“Resturant Review Only” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 190 Hotels in Dallas
Grapevine, Texas
“Resturant Review Only”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

My boyfriend and I love a good meal. The food was .... great if there was enough of it to fill you up. They give super small portions! We ordered a 3 course dinner and we were both still hungry and I don't eat much.

Pros: 1) They greeted us well and gave us a booth that we could sit on the same side. 2) They gave us a personalized congrats card for our anniversary. 3) The wine menu was extensive. 4) Valet was fast and the patio was nice.

Cons: 1) The waitress insulted me twice. I have never heard of a martini on ice and my date had a steak knife for his steak, but I was given a butter knife for my lamb. I asked for a steak knife as well and she mentioned how neither of those things are normal and she had worked there for a long time. I've eaten at a lot of nice restaurants and those were both new to me, which shouldn’t have been brought to my attention.
2) The portions were too small, 6 bites in a large dessert and 2 bites of short rib. I mean small!
3) We weren't asked how our food was after we were served our entrees. She didn't check if the steak was cooked properly, which it wasn't.
3) The menu was not explained. She pointed out the $95 meal and that was all.
4) Service was really slow. It took us 45 mins for our appetizer, another 30 for our entree, 20 for our dessert, and 30 minutes to get our tab.
5) When we called, they said they didn't have an open reservation, but they made and exception and accommodated us. Which would be a good thing, however, when we got there the dining room was only 60% full at 8:00 and slowly decreased from there.

I would say the service was 2.5 stars, the food was 3.5 stars if there was enough to eat and overall experience was a 3. The cheesecake dessert was the highlight of my meal, but 6 bites isn't worth the drive. I think we are going to stick with Eddie V's, Sambuca's, Into the Glass, Ovations, The Vault, etc. None of which are five star restaurants, but have better food, bigger portions and better service.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

The hotel service is wonderful. Dinner in their restaurant was comparable to the higher end NY restaurants. The room was large, with a large bathroom and was furnished well. My lower rating for the room reflects little things - musty smell, my room overlooked a parking lot, bathroom although redone has some flaws - tub is old and so are the fixtures, and some of the tiling/wallpapering is not done well.

Overall happy with my stay for what I needed, and would come back mainly because of the service.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of our anniversary trip to Texas. I booked a package through the internet that was called, I believe, A Taste of the Mansion. It was a great package though that is not why we selected the hotel-I had always wanted to stay there then to add frosting to the cake they added a free night since we choose to stay 3 nights instead of 2.
Before we even arrived I was constantly impressed with the numerous contact emails and calls they made verifying our needs and asking if we had any further requests. I have worked in hotels most of my career and traveled around the world and was amazed at the level of service, caring, warmth and hospitality.
We arrived to a polite but very friendly reception from the valet and then found hot cider, apples and gorgeous fragrant flowers in the lobby. The front desk associate was delightful and there was an anniversary card greeting waiting for us from the manager.
We were taken to our room where there were iced tea, chocolate covered strawberries and another card waiting in our room , again courtesy of the manager. What a great start to our stay and it only got better.
We then went to the lounge for cocktails which were included in our package. It was a very classy upscale lounge, but not stuffy, and full of beautiful Texans (you could just tell). Obviously this is a popular spot for locals too.
We then went to dinner in the dining room. Our reservation was handled beautifully and we were seated immediately.
We sat in the atrium part which was lovely because it was actually snowing outside (it had been 75 the day before). Just beautiful and very romantic! In retrospect of the great service I wouldn't be surprised if the manager hadn't ordered the snow just to add to the ambiance.
The service was fantastic and the food was delicious. We thought we would get a special menu because of the package but were able to order anything we wanted off the regular menu. The only thing not included was caviar. Oh, I forgot to mention the chef and the restaurant manager also welcomed us with anniversary cards when we arrived. What attention to detail!!
The next morning we ordered the package breakfast from room service and again were allowed to order whatever we wanted. This was one package where they really wanted you to enjoy what they had to offer and not make you feel like you were being given a deal or made it difficult to use like most hotels do (listen up Las Vegas).
Each day the valets were a delight (one night's parking fee was included in the package too) and constantly offered us cold chilled bottles of water (no $6.00 bottle of water gimmick-don't hotels realize how insulting that is?) and gave us great service and great directions. As we were leaving on our last day I was carrying two bottles of warm water that we hadn't used. The valet took them from me and exchanged them for cold ones without my even asking him. Wow!
Oh, by the way, not to be totally overshadowed by the fantastic service, the Mansion itself is incredibly beautiful and recently remodeled. The beds and pillows were fabulous and the bathroom and amenities incredible.
It was fun to read about the history of the mansion as it was a cotton barons home at one time. However, do not get the impression that it is some type of elegant old B& B type. It is a very up to date 5* hotel of incredible warmth and beauty in a great location with a well earned reputation for excellence.
Another example, I had asked for a steamer and they very nicely put a full size professional steamer in the room and left it for the whole stay. Room was spotless and faultless.
As you can see I would highly recommend staying at the Mansion when you are in Dallas. I have only been to one hotel I could compare it to (and we never stay in less than a 4* hotels) and that would be The Alvear Palace in Buenos Aires. Whoever is doing the training for this hotel sure knows what they are doing and the manager is to be highly commended for developing such a fabulous team and product.
We stayed in a Four Seasons in Austin after we left Dallas and as great as they were they had a hard time competing after our stay at The Mansion.
Janis Ilenstine

