“An "honest" Gem of a jewel” 5 of 5 stars

20% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 192 Hotels in Dallas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“An "honest" Gem of a jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

Grand old historical hotel............ very comfortable, pleasant.
Staff was exceptional. Many hotels have employees that just "answer" questions, but this staff went the extra distance and offered help. Splendid.
Valet parking: I left my billforld in the car, and then 2 minutes after arriving in my room, the wonderful employee delivered the billfold to me. Thank you again, Warwick Melrose.

• Liked — the lobby
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

The lobby of the hotel is lovely, and the service from the front desk and the bell staff was very good. The location is great - near good restaurants and shopping. The room was nice - comfortable bed. Unfortunately, for two of the three nights there was a significant amount of noise from other guests, late at night, in the hall. The hotel handled the complaint well, offering one night free.

• Liked — Location, nicely restored hotel, not your standard chain
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Gatos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2008

I wished I had read the review from wanderer888 (June 13) to know what to expect. However, I have to say that I pretty much had no other choice as much as my stay, since this hotel was picked based on its location for the meeting that I was attending.
This is an old building which is a historic landmark. The hotel staff is very friendly and professional. The room decor is okay. The lighting is good. The beds are reasonably comfortable. The the room size is larger than average. However, there are some issues.
The heating system in the room is so loud that you have to pick a choice between sleeping or ambient temperature.
They have a major moisture problem in the room. This is most likely due to combination of lack of ventilation/fan in the bathroom and all the sealed single pane windows where moisture condenses and drips onto the frame, panel and drips off from the wall.
I had alot of respiratory difficulties throughtout my stay in the room as I have very bad seasonal/mold allergies.
Also, I had requested a wake-up call which I never received. I had also ordered room service for 6:15 as I had to be at my meeting at 6:55. The food did not arrive until 6:32 after an inquiry call was made. For a 4 diamond hotel and 18% gratuity, I expected a timely service.

• Liked — Front staff
  • Disliked — moist/moldy room, no wake up call
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2007

NO complaints about this older hotel: our suite was larger than one of our properties in Cali. The staff were attentive and the amenities were just right to make this a very romantic get away.

Although some of the facilities were dated, it added to the charm of the venue. We used the gym, hung out in the library bar, and enjoyed the food from room service. Can NOT believe that people complain about the location -- it is one of the jewels of Dallas.

This is one you will want to book -- especially if you have to be in Dallas. LOL.

Stayed December 2007
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

Booked a suite for the Halloween party/parade weekend. Fantastically spacious. Four poster bed was a great touch. Close to great restaurants and bars. (Wouldn't stay here if you don't want to see gay couples because there are PLENTY of them about.)
Will definitely book here again. I think I like it better than the Crescent Court!

• Liked — Spacious room, location
  • Disliked — Parking costs extra
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

We recently had a to find a hotel fast due to a family illness in Dallas. We needed somewhere convenient to the hospital and family and remembered the Melrose. My grandparents had stayed there years ago when they made a trip to the City (Dallas) and I always remembered hearing about it. It has been lovingly restored and if you are trying to get away from the current cookie cutter luxury hotel formula, the Melrose is the place for you. It was also an outstanding value for such a gracious and elegant hotel. The lobby and Library Bar were just beautiful -- elegant and understated. And I cannot rave enough about every one on the staff. They learned our names immediately and were always so attentive and considerate. Mind you, there were some minor complaints with the accommodations -- there is something to be said for new in some cases, but nothing that would cause me not to recommend the hotel. The only real complaint we had was that we could hear the activity in the adjoining room, probably through the connecting door, and next time I would ask for a room without one. We were on the back side of the hotel, so the street noise was at a minimum. Overall, we were very pleased despite the unpleasant circumstances necessitating our visit, and would stay there again.

• Liked — The gracious elegance that cannot really be repeated by a modern facility.
  • Disliked — Noise from connecting room.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

Based on the rave reviews from tripadvisor we booked a suite in the Melrose Hotel to celebrate a significant event. It was very disappointing to say the least. Yes, the service was impeccable, the bathroom amenities were upscale, and the piano bar was quite nice but the room was in desperate need of a serious overhaul. I felt like I was staying at an old great aunt's slightly smelly, threadbare house. I tend to like old hotels with a lot of character and have never had trouble before but the suite at the Melrose was tired and run down. The sofa and arm chairs were faded, frayed, and shabby looking. The mattress was soft and the bedspread and decorative pillows in need of replacement. Most unpleasant was the very noticeable musty smell in the room that would not go away. If you have allergies to mold I would think twice about staying here. To be honest I am surprised at the high marks given by the tripadvisor reviewers. I wouldn't call the hotel a "dump" but if you want upscale luxury that sparkles choose somewhere else. It just may not be worth the money.

Stayed June 2007

Been to Warwick Melrose Hotel Dallas? Share your experiences!