“Wonderful mansion” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
dallas, texas
“Wonderful mansion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Had a fantastic 20th wedding anniversary at this wonderful hotel- starting with the valet parking attendants who didn't let a drop of rain hit my head as I departed my car at the front door to the wonderful receptionist at the front desk (who upgraded us to a premiere room) to the manager who had left us a hand-written note to the attendant who brought us champagne and home-made gingerbread shortly after arriving in our room. The guest room was huge, beautiful, quiet, and elegant. The bathroom was gigantic with a marble bath tub large enought for two and a separate shower with extremely strong water jets wonderfully appointed with Lady Primrose bath products - bath salts and the most wonderfully fragrant and rich cream soap I have ever used. The extraordinary guest room was equally matched by extraordinary service everywhere - everyone made my feel like a very important person (even though I'm not even close)! Loved this place to the Nth degree and for the price I paid for the "Mansion Memories" package that included a fabulous anything-you-want breakfast the next morning in the newl yupdated restaurant, it was worth every penny!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

My wife and I spent a 3 day weekend at the Mansion at Turtle Creek and came away with a great impression of the hotel and it's staff. Arriving early on a Friday, we were offered the use of a Lexus for 2 of the 3 days of our stay at no additional charge as well as a multitude of options for sightseeing, shopping, and dining from the conceirge. Mary was outstanding and extremely helpful throughout our stay.
The restaurant offers fabulous food for breakfast and lunch (we didn't have dinner) and although pricey, offers great service with wonderful views of the Dallas skyline. We took advantage of the hotel's car service for dinner's out (see review of Yutaka's Sushi Bistro). The rooms were somewhat of a disappointment in that they were outdated but since we didn't spend much time in ours, it wasn't bad. The bed was fairly comfortable and the room offered great space with a comfortable sitting area.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

We were guests on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this past week while in Dallas for the Cotton Bowl. Our room was terrific. Our conceirge services were absolutely first rate. When we came in from a foray to Eddie Deen's for an Ole Miss get together we were invited to join the New Year's Eve party in the lobby area. Hunter Brown's Big Band was really great.
The bar area was cozy and luxurious and served as a perfect setting for meeting old college friends for drinks. Our waitress in the bar did an outstanding job.
All in all, it was worth the $$$.
TOM
Southaven, Ms

• Liked — balcony and bed linens
  • Disliked — tv
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Beaumont, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

My family including 2 very small children stayed at the hotel during evacuation for Hurricane Ike and were on the property for about a week.
It is located near uptown and its sister property the Crescent but is secluded on Turtle Creek. It is also not very well marked which, in this case, increases the feeling of being hidden in nature while still in the heart of Dallas. Other nearby features include a running trail and Love Field (5 min drive). One can easily walk to the tram and take it downtown to the museums and aquarium (which we did with our kids).

The service was warm and polite. People were treated the same whether they were formally or informally dressed. The lobby always had fruit and refreshments or coffee out for guests passing through. The staff consistently expressed genuine concern for our well-being and ease.
The rooms are going to be upgraded by 2009 so, if like one of the other reviewers, you like the patina of older rooms you'd best visit soon. I'd be excited to see the renovation, though, because some of the furnishings are showing a little wear. The rooms are not particularly large or small but well appointed and the bathrooms were handsomely done in stone and mirror with fine fixtures. Our room had a live plant and there were always fresh flowers in the public areas.
The hotel is built onto an existing mansion providing a sense of history and authenticity. Great just to explore and walk through, it gives character other hotels will have trouble capturing. The dining room was superb with locally sourced Texas ingredients served in a french style. Every plate came out meticulously prepared with perfect temperature and doneness. The wine list has a wine spectator award which is definitely deserved, though there were few "bargains" on it. The waiters and sommeliers were patient and affable.
The cocktail bar has an avant garde mixologist who prepares old school items like homemade tonic water for gin and tonic (highly recommended) and new school "molecular gastronomy" cocktails. The bar itself is a dark and cozy space with jazz music in the mansion area.
The hotel's workout room was well-equipped with dumbbells, weight machines and several types of commercial grade cardio machines.

One would not usually think of such a place as good for children and indeed the pool area is not large but our children were very happy with the amenities available and the old mansion to explore. There is no formal children's program but the concierge can easily get babysitters. Our children were quite welcome in the hotel. I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to travels of any type because it can suit anyone.
We were checked on in the dining room daily by the hotel manager, Duncan Graham. It's great to see a hotel being successful one relationship at a time. His presence was a difference from most hotels where the responsible parties usually hide behind the staff. We felt no concern was too big or small to discuss with him and he always seemed to have time to chat.
Overall, we loved the hotel and recommend it highly.

• Liked — Personal service in a small hotel
  • Disliked — rooms are not updated yet.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

This hotel DOES NOT need updating! It is wonderful just as it is. I would call it a hotel with a lovely patina.

It is not a new, modern, trendy Four Seasons or Gaylord. It is the MANSION on Turltle Creek. What does that mean to me?

