“In the heart of downtown” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 North Akard Street, Dallas, TX 75201   |
Ranked #19 of 189 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“In the heart of downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I attended a business conference in Dallas.

The Fairmont was reasonably priced and one of the few better properties downtown.

Dallas closes down early in the evening and there wasn't much to do outside of the property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay for your business conference. As the Dallas Arts District hotel, we are surrounded by an array of cultural attractions and are conveniently located near the Uptown trolley and the DART rail. We are located steps away from many cultural venues including the Nasher Sculpture Center, the Dallas Museum of Art, Klyde Warren Park, in addition to entertainment, shopping, fine dining, and more. Our concierge is always available to help you plan your itinerary for future stays. Thank you for your feedback. We hope that you will come back to visit us again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Mustang, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Had a Weekend Stay, Room was great.. Huge Bathroom. Nice Outdoor view from the 22nd floor. Great location to everything in Downtown. valet parking was prompt, even with the long drive they had to go on to park cars.

Room Tip: Higher Up rooms have Less Noise, and have a Better view of Down Town and the Arts District.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
East Windsor, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I were in town for the Bush library dedication and decided to stay at the Fairmont. It is reasonably priced (not cheap but not over the top either) and well-located in the heart of downtown. The staff all were gracious and welcoming. The room was on the small side, especially the bathroom, but well-appointed and attractive. The breakfast room service was silly-expensive (really, a continental breakfast should not need to cost $25) but we needed to get some food before heading out. Ah, well. All in all, much to like about the hotel and a few dislikes but nothing major.

Room Tip: The upper rooms offer a nice view of Dallas, if one thinks Dallas has nice views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay for the Bush Presidential Library dedication. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the modern guest room décor and our convenient location. Our hotel colleagues strive to ensure that our guests receive consistently warm and engaging service, and I’m pleased to hear that your experience reflected that commitment. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Dallas!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The staff were very friendly for the most part, but the room was not what I expected for a supposedly new five star hotel. Room was average at best and not as clean as the Hampton Inn, which would have been my choice - if I had one. Room service and restaurants were overpriced and food was not what I expected it would be for a hotel of this caliber. I will not stay here again if I am given a choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I am writing this still checked in the hotel. On the day of our arrival at 3:15pm for a business convention our taxi pulled up to the front where we were greeted by the bellmen only after we started removing our luggage from the trunk. The friendly bellman then brought our luggage directly to the check-in counter where we were pleasantly greeted by the receptionist only to be told our room was not available yet as the prior guest still had not checked out. We did receive two drink coupons and a $50 meal credit for our inconvenience to use while we waited for our room to be vacated. An hour and a half later at 4:45pm we were finally able to get into our room.

The receptionist indicated to us that we were getting a room in the north tower that was more recently updated and in a nice location away from the elevators. Recently updated may have been 15-20 years ago so I would hate to see what the south tower looks like. We are in a large suite on the 12th floor and while we are a few rooms down from the elevator we can still hear the elevator traversing up and down all the while we are in the room. I would not appreciate being in a room any closer to the elevators. We can also hear the guest in the room above us running that bathroom sink, shower and toilet like they are actually in our room. Both my wife and I woke up the first night actually thinking someone was in our bathroom. In the ceiling above the bathroom there is considerable other noises and vibrations (possibly from water pipes) that periodically get quite intense as if you think something is going to fall through the ceiling. We are in a suite with only one vanity sink, a toilet you would expect to see in a public restroom (not in a suite at a Fairmont hotel) and a small non-soaking tub unless you are a child.

Pros:
Friendly Staff
Clean
Centrally located to the museum district

Cons:
Extremely old and dated
Not very well insulated from noise or weather

We have stayed at the Fairmont in San Jose, California about 8-10 years ago and now Dallas, Texas and in both cases the hotels have been old, run-down and dated. I do not know if they have updated San Jose since our last stay so I can not say if the conditions have improved. Everyone we know thinks of Fairmonts as "hoity-toity" properties, but thus far I have only found them to be over-rated properties catering to an older crowd that does not know any better thinking they are getting what the Fairmont once was in its heyday.

I have one more planned stay at the Fairmont in Vancouver British Columbia next month and if that is not any better I can not see myself ever staying at a Fairmont property again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello, and thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. We are very disappointed to hear that your stay was unsatisfactory. Feedback such as yours is especially valuable as we consistently strive to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. We sincerely regret that you had an inconvenient arrival and experienced noise during the evening. I will share your comments with the appropriate hotel department leaders to ensure that these issues are addressed. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at dallas[at]fairmont[dot]com to facilitate appropriate follow up. I would also like to note that our hotel is currently undergoing an extensive property renovation including upgraded modern guest room decor. We invite you to visit our property again and hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Bloomington, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

i really have nothing bad to say about this refurbished hotel. great downtown location to restaurants and bars and an easy walk to museums plus a nice stroll to the west end and the dragonfly restaurant. the hotel bar is fun and nicely located between the north and south towers. the rooftop pool is great. i'm not sure if they have attendants during the summer season but it would have been nice to have a server ready to take a cocktail order. the large room accommodated two queen beds and a pull out sofa sufficiently and with three people there was plenty of room to spare. however the bathroom is inefficiently small, a tiny vanity with the toilet right at the bathroom door without a ceiling fan. the hotel is a beautiful space and the staff is adequate. one word of advice when using a cab. know where you're going. my driver took me twenty blocks out of my way and because i used my gps i called him out. he made a terrible scene and made all kinds of excuses why he did that. bottom line, he tried to scam me and i didn't pay for the ride. but, the fairmont hotel was not responsible and i would recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Located in the heart of Downtown Dallas, the Fairmont gives comfortable central location to see the sites of downtown Dallas. Walk to Dealey Plaza (see review) or hike to one of the many museums downtown. If you need to venture out of the city, the hotel will give you easy access to I35e, or to Texas Rt’s 114 or 121 to DFW, however watch out for the massive construction and bottlenecks on most of the major highways.

There are many great restaurants a short walk or taxi ride from the hotel. I wouldn’t recommend the hotel restaurant in the Fairmont, Pyramid. It’s too pricey and the food isn’t really that great.

The rooms are comfortable. Our room was a king on the 8th floor overlooking the pool. This is one of the few hotels where I had access to a walk in closet. Robes are provided by the hotel. The bathroom has high quality shampoos and lotions. Housekeeping is very sensitive to the needs of the guest

The bar for upscale hotels is high by my standard (and probably theirs also), so a few factors kept The Fairmont from a 5 star rating, notably, the restaurant, Pyramid (see TA review). Check-in was good, however we asked about the 19th century yellow home next to the hotel and we were told (after the front desk called a concierge) that it was a government building; however, we in fact learned that it was the first grammar school in Dallas (circa 1900). I would challenge the hotel to know more about downtown Dallas than Dealey Plaza. During our stay, the helpline operator dropped the ball a couple times on requests for my car. Finally, Valet had trouble on Saturday securing a taxi in a convenient fashion for my wife and me.

Overall, the property was a great place to hang out and tour “Big D”. We spent 3 days at The Fairmont and found it very comfortable and convenient. I would certainly stay there again and recommend any traveler to Dallas to do the same.

Room Tip: When in the big city, higher rooms are preferable. Especially in Dallas, you want a big view. On a c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fairmont Dallas? Share your experiences!