“Just OK for the Renaissance brand” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Dallas Hotel

You added Renaissance Dallas Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Dallas Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2222 Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, TX 75207 (Northwest Dallas-love Field)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #35 of 190 Hotels in Dallas
Long Island, NY
“Just OK for the Renaissance brand”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance Dallas for a week during a business trip. Lobby was nice. Check-in was a little slow but nothing to complain about. We checked in closer to 8 PM so perhaps the line had dwindled a bit. Rooms we fairly typical and straightforward. The hotel is shaped somewhat like an oval, so the size of the room seems to depend greatly on the room number you receive. I was put into a room close to the end of the hotel, so the room definitely felt cramped once inside. The lounge chair in the room was wedged between the wall and the nightstand and barely fir the space. Not a complaint as much as an observation. Everything else in the room was satisfactory.
There is quite a bit of construction currently going on outside of the hotel. It doesn't really get in the way of your stay but it is noticeable and some of the exits out of the hotel are non-passable. As a result you end up leaving the hotel by driving down a row of spaces meant for traffic coming the other way. Also of note is that the parking, while free, can be tight if you come back to the hotel later in the night. There are spots available but you will end up parked some distance from the lobby in what felt like an overfill lot. All in all I would stay here again as a I like the Marriott brand and try to keep my business consolidated. I have stayed across the street at the Marriott Suites and this hotel is far nicer. That said, this hotel seems right in the middle for the Renaissance brand.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the center of the hotel as they are bigger based on the oval shape of the tower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was my second time staying here as I come each year for my daughter's cheerleading competitions. To start off with, check in was painstakingly slow. I stood in one place for 15 minutes without moving. They really should set up a single queue so that dimwits (who clearly want to ignore the single line we civilized people have formed down the center), can't just walk up to one of the lines on the far left or right. Still not sure what took so long. When it was my turn, a nice man named Walter helped me out and I was done in just a few minutes. They did have a list of "rules" for the weekend, since there was a large number of young children in the hotel because of the cheerleading competition. They even had a curfew, which I appreciated. Of course, I still heard kids running and screaming down the halls at 1:00 am, but I blame the parents, not the hotel.

To my dismay, I got the first room right next to the elevators. Not sure what it is about stepping off an elevator that makes people laugh hysterically or shout at each other, but that is all I heard the entire weekend. Well, that and the constant noise from the elevators since I shared a wall with them. Ask for a room further down. I am always amazed at how inconsiderate people can be in hotels with the noise. Is it that hard to speak in a low tone while walking past people's rooms in the middle of the night?

Ok, my biggest gripe about the place was the slamming doors. Is there not some mechanism they can place on the doors to keep them from slamming? Not only that, but the gust of wind from each slamming door would shake my own door. I've stayed in dozens of hotels and don't ever recall hearing this problem before.

Housekeeping came later in the day each day, and I was already back in my room by then. Kind of annoying, but I guess somebody's room has to get cleaned later in the day. I just asked for clean towels and skipped the cleaning for the weekend.

Didn't eat at the restaurant or use the valet, so I can't comment on that. Self parking was fine, and most importantly, free, although their parking lot confuses me somewhat.

All I all, an okay place. Nothing really stood out as special or bad. But please fix those doors!

Room Tip: Away from elevators
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My son and I were driving from Denver to Houston and stayed here one night. The rooms are really big and super nice. Comfy beds, great bathroom, super views of downtown. We had dinner at the Asador restaurant in the lobby and it was great. The food is so fresh and healthy but with delicious and complex flavors. A welcome respite from road chow. Our server James was so friendly and nice, he even brought my purse up to the room after I left it at the table...like I said, long drive....maybe the tequila agave cocktail had something to do with it too. If you're looking for a convenient and classy hotel, try this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Family and I wanted to use Marriott points near Love Field. Thought I'd get something nicer than normal since I was with them. Room was nice, but not plush. Felt like they did a quick makeover and called it good. Main hotel was nice. Keep in mind we arrive late: Ate off of 'grill late night menu'. The sandwiches looked liked a 3yr old made them (at $12 a pop for a club). Then the bell hop hooked me up with a guy with a van to catch a ride to Love. I'm not cheap, just frugal, and he was already parked out front and obviously a regular for the hotel. "same as taxi $" is what I was told. People this is like a 8 min drive. It cost me $35 w/ tip. Whatever. Family go there fine, guy was nice. Just add up the crappy late night dinner and some bs with the taxi and the rest is cake. Meaning you might be disappointed but not completely let down.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cypress, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife, nephew and I checked into the Renaissance Dallas Hotel this past Friday night, 15th February 2013. A few minutes after checking in we headed to our room. Once in the room the three of were talking and then a fourth friend who was staying in another room in the hotel joined us. It was around 10:00 PM when we checked into the hotel room.

