“The Fairmont is about service--not here” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 North Akard Street, Dallas, TX 75201   |
Ranked #19 of 190 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“The Fairmont is about service--not here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

We had a terrible time with the valet at this hotel. The comment was made that they did not know if I was coming or going. My response was, does it matter? The hotel was fantastic. The room was great and the hotel was wonderful. Call before you go, we went looking forward to a great afternoon at the pool. No one said anything about the fact that it was drained and not a single pool chair or chaise to be found. Disappointed my son a great deal. Would stay here again, but would make sure that I called and asked if the hotel was providing full service.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
north america
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

Second buisness trip to Fairmont Dallas in 3 weeks, both stays were bad. First stay room OK but awakened by engineering pounding on something in the hallway at 7am! complaints to front desk did no good. Also Valet parking was terrible took about 45 minutes to get my car after calling 20 minutes ahead! Come on people some of us have to get to work!
Current trip I am in 4th room to finally get something marginally acceptable. First room had bad mildew stench, set my allergies off just opening the door, actually just getting off the elevator. the whole south 4th floor smells bad. Second room had a big wad of tissue like a spitball stuck to the wall by the bathroom, yellow water in the toilet and lots of missing towels. The third room had unbelievably a huge cigarette burn, ON THE BATHTUB! There were actually many burn and melt marks in the tub! Nice! My request to get a manager to come to my room and look at the tub were ignored but the front desk took me on a tour of available rooms to find clean one. Some luxury hotel. I stay in hotels usually 230 to 260 nights a year, I have rarely seen hotels in such run down condition. Maybe I have been lucky for the last 20 years.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Upper Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

Really great experience. Room, Staff, Location.

Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
atlanta,georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

Everyone I dealt with at this hotel had one word that was not in their vocabulary and that word was NO.Tthey were able to accomodate anything I asked for. The rooms were spotless and very well appointed. The wireless internet worked great but it did cost extra. The room price was very good for a downtown hotel but the restaurants and bar were a little pricey but probably no more so than a downtown hotel in any other big city. The dinner in the restaurant was delicious. The only criticism I would have is that I ordered a house wine and the waiter poured about three sips into the glass.
Other reviewers here complained about the lack of a refrigerator but my room had a refrigerated minibar with plenty of extra room in it. Yes, the items in the minibar were overpriced but no more so than any other hotel.
I would agree that the valet parking at $21 costs more than self parking. So, park across the street or around the block at the parking meters and keep plugging quarters in the meter. What do you expect in the middle of downtown? The best way to get the car is to call ahead for it. The wait was not long at all. When we stayed there the hotel was full but there were plenty of valets on duty.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Iowa Park, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

Just returned from a conference at the Fairmont. The staff were very professional and acknowledged me even when just passing in the hall or lobby. Very easy check in and out. The bed was comfortable, spacious and clean. There were some signs of aging in the bathroom and it certainly could use a new showerhead.

I got a great promotional rate so the price was right. The conference facilities were also very nice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I just got back to Boston from Dallas today and as tired as I am, I wanted to write this review. I am VERY picky person when it comes to cleanliness and safety and The Fairmont is a pretty nice hotel, the room I was in (King bed) was a good size fairly update and there was a few dumb things like the pool being drained and re-tiled, flat panel tv was nice, and the room was clean- except I have to be honest, they do need to vacuum around the bed frame legs... anyhow I always wear slippers, but, it was clean, the bed had failry crisp white down feather pillows and blankets, in another review someone complained about the throw at the end of the bed being dirty, I think its the fabric that makes it appear that way...crushed velvet type of fabric. Anyhow, I went to the Hyatt at Reunion Blvd, where my colleagues where staying and it was nasty- the rooms were old and dated, and a street person was roaming the lobby asking for money! The Fairmont is really safe, they dont even allow pizza delivery people up to the rooms, you have to come down to get it. The bellman is an older man and the valet guy as well, both are really helpful and awesome! Checking in was a breeze, but make sure you check your itemized bill, they accidently charged me for 1 day of parking @ $21.00- I called the desk and it was taken care of before I checked out... Check out was so simple, no waiting at all.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

The Fairmont Dallas has an excellent location for the downtown Arts District; 1 block to the Dallas Museum of Art (with, for a few more weeks, the traveling Tut exhibit), 2 blocks to the Nasher Sculpture Center, 2 blocks to the Crow Collection of Asian Art, 1 block to the McKinney Ave. Trolley, just a few blocks to the Dart rail line, and a few blocks to Thanks-Giving Square with its interesting chapel.

We got an extremely good, online-only rate of under $100-a-night for a deluxe king room on the Fairmont Web site (one slightly scary catch: it was a pay-in-advance, nonrefundable rate; fortunately, we didn't get ill or otherwise have to cancel our trip, so it did work out perfectly for us, but it still made me a bit nervous).

The room was large, well furnished and had a nice downtown view (we could see Dallas' famous, old Mobil Pegasus neon sign from our window). You could find a few little signs of normal wear-and-tear in some of the furniture and fixtures, particularly in the bathroom, but nothing that in any way detracted from our comfort or enjoyment of the room. Might be just enough to disappoint someone heavily fixated on a utterly immaculate 5-star luxury hotel experience, though.

The valet parking is a notable extra expense at $21 per day. While I naturally would like free parking, I do understand that this is downtown Dallas and parking is at a premium. What bugged me far more than having to pay extra for parking is that it was valet-only and we weren't given ready access to our car. So, just to fetch something out of the glovebox of the car required going through the valets with an additional 10-15 min. wait (could grow to 20 mins. at really busy times) for them to bring the car around, along with the polite but clear expectation from the valet of a small tip. Quite a substantial inconvenience; I vastly prefer self parking, whether it's paid or free.

One other minor annoyance is that the rooms, even the deluxe kings, don't come with mini-fridges. Mini-fridges are available, but only for an additional $25 (that is per stay, thankfully, rather than a per-night charge). Our room would've had plenty of space to inconspicuously place a mini-fridge. Probably a minor item for many travelers, but I must say that it definitely struck me as rather chintzy that a luxury hotel like the Fairmont didn't have as standard an amenity that's now pretty much expected in your average Comfort Inns and Best Westerns.

One tip: It's a good idea to go to the Fairmont Web site and join their free "President's Club" loyalty program, ideally before making your reservation. As a "President's Club" member, you get free in-room Internet access and free local calls, plus expedited check-in and check-out. Since there's no charge to join, it's definitely worth the few minutes it takes to sign up.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairmont Dallas? Share your experiences!