“Good conference hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Metuchen, New Jersey
“Good conference hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. The hotel was a good 20-25 minute cab ride from DFW Ariport ($41 plus tip). The hotel was clean. My room did not have a view of the city, but a driving range. The room was clean and the elevators were pretty fast. The conference facilities were solid. The hotel restaurant was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the city.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance D, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome your group and appreciate your business. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests.

General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

This hotel looks great from the street and it looks even better once inside. Parking is conveniently located next door and there are plenty of spaces even during busy weekdays. The staff, from front desk folks to concierge & bell boys and restaurant employees, is very nice and courteous. The room is clean and neat. Definitely a higher end hotel to stay at! Strongly recommended!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Your comments about your stay with us made me smile. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our entire staff was so helpful! Our top priority is our guests' comfort and I am delighted to hear that we achieved that goal.

Hope to see you again soon,

Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This hotel is a little out of the way, unless you are looking for something near the Medical Center Complex, or the Dallas Market Place. It turns out that you can't really walk in this city, and everything is a cab ride. The roads are also really strange, so that a one mile straight shot ends up being 2-3 miles and the cab ride runs you $15-$20 just to go one mile. The area does not look safe, and the hotel staff strongly discourages you from walking in the neighborhood at night.

As for the hotel, it has a nice lobby, and the concierge lounge has a great view. the service is pretty good. It seems like the downtown view, versus the medical center view is more popular, so they are very quick to tell you that they don't have city view rooms left. I tried to get my suite moved to the city view side, with all my elite membership and all, but they were absolutely firm about saying "no". I thought that was strange. The suite right across the hall from me (city view) became open 2 days into my stay, but I guess they gave it to someone else over me.

Other than the view snobbery, the rest of my interaction with the staff was pretty good. The room was nice and clean, and the service was nice. The concierge lounge service was okay in the afternoon. Nothing really that great when it comes to snacks. The concierge breakfast was good, but the lobby restaurant breakfast was so great, that I am glad Saturday morning, we got the breakfast voucher because the concierge lounge is closed on weekends. Apparently people come to this hotel to eat the food, so that is a good sign.

Overall, a good hotel, but beware of transportation. It is a pain, and it is expensive. Maybe get a rental car, if you are planning to get around Dallas a lot. It saves you a bunch. Parking rates at the hotel are pretty okay ($16-$25 depending on self versus valet)

Room Tip: Ask for downtown view and higher floors, as it might be less freeway noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance D, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast so much! We do have many locals that frequent our restaurant which, as you said, is a good sign. We look forward to welcoming you again when you return to Dallas. I greatly appreciate you adding your experience at our hotel.

Warm Regards,

General Manger
Irving, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The staff is very nice and knowledgable about the area. We were on the 30th floor with a great view. The room is typical slightly outdated and doesn't match the modern updated lobby. Room was very clean though. Food at the hotel restaurant was very good.

Location of the hotel is great. It's only about 15 min to downtown and even less to some of the more popular trendy areas.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at the Renaissance Dallas hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and restaurant! I am also delighted that you were able to experience some of our more trendy areas which are very close to the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back when travels bring you back to Dallas.

All the Best,

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

BED BUGS!!

I took this hotel for a business trip. I got bitten by the bed bugs in my room and later got shocked and upset at management's attitude towards the problem I raised.

I stayed at this Hotel between 20 October to 24th October. 3 rashes surfaced on my skin on both of my hands and behind the skin. I stayed in the room 2006. I visited the medical emergency center to get my rashes diagnosed. The doctor gave me a report saying that the bite marks are those of an insect and based on my history and the bite patterns, he said they are most probably bed bug bite marks.

The hotel manager told me that some professional agency was going to come and check my room. She said that until then, they cannot do anything to help me but change the linens on the bed. They said that they were fully booked and did not change my room. They said that I could get another hotel (by then it was midnight) but that they were not going to pay for me or assist me in moving to a different hotel.

One of the managers suggested that I either move out at my own expense or stay in the same room for which they were going to give me 10,000 Marriott points. So essentially they were asking me to shut up and sleep with the bed bugs for 10,000 Marriott points.

Another manager was very rude to me. He was arguing with me as to why he thinks there are no bed bugs and suggesting that the bite marks on my body are rashes due to an allergy. When I showed the medical report, he told me that it isn't an accurate diagnosis and completely disregarded it. He was talking to me in a raised voice and presented me with two options: 1) Get out at your expense or 2) Sleep in the same room with the bed bugs - as there is no proof that the bite marks on your skin are those of bed bugs and also since we didn't physically spot a bed bug yet in your room.

Having no other option, I'm sitting in the same hotel and writing this review right now. I probably can't sleep and will sit through the night on a chair.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance D, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I am so sorry to hear about the problems you encountered at our hotel. We deeply regret the experience you had and want to offer our sincere apology. I would love to speak with you further about your experience so that we make sure all issues are resolved. Please call me directly at 214-267-4888. In the meantime, I will be working diligently with our staff to make positive changes.