We had been in the room a total of around 10 minutes when we heard a knock on the door. I answered the door to find Kristen Achttien (assistant front desk manager) and Al Cox (LP Officer) standing in the door way. They told me that they had received a complaint that we were being loud and that if I did not keep it down that they would be forced to kick me out of the hotel!

I proceeded to explain to them that we had just gotten to our room and that we had not been load and that we were just talking about the day’s events and planning for tomorrow. She shushed me several times and told me that we had been too loud. They then told me that I had to sign a form or else I would be kicked out! I told them I was not signing anything and that we were not a problem.

Then Al Cox said he would not be disrespected by a customer and that he would just call the police and have us removed from the property. Please keep in mind that neither I nor anyone in my party was rude or raised our voice. I merely tried to explain to them that we had not been load and that we were not a problem and would not be a problem. Al Cox and Kristen Achttien insisted that I sign the paper and handed it to me and I promptly tried to hand it back to them. When they would not accept it I tossed it on the ground.

Again the threat came to call the police so I signed the paper and retrieved my bags from my room and the three of us checked out of the hotel. We then booked a room at the Hilton Anatole across the street for less money and a room twice the size of the room I had at the Renaissance Dallas Hotel.

I also must reference a statement made by Kristen Achttien “the walls are really thin in this hotel so you need to keep it down”. Now why is it my problem the walls are thin!

Just so you know… I travel all over the world for business. I own my own Engineering Company. I spent nearly 150 days in hotels last year and have done this for the past 17 years and have never had something like this happen to me. I felt like this was handled inappropriately and that Kristen Achttien and Al Cox were both way out of line and extremely rude!

Because of this situation I have made a decision to not stay in any of the Marriot branded hotels going forward. Today I canceled my reservation I had made for the 8th – 11th March 2013 at the Renaissance Detroit Hotel and have chosen another hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Renaissance D, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor concerning the issues you experienced during your stay at our hotel.

After reviewing your comments with our team, we feel that the Manager on Duty and our Security Officer were following hotel procedure regarding the noise complaints from adjacent hotel rooms .

The hotel holds the responsibility to ensure that each and every guest maintains an acceptable noise level in their room insuring all guests a comfortable night's rest. Therefore, it is our hotel’s policy for the Manager on Duty and a Security Officer to follow up every noise complaint with a visit to said room.

Again, I want to apologize for the situation that occurred and hope you understand the hotel’s responsibility in this matter.

Mark Woelffer
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just back from a weekend stay at The Renaissance Dallas Hotel, and to start I do have to say the staff was overall friendly, and check in was quick and painless. The views (they put us up on the 16th floor /hotel is 30 stories high) was spectacular ! Also a big plus of this hotel is that parking is completely FREE which provided some immediate savings. The hotel does have a restaurant on site, a bit too pricey for me but told the food was delicious if you are okay with paying high prices. There are many cabs outside the hotel so this was another added plus as most nights I took cabs into the Uptown area with an average cost of $ 12 each way. That said I did encounter a first bad experience - Upon leaving the hotel for a early dinner for 3 hrs I came back to my room to find my door was left open. The housekeeping staff in the process of cleaning my room pushed out the latch to keep the door from closing - and when they finished they never placed the latch in place and closed my room door. I was gone for 3 hours, and my room was left open for anyone to come in and steal anything from my laptop to clothes etc..I did contact the hotel manager who stated she would take this up with housekeeping. This left a complete negative experiene for me, as things could have been much worse. The other negative (minor) was that quick check out via their hotel menu on TV was not available so I had to check out at the front desk. Overall the experience was average other than the free parking and the view there was not much else to brag about - however because of the experience with my hotel room door being left open by their housekeeping staff I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Request High Floor for the best views !!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Check-in was professional and the staff was helpful and warm, even during the rush. The view on the city side of hotel on the higher levels are breathtaking. Only one downside though the tub in the bathroom area seems to be a little cramped but all in all the hotel is perfect. The location of the hotel is centrally located, near freeway and has tons of restaurants and attractions nearby. I will return!

Room Tip: Higher floor facing the city is a win win!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Renaissance Dallas Hotel? Share your experiences!