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

There is nothing negaitve that you could possibly say about the Mansion! We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary there and we could not have asked for more. The care, personal attention to detail, friendliness,courteousness and helpfulness was incredible. Rooms were elegantly appointed. Restaurant for breakfast, of which we were able to enjoy outside every morning, and dinner for our anniversary was more than we both expected. The pool area so quiet and inviting. By far I am sure, the No. 1 hotel/accomodation/restaurant in Dallas, and in our opinion, the No. 1 that we have ever visited. It is going to be very difficult to go away on a vacation or to celebrate an anniversary that will even remotely compare to The Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek, you have certainly set the bar high!!! Bravo and Kudos! Many an establishment could learn from you!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Fantastic hotel and onsite dining. Gorgeous rooms, beautiful hotel, helpful staff, tasty complimentary Italian candy and the best part of all was the bill.

A place like this is twice the money in the LA area.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

I love the Mansion. I came back to it after many years and it got even better.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I have stayed at the Mansion before and been pleased, but in January 2010, I booked a room for my child and myself while we were on a short visit to Dallas for her Birthday.

The lobby was under construction, (which was not mentioned when I made my reservation) so we entered through a ground floor guest room with a makeshift reception desk. The feel of the hotel is decidedly different when you enter as if you are coming in the back door.
The only request for special service that I made in advance of our stay was that they say, "Happy Birthday," to my 8 year old daughter and make her feel special. In fact, no one mentioned her Birthday at all unless I prompted them, and even then there was no enthusiasm or sincerity.
We were put in a room overlooking the parking lot of the building next door...a really terrible view.
The newly remodeled rooms seemed unremarkable. The coffee table and desk were unsubstantial.
The room service dinner was very costly (as one would expect) but was very disappointing, especially considering a new chef and menu. I asked them to adjust their "macaroni and cheese" dish to make it simple for my child's tastes, but they did not make any adjustments that I could discern. We had to go out for pizza.
After my stay, the Mansion sent an email request for an evaluation. I filled in the evaluation honestly and got no response at all. This really surprised me.
I must say, though, that the valet service was quite good. Those men are very accommodating, super nice and were very kind to my daughter. Also, the beds were very comfortable and breakfast was good....but not good enough for the price at all.
For the same price I could have stayed in a large suite at another, more central, more friendly hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek? Share your experiences!