“Lovely (but overpriced) Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Rewards Points!
Ranked #36 of 193 Hotels in Dallas
White Plains, New York
“Lovely (but overpriced) Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I attended a meeting that was booked in the Renaissance Dallas Hotel. While the stay was lovely, I was dismayed at the mandatory valet parking - combination of $22/night plus waiting for the car & the staff that really wants an extra tip. The room was clean enought, although another person in our group had to wait a long time for her room to be made up. Luckily I picked up food at a little taco stand around the corner before a late night check in - all food on site is VERY overpriced. Little options for picking up a quick snack or light breakfast. The next morning, I got the car out & took a quick drive around the corner to a local Starbucks & got a much better breakfast than the $14 continental on site. While it is fine for business, I would not stay there on my own - over priced room cost, valet parking, etc. When our group was picked up for dinner at a downtown resteraunt, we had to walk through the construction zone to get to the bus lane as the drive way is too small to accomodate a bus. Picture doing this while dressed up & in high heels!

The property is very unique with the oval shaped building & very beautiful. The meeting rooms were well set up & the food served was well prepared & very good. Likely overpriced, though! Would be nice to have a small bistro onsite that could do reasonably priced snacks or meals.

Room Tip: Great place for a business meeting
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

It was nice. Booked via a Internet travel site huge savings compared to lobby rate. Internet is not free in the room 13 bucks a day. Roof top pool has zero view as its surrounded by a 7 ft wall. The same with the workout room. No windows but on the 30 th floor. That seems odd to me. Hotel bar and restaurant were nice

• Stayed April 2013
OKLAHOMA CITY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Dallas Downtown Area looks fantastic from an upper floor of this magnificent hotel. The hotel has wonderful amenities and each room is spacious and plush. The Hotel staff are great with their aiming to please everyone that walks through the hotel doors. I was not able to eat in the restaurant, but the people that I was with said it was like eating at any Five Star restaurant. This City is the New York City, or Toronto, Ontario, gateway to the South.

Room Tip: If you do not mind heights stay on a upper level to see the city with a view from your hotel room.
Norfolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

When we go to Dallas we have to rent a car to get around for business. We have stayed at this hotel for over ten years. The billboard out front proclaims that they are in the process of building a parking garage and ballroom. That is nice. When we pull into the parking lot to park our car there were many signs instructing us to pull up for valet parking. To me that is another room charge add on and I will not do it. Well when we pulled up the man at our car window said the ONLY parking was valet...no other options no where to go to park. Okay I will bite the hotdog and give in but then I ask how much is the parking...$22.00 a day..a day..we are booked there for five days..plus tax on that too so it would be more than $25.00 a day. THe car rental charge is not that a day nor is boarding our puppy.. What are they thinking HOW TO TURN PEOPLE AWAY??? On our last day of meetings we left the room at 8:30 went to dinner and got back to the room at 9:30 so count the hours, the room had yet to be made up. Got to bed after packing to get up at 5:15 am to go to the airport. No bill under the door in the morning so went down to check out and the man behind the counter said it was our fault for not calling them to get our room cleaned at 10 p.m. Don't most hotels clean your room everynight that you stay at a hotel. Is that not part of the package that you pay for the rate you pay?
I wonder when they get their parking garage done, that we are playing for, how much do you think they will charge to park there a night??

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Renaissance D, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on our Tripadvisor page. It is important that every guest have a delightful stay with us and I am disappointed that you experienced challenges with housekeeping at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apology for the issues you experienced and rest assured that they have been addressed with the appropriate departmental managers.

Thank you for your feedback as well on our valet parking. We have added all- valet parking as a feature at our hotel to enhance the safety , security, and overall guest experience of our guests and their vehicles.

Again, thank you for staying with us for the past 10 years and we hope to see you back soon!

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was a nice enough hotel for a renaissance. There were some issues when I checked in- the bed I requested was not available, so they put in a weird little corner room on a floor that smelled damp, musty and old. I requested a new room, and was given one with the king-sized bed that I originally requested, on a floor that wasn't as musty. This room was much larger and nicer. I guess because the hotel is shaped like an oval, the rooms at the end of each floor are oddly shaped. I don't think the housekeeping staff finished cleaning my room the first day, so when I came back, the bed was made, dirty towels were removed, but nothing (glasses, towels, shampoo and conditioner) was replaced. Other guests' room services dishes were left out in the hallway for way too long- the room next to mine had a plate outside for a full day, and the room across the hall left a dish with pie on it, uncovered, that had been sitting there for a day and a half when I checked out. Housekeeping took room service glasses from the rooms (sometimes still filled with liquids) and put them on the floor in the corner of the lobby by the elevator, where they also sat for days. Other than that, service was good, restaurant was tasty and reasonably priced. The hotel could use a separate lounge and coffee shop, though.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room at either of the far ends of the floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I want to apologize for the issues you experienced with Housekeeping and Room Service. We pride ourselves on our service and and are continually looking for ways to improve and enhance our services. Based on your comments, we have tightened some of our processes in order to give our guests the best experience possible.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our restaurant! Our restaurant is a favorite in Dallas and is patronized by many locals as well as our hotel guests. Please try our flat iron steak when you return to Dallas. It is one of the best!

Argyle, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for my birthday in one of the suites. The room was spacious, and the bed was amazing!
The living area was big enough for at least five adults, though the only slight let-down was the bathroom left a little to be desired, particularly the bathtub.

The staff were courteous, polite, and prompt. Despite a little snafu checking out, the problem was quickly and professionally handled with a minimum of fuss.

Certainly a hotel we could recommend, and would stay at again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Than you for the great review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and our staff. We are also glad the room was large enough to accomodate 5 adults comfortably!

We hope to see you again soon!

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I had a free night Marriott Rewards stay and decided to try the Renaissance hotel in Dallas. While the room was clean, the bathroom was small and they had no King beds. The room was also by the elevator and very noisy. We ordered room service which was pricey but tasted overall good. The valet service was prompt but also pricey.

• Stayed March 2013