“AVERAGE Hotel; Staff was clueless and apathetic” 3 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #28 of 188 hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“AVERAGE Hotel; Staff was clueless and apathetic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

For purposes of full disclosure, I am a Diamond Hyatt member (meaning I have a mimimum of 25 stays at Hyatt's per year). For this visit, which was unfortunately for a family funeral, the dissapointment started before I even left my car.

For starters, the entire valet operation is a complete cluster. We arrived at 2pm on a Friday, and there were thee different lines of cars, each line 6 cars deep, waiting to be valeted. Once we finally reached the unloading area, multiple bellhops and valets were merely standing around joking with each other, completely oblivious to us, our luggage, or our vehicle. Out of frustration after waiting several minutes, we left, went and found our own luggage cart, and loaded our bags ourselves, and subsequently hauled them to our room.

We went to dinner the same night, and returned at 10:30pm...to the same level of vehicles waiting and the same level of apathy. Coincidence?

Checking in, the staff was no different. I even made my frustration apparent but was shrugged off.

25 minutes after arriving in our room, there was a knock on the door and an "engineer" needed to come in a "check the thermostat". Really? Like you didn't know we were coming?

TV remote didn't work, we called down twice, but never received a replacement. Instead we were challenged with the question, "Who did you talk to?".

Food was average at best, but certainly cost above average.

Overall, a complete dissapointment. I won't return.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

997 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Whitefish Bay, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were here for a wedding (April 19th-21st) centered around this location. While the hotel is huge and was filled to the max, everything was great. Our room in the Skyline section of the hotel was quiet, great view, close to the Fitness Center, and included those motion activated lights mentioned in other reviews...a nice touch! Check in was through the touch screen kiosk, and check out was flawless as well. While I cannot comment on any of the property's restaurants as we did not eat there, the proximity to the West End as well as to all of our wedding venue locations proved that this was an excellent choice for us. One minor note: We did look at the pool and for a hotel of this size, the pool seemed to be an afterthought.

Room Tip: Higher the better in the Skyline section.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ft Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The north tower is only a 15 story section of the hotel so we were not sure we would like the room because of a lesser veiw. Then we were totally thrilled to find out that this section just reopened and was only a few weeks old! Spectacular rooms with exceptional furnishings and finishes. The overall condition of the facility is also exceptional with a great lobby bar that looks at the 30 story atrium. The "Dash" transportation station is right at the enterance and you can go virtually anywhere around town all day for only $5.

Room Tip: Take the North Tower City View.
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Was there April 24-26, 2013. Room 0996, one of the skyline rooms. Was told at desk the hotel had been completely renovated. Can't speak to the entire set of rooms, but this room was great. Beautiful and stylish, wonderful lighting including a motion activated night light next to the bed. Window treatments were power operated, a nice touch

Bathroom was wonderfully redone.

Not a single complaint for this room.

Overall a very good experience, although I didn't use any of the amenitities other than the bar.

Room Tip: I have no idea what the rack rate was, but I was part of a group and had an excellent rate. If you...
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

So, this is maybe the third Hyatt I have ever stayed in, their network of hotels is just too small so I've tended to stick to Hilton/ Marriott. There was a conference here so I had to book here at the conference rate of $199 per night, which included free wifi in the room and all facilities. All my food was included in my event, so I can't comment on it other than to say there was a coffee place in the lobby that always seemed to have 8-10 people in line.

Good
- Extremely fast and friendly check-in with room requests honored.
- The itself looked brand new and was impeccable cleaned and tidy upon arrival and every subsequent day.
- Free newspaper (WSJ) provided daily AND (it is the small things that the good places get right!) on Sunday when WSJ wasn't published, they provide the local newspaper.
- Large gorgeous windows (of the highway and flat Texas landscape, granted) with double automated blinds (...small quibble, randomly would go up and down once during the night). Really nice working lounge chair up against the window.
- Large flat screen TV with many channels.
- Quality coffee machine and coffee.
- Very nice stand-in shower that was always hot with great pressure.
- Very nice modern bathroom with great upscale toiletries that were replaced daily.
- Comfortable bed and pillows.
- First time I have been really "wowed" by a hotel feature in a LONG time....they had small little motion sensor lights along the floor that would light the path to the bathroom at night if you started going that direction. Brilliant!!
- Quick check-out, easy luggage storage. Never any lines at the front desk (they were probably all stuck in the elevator lines!).

Concern
- Elevators. Really the worst thing of this property. ALWAYS had to queue in line of 5-10 minutes to get up to my room (coming down was strangely never an issue).
- Always seemed to be a back-up to park at this place and parking spots were always hard to come by. It is right under the "golf ball" in downtown D though.

Overall
Really great property and has me rethinking giving Hyatt another shot in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Fairfax Station, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival I had a few minute wait to be checked in. This was reasonable considering the hotel was at capacity. The person checking me in was super friendly and engaged me in conversation and offered suggestions of what to do in Dallas.

The room was average. Beds a not that comfortable. We had a bath to that nada drainage issue that plagued us the whole stay. An inconvenience but you just had to wait 20 minutes after each shower. There was ample desk room. The TV was a bit small for the size of the room. They do have all electronic window treatments which were fun to use. We had a city view room which was nice. The windows are not sealed well enough and lots of the noise from the trains going by filter into the room.

Room service was prompt. Food was average. The Centenial restaurant had a nice breakfast selection. The only complaint I had was that the toasters took nearly 15 minutes to toast two pieces of bread. Service was friendly.

There is a FedEx Office on site with reasonable hours. They turned around a project for me very quickly.

It was nearly impossible to find the elevator to the Wolfgang Puck restaurant in Runion Tower. We were foiled for three days in figuring it out. We finally asked someone who knew. Definitely need much better signage to direct traffic.

The Hyatt Regency is located on the DART light rail system. This makes it extremely convenient to get around town. It costs only $5 per day for a ticket. You access the system through a tunnel in the hotel. It is also within 10 minutes, by foot, to shopping and restaurants.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during a business conference in April 2013. To start it is a huge property, so there are innately pluses and minuses that go with that size. Pluses include plenty of amenities and services available on property from a Fed Ex Office and good sized fitness center to multiple dining options. On the downside, harder to keep up with the details expected of a property that ranks itself as "top of class;" such as the issues I had in my room from a broken hair dryer to an entire section of my room's electric not working, to consistency of newspaper delivery (supposed to get it every day in a 6-day stay, got a total of 3 papers - 50% success rate). The other MAJOR issue I had with my stay was the teen girl volleyball tournament also at the property during my stay. So, one of the advantages of a large property (having run one with over 1500 rooms I know of what I speak) is you SHOULD be able to put groups somewhat together within the hotel. Guess what, this was not the case for the multiple groups at the hotel during my stay. So, those of us there for business had "the pleasure" of dealing with noisy teens at all hours of the day and night. I realize how exciting it was for them, but as I had early and long days, the perpetual noise issues (from hallway gatherings at all hours, to door slamming as they gathered in rooms, etc.) not great for the "tranquility" that this Hyatt guarantees. On a positive note, the staff I did encounter were always very polite and kind. Finally, who designed the room set up? The coffee "fixings" and pot are hidden and in a little alcove and in order to use them you have to move them all the way across the desk/bureau set up as no plugs near where they are "stored." As to decor, I have to say it distinctly reminds me of Aloft or Element properties and I don't mean that as a compliment. So, while my stay was fine, for the price, I'll find something else next time I'm in Dallas.

Room Tip: Two distinct sections that aren't joined, so if going with multiple people make sure you request...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Dallas? Share your experiences!