“Love this little town” 5 of 5 stars

Pottsboro, Texas
6 attraction reviews
“Love this little town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Great Farmer's Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Summer Music on Main is fun too. Love Buffy's cupcakes and the coffee shop. This little town has kept downtown alive. There are a ton of little interesting shops and restaraunts to visit. A must see when in Denison.

Visited October 2011

Moore, Oklahoma
36 attraction reviews
“I hope they can recapture some of the former glory!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We recently stayed overnight in one of the new hotels along the bypass, and I took the opportunity to check out the community that had been such a vibrant attraction during my childhood and teen years.

Unfortunately, the downtown area has fallen prey to the devolution that has afflicted so many communities. What had been a business district we traveled 25 miles to shop was barely a ghost of its former self.

At our hotel, I'd picked up a brochure that described downtown as an "historic" area. Too often this description is a synonym for "moribund". It certainly is in the case of Dension.

Our visit came on a summertime Friday. To their credit, local organizers were trying to interest people in coming downtown. A stage with live music was set up on a side street, but the crowd consisted of perhaps twenty teen-agers. I never did hear music performed, although people were on the stage as I passed by.

Free Friday movies were also advertised.

A few buildings, like the Katy building, are well-kept and interesting. St. Patrick's Church is beautiful. Like so many communities, downtown Denision has been relegated to crafts and antiques and vacant buildings.

While driving around, we did notice a larger than normal number of dance studios and media houses! Not all of them were downtown.

Generally, the area lacks vibrancy and vitality, even when not compared with its robust past. I can name a number of small cities that remain lively despite migration of major shopping to a bypass. Denison has not fared as well as others.

I hope residents and city officials can develop a plan that will kick-start the downtown area. Original sections of town truly are historic. I'd hate for their significance to be lost.

Visited June 2012
Torreon, Mexico
“Nice visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The town is nice and clean all the people are very kind with the visitors

Visited May 2012
Dewey, Oklahoma
“SHOPPING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Denison has antique stores that are not inflated in prices and a good selection.

Visited May 2012
Coppell, Texas
8 attraction reviews
“A sad disappointment. Many vacant buildings.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Was staying in Denison and the front desk clerk at the hotel we were staying at recommended downtown Main Street in Denison. Went there on a Thursday, so I didn't expect much activity, but thought the walk would be nice. Parked with family and walked Main street. Most of the shops were vacant with for lease signs. Only one restaurant, Italian, that I saw. One or two antique shops and that was it. A real disappointment. This street if done up right could be wonderful and charming. My first time here, so I don't know how it was pre 2008 recession. Perhaps it was more vibrant at then. If you are there I recommend going over a street or two and stopping at Saint Patrick Catholic Church. Well kept church built around 1911 with very beautiful stain glass windows. It was not open at the time of day I went, so I just walked around the exterior. Really beautiful, even if you are not Catholic.

I have heard nearby Sherman has some nice places to visit, but did not get an opportunity to visit other then to pass through.

Visited March 2012

Been to Downtown Denison? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Downtown Denison, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.