Westport, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stay here every time I go to Market at the Dallas Market Center. I find it a very comfortable and pleasant hotel with helpful people. ... and a great location to walk to the Center. The one huge issue that I encounter EVERY TIME (and this is my 6th visit in 18 months) is that the dining facilities and room service are not adequate for the amount of people who stay here- they just can't seem to get it right. So if you want to have dinner at the hotel at the end of a very long day at Market, you are often asked to wait over an hour. I decided to order room service this evening, and I was told it would be an hour and a half wait. If you have a car and don't mind driving to another restaurant, then this isn't an issue for you; however, if you want a full service hotel, complete with adequate dining facilities, then this hotel is definitely not for you. However- the food at the restaurant is very good.... just be prepared to wait a very long time to get seated.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with during Market Week. I am pleased to hear that you enjoy our hotel and restaurant so much! Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. My suggestion would be to make a reservation in our restaurant during our Market Weeks. This will help your situation regarding wait time. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and thank you for your feedback. I look forward to having you visit us again during the Market Weeks!

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you are a Marriot Rewards member, you know that Marriot has adjusted its Category levels. Last year I earned I few certificates for free stays at a Category 1-4 hotel. Almost all the Category 4 hotels I stayed at last year are now a Category 5 so I could not use my free stay certificates. It was great to find a place I wanted to go (Dallas) with a Category 4 hotel. But a Renaissance?

I must say this was my best Category 4 experience at Marriott. We checked in Saturday night in the middle of an event at the hotel so thing seemed a bit hectic but the check in process went well thanks to Earl at the Front desk. Although my wife and I were given a room with two queens instead of one king bed, Earl made up for it by giving us a upgrade to a one bedroom suite on the top floor (30) the next two nights. I only had a certificate for two free nights so I paid for the first night. I got the Government rate but he did ask to see my government ID. I know the fine print says you need to show your ID to get that Government rate but in 15 years with Marriott this is actually the first time I have been asked to show an ID. It is also the first time I asked for the Government rate will on a personal vacation. I didn't know until this year that you could get the Government rate even if you are not on Government business.

Other than getting stuck with a double instead of a King bed the check in the first night was great, the room on the first night was on the 27th floor facing away from downtown but the view of the medical district at night was pretty good. The room was large and clean. The concierge lounge (they call it the Club) was not open on the weekend although it did open Sunday night. We received a voucher for breakfast on Sunday morning. Nothing against the Concierge breakfast, but the Breakfast in the Restaurant was much better than lounge. The lounge was on par with most of the other concierge lounges that I have been in. You just can't have all the options of a restaurant breakfast in a lounge. Something that confused me, the hours are posted for the lounge but those hours only cover the times when hot food is being served. It wasn't really clear that the lounge does remain open after the hot food is removed. Speaking of food, we did order in and my wife says the burger is gourmet and definitely one of best she has ever had. As for myself, the chicken cascades' are OK, the homemade chips and hot sauce are not worth it. If I had to do it again, I would order the hamburger.

It is strange that the only way to access the swimming pool and fitness center is to get off on the 30th floor, walk to the end of the hall and go out the stairway exit and go up two flights of stairs. As others have noted, the rooftop pool and hot tub are surrounded by large solid walls that prevent you from getting any sort of view. We enjoyed the facilities none the less.

When we moved to the room on the top floor, Allison at the front desk was great helping us with switching rooms. We did notice that the furniture in the top floor room was well worn. I assume the top floor rooms with the view facing the city are seldom unused. I love Dallas at night, though I miss the building that use to have the Green neon lights when I use to live here.

The location is great if you are attending an event at Market Center. If not, the location is a little isolated from anything else, so a car is essential. On the down side, parking could be a bit confusing if you don't valet.

I have to agree with some previous reviews that the amount of room service trays in the hall ways and the length of time that they remain in the hallway is puzzling. They seem to be plenty of housekeeping folks but they must not be tasked to do anything with the trays. We left our tray in the room when we left for the day because I didn't want to contribute to the hallway clutter. However, when we returned later that night, the room was clean but the tray was sitting in the hallway. Curious.

All things considered, a very good stay.

Room Tip: If you are on the top floor avoid low number rooms (3001,3002, etc.) that are next to the west stair...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Renaissance D, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Renaissance Dallas Hotel. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Allison was so helpful! We know that it's the little things that make your stay more comfortable. Please know we have taken action regarding the situation with our Room Service trays and will ensure that this problem does not occur again at our hotel. Again, thank you for your kind comments. We enjoyed taking care of you!

Mark Woelffer

Been to Renaissance Dallas Hotel? Share your experiences!