly and accommodating; great to joke around with! It had all the amenities one could ask for. I will definitely stay here any time I'm in Denton. Thank you for a great experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

TJ P, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Denton - University Drive, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Hello Judy,

Please accept our warmest gratitude for giving us the opportunity of providing your accommodation needs in our hotel. La Quinta Inn & SUites team is committed in providing the best experience for our guests and great value services. Your positive review ensures we have sufficed your exacting preference.

We look forward to your next visit in our hotel. Our friendly staff will always be available to assist you, please do not hesitate to call their attention during your stay in La Quinta Inn & Suites.

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Denton - University Drive? Share your experiences!