1. Bed Linens are made by Quagliotti and Carmignani of Italy. Not the the cheap "hotel" lines of Sferra Bros and Frette (Made in China) which are so popular today but in no way compares to the aforementioned.

2. Table Linens are also of Carmignani of Italy.

3. The furniture is all customed made by Beverly Furniture of California. Not bought off of the floor in China but handmade in the USA.

4. The fixtures are gold plated and somewhat worn to a very nice patina. They are not cheap stuff in the latest bronze, platinum, etc finishes. They are what a mansion should have: aged gold finish. No flashy chrome anywhere to be found

5. The doors are solid wood and very heavy. Old. Ditto for the vanity. NO shiny black plastic looking finish, just an aged white hand finish.

6. The bathroom is done in marble and not granite. It doesn't have that ultra shiny finish either. The lighting is very pleasant and without all of those super bright LED , HID bulbs all over the celings.

7. In the restaurant, the men dined in suits and ties. Yes, that's right. The men actually worn ties and none of this open collar, caual nonsense so trendy today.

8. The food and service was truly superb. No fancy colored glass dinner plates or weird coffee saucers etc. (You'll have to go to the 4 seasons for that).

9. When you compare the rate here ($425 incl dinner for two) vs. the 4 Seasons at $895 and up (w/o dinner) you realize what a bargain this place really is. The Gaylord out in Grapevine is $395 for crying out loud!.

10. Ben Stein of Business TV fame was being interviewed in the lobby just prior to dinner.

11. The in-room breakfast ($38.00) was beautifully presented and with the french doors open onto the small balcony you realize how special this place is. They forgot the creamer but brought it up promptly

12. The staff is professional, experienced, helpful and friendly. No arrogance, pomposity, etc unless you prefer it.

13. The plumbing has some issues. When the water drained from one sink the opposing sink made a strange sound that was yet familiar. "That's it! That's sound of the bongo drums from I Love Lucy when Desi would be at the Copacabana warming up."

14. You are fool to miss out on the Mansion on Tutle Creek.

14. My wife loved the experience from the time we left our car until we checked out 24 hours later she could have stayed another week simply enjoying the refined and aged elegance.

Enjoy!!

• Stayed September 2008
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

As a Dallas resident, I have always wanted an excuse to stay at this storied hotel in my own home town. Recently -- due to a small home renovation -- I decided to take a small in-town vacation and booked a room at the Mansion on Turtle Creek.

The staff at the Mansion was wonderful -- they anticipated my needs and bent over backwards to be friendly & accommodating. The valet staff in particular deserves kudos for running back and forth for my car in 106 degree Texas heat ! The front desk staff made sure that messages were promptly delivered and were gracious with my frequent service requests.

And therein lies the problem. My service requests were frequent -- almost daily. The safe failed to work after I had placed my items inside. The air conditioning unit made a clicking noise every 20 seconds throughout the evening until the staff finally got it fixed about 8 hours later. The hot water took almost 15 minutes to get to the Texas sized soaking tub. (They told me this was due to the low occupancy in the hotel. Huh?) Each time someone flushed a toilet or took a shower the water pressure would make a rushing noise through the plumbing loud enough to be heard in the main bedroom. I could go on but you get the idea.

The Premier Room that I was assigned (Room 412) had very dated furniture. Not in a good English country house way but in an overused and confused decorator look. I wasn't hoping or looking for over-the-top but neither was I expecting a return to the 1980's. Honestly, I thought perhaps my expectations were too high so I invited a friend to visit my room and give me her opinion. Shocked may be a slight exaggeration...ok, maybe not. Even she noticed that the black and gold bedding was old and the chenille occasional chair was stained and dirty. The parson's chair at the bathroom vanity was so stained that I laid a towel on it before sitting down.

I was sorely disappointed and think most of you reviewers would be better served staying elsewhere -- anywhere else. Sorry Mansion personnel!

• Liked — Staff was great, location was fabulous
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, dated decor, maintenance issues abound!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
scottsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

This is a beautiful, elegant, classy hotel. It's not huge and almost gives you the feeling of staying at someone's gorgeous home. The lobby is elegant and there are fresh flower arrangements on almost every surface...including the guest room bathrooms.
The hotel is famous for their service and we were not let down. The valet service was the best we have ever experienced. They were fast, efficient, friendly, and called us by name. The concierge was equally wonderful booking us spa appointments at the neighboring Rosewood Crescent Court. (which was lovely too)
The gym is full of new equipment and stocked with water and fresh fruit. We enjoyed a drink at the hotel bar which had a great bartender who offered us complimentary light snacks with our wine.
Our room was the most basic the hotel offers but still had a small balcony and was decorated in soothing pale peach and rose colors. The shower and towels were wonderful and so was the bed and down comforter.
My husband called and asked for their "complimentary shoe shine" and his shoes were picked up and returned to us polished in under 15 minutes! Like I said...the service was amazing! We will stay here next time we have a reason to come to Dallas... we felt relaxed and pampered the entire time!

• Liked — The service, the elegant decor, the room service, bed, the check in gift and the gym.
  • Disliked — The TV...it should be upgraded to a flat panel at a 5 star hotel.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek? Share your experiences!