“Gelaine in the Big "D"” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Jackson, Mississippi
“Gelaine in the Big "D"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at the Fairmont, Dec.02 thru Dec.05, 2012. I was very impressed with the serivce I received during my stay. Most impressive was a man by the name of Joe Bennett who offered his services to everyone he came in contact with. I found the entire staff to be friendly and helpful. My room had been paid for since April, 2012 and I did not feel I should have had to put $100.00 a day on my credit card. I stayed on the 7th floor which is the smoking floor, and that was a huge suprise to be able to smoke. My room included a walk in closet but I did not have a very comfortable chair to sit in. The king size bed slept very well. The only resturant, the Pyramid offered incredible food and the Lounge was a nice place to socialize with associates. There were other resturants nearby in west district that offered good food and service.

Room Tip: Rooms on east side 7th floors of South Towers offers better views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

If you can afford it, for business or pleasure, stay at the Fairmont Hotel in downtown Dallas. the rooms are beautifully appointed and as the title suggests, there is a tea kettle in the room. It is almost impossible while traveling to get a cup of tea in the morning the way I like it. I always bring my own tea and honey but getting the hot water that doesn't taste like old coffee is difficult. As I was looking in the cabinets (a refrigerator stocked with liquor, snacks, candy, and water) I discovered an electric tea kettle behind the ice bucket. O.M.G. What a wonderful treat. I was able to get cream from downstair at the restaurant in the mornings before they even opened. They would NOT let me pay for it. So, I had the perfect start to each morning. Also, I don't remember her name but there was a young woman behind the bar downstairs who made the hands down best fresh marguerite I have ever had, including the margs at Guerro's in Austin. The staff was above and beyond friendly and helpful. I hate using so many superlatives but this hotel was really one of the best places I have ever stayed. Thanks to all the staff and management who made the National Guild conference so very enjoyable. I was there for four or five nights and it was completely delightful. Not to mention that you can easily walk to two Stephan Pyle restaurants downtown. If you did nothing else but stay at the Fairmont and eat at Stephan Pyle you would have a fabulous retreat.

Room Tip: I was near an elevator and there was no noise at all. The insulation is high quality.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Fairmont Dallas. We are pleased that you enjoyed the tea kettle provided in your guest room and the margaritas at The Pyramid Bar. We strive to provide many such comforts – and truly engaging, unrivalled service – for all of our hotel guests. Thank you again for sharing, and we hope that you will visit The Fairmont Dallas on your next trip to the city!
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We just returned from a long weekend in Dallas and really enjoyed our stay at the Fairmont. We booked a room on the Fairmont Gold floor, which provided us access to their lounge. The staff in the lounge treated us so well - they were very friendly and helpful. The food and drinks in the lounge were incredible - we loved the breakfast and afternoon snacks and desserts that were always plentiful. I would highly recommend staying on a Fairmont Gold floor if you can - it's well worth it!

Room Tip: Fairmont Gold floors (17-19 in the North Tower) give you access to their lounge
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel is going through renovations. I was told I was the first person to stay in my room on the 24th floor of the South Tower. However, others that were part of the conference had older rooms and even had a fire alarm go off one night.

There is only one resturant and a starbucks on premises, other wise you need a taxi for dining out and/or shopping.

Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I saw a doll in the the window that reminded me of my childhood and wanted it for my granddaughter for Christmas. She really wanted it, too. Rosalee hunted all around for a new doll like it but to no avail. She shipped the window doll. When the doll arrived the mechanism for song was broken. I called Rosalee to see what could be done. Remembering the story of my childhood doll, Rosalee, in one day, located another , a better doll, contacted her superiors and asked if she could replace the broken doll for my granddaughter's Christmas. Needless to say, I am praying that God will bless Rosalee abundantly for her kindness and caring for a grandmother who is going to receive big points for making dreams come true this Christmas. Thank you, Fairmont Hotel for recognizing the precious jewel you have in Rosalee from the Gift Shop. Kind Regards, Jean Marie Giegerich, Corpus Christi, Texas

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Fairmont Dallas. Our passion is hospitality, and your recent service experience is a great example of how our team strives to turn moments into memories for all of our guests. We will share your kind words and gratitude with Rosalee. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again on your next trip to Dallas!
North Liberty, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The staff were always very friendly and always tried to be as quick and helpful as possible. The staff is truly great.

However... they were absolutely overwhelmed by the 300 person conference and it was well after 4:00pm and many of us still didn't have rooms available. The walls are paper thin! There were two guys in the room next to mine and I could hear them as clearly as if they were in my room with me and they weren't yelling or even using raised voices. That was a common complaint from around the conference. On the last day (12/5/12) many of us didn't have hot water in the morning. If you're going to bill yourself as able to handle a conference event of that size, then I expect you to be able to provide hot showers when we're all getting ready for the day in a 1 hour window.

It was a bit of a walk to the 7-11 and further to anything else. There's not much that's 'right outside the door' close and many of the women said they felt really uncomfortable walking around the area on their own. Some were definitely being overly cautious but that was a very common sentiment.

Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Checked out this morning so this review is fresh! Attended a conference with 300 others for 4 days. Rate was acceptable for this hotel. While the concierge folks were very polite and helpful but sometimes there just wasn't enough information given. For example, steering a lone female to a park nearby. I couldn't imagine going to a park by myself near a freeway by myself on foot. What I wasn't told that it was the new Klyde Warren Park (later I learned that it was new, spanned a freeway, and was heavily policed). Missing information several times. This hotel is nice, worn as previously stated in some areas. There is nothing to do in the immediate area except eat and drink. No shopping, just art, museums, etc. The rooms have been updated, beds are nice, pillows fine, flatscreen tv, and are, in general nice rooms. Hot water and faucets in my room were challenged however. I had to let the water run for about 10 minutes to get any hot water, pressure was poor. Staff there seems to be hardworking, however, maybe just not happy, except for the fellow in the lobby that helps everyone beyond belief! He acts like he loves his job! The wake-up call lady and the lobby guy are the hotel's two best employees and to me, exhibit true Texas hospitality. Really, this is an old downtown hotel that was abandonded by everyone else except high rise business. This would be a great place for a wedding, meeting, conference, business lunch, etc.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Fairmont Dallas? Share your experiences!