“Not the best place for a conference” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 North Akard Street, Dallas, TX 75201   |
Ranked #19 of 188 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Southern California
“Not the best place for a conference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel is going through renovations. I was told I was the first person to stay in my room on the 24th floor of the South Tower. However, others that were part of the conference had older rooms and even had a fire alarm go off one night.

There is only one resturant and a starbucks on premises, other wise you need a taxi for dining out and/or shopping.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I saw a doll in the the window that reminded me of my childhood and wanted it for my granddaughter for Christmas. She really wanted it, too. Rosalee hunted all around for a new doll like it but to no avail. She shipped the window doll. When the doll arrived the mechanism for song was broken. I called Rosalee to see what could be done. Remembering the story of my childhood doll, Rosalee, in one day, located another , a better doll, contacted her superiors and asked if she could replace the broken doll for my granddaughter's Christmas. Needless to say, I am praying that God will bless Rosalee abundantly for her kindness and caring for a grandmother who is going to receive big points for making dreams come true this Christmas. Thank you, Fairmont Hotel for recognizing the precious jewel you have in Rosalee from the Gift Shop. Kind Regards, Jean Marie Giegerich, Corpus Christi, Texas

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Fairmont Dallas. Our passion is hospitality, and your recent service experience is a great example of how our team strives to turn moments into memories for all of our guests. We will share your kind words and gratitude with Rosalee. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again on your next trip to Dallas!
North Liberty, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The staff were always very friendly and always tried to be as quick and helpful as possible. The staff is truly great.

However... they were absolutely overwhelmed by the 300 person conference and it was well after 4:00pm and many of us still didn't have rooms available. The walls are paper thin! There were two guys in the room next to mine and I could hear them as clearly as if they were in my room with me and they weren't yelling or even using raised voices. That was a common complaint from around the conference. On the last day (12/5/12) many of us didn't have hot water in the morning. If you're going to bill yourself as able to handle a conference event of that size, then I expect you to be able to provide hot showers when we're all getting ready for the day in a 1 hour window.

It was a bit of a walk to the 7-11 and further to anything else. There's not much that's 'right outside the door' close and many of the women said they felt really uncomfortable walking around the area on their own. Some were definitely being overly cautious but that was a very common sentiment.

Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Checked out this morning so this review is fresh! Attended a conference with 300 others for 4 days. Rate was acceptable for this hotel. While the concierge folks were very polite and helpful but sometimes there just wasn't enough information given. For example, steering a lone female to a park nearby. I couldn't imagine going to a park by myself near a freeway by myself on foot. What I wasn't told that it was the new Klyde Warren Park (later I learned that it was new, spanned a freeway, and was heavily policed). Missing information several times. This hotel is nice, worn as previously stated in some areas. There is nothing to do in the immediate area except eat and drink. No shopping, just art, museums, etc. The rooms have been updated, beds are nice, pillows fine, flatscreen tv, and are, in general nice rooms. Hot water and faucets in my room were challenged however. I had to let the water run for about 10 minutes to get any hot water, pressure was poor. Staff there seems to be hardworking, however, maybe just not happy, except for the fellow in the lobby that helps everyone beyond belief! He acts like he loves his job! The wake-up call lady and the lobby guy are the hotel's two best employees and to me, exhibit true Texas hospitality. Really, this is an old downtown hotel that was abandonded by everyone else except high rise business. This would be a great place for a wedding, meeting, conference, business lunch, etc.

Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I cannot say enough about this hotel and the staff. The room was gorgeous and cleaned perfectly every day. The staff make this hotel what it is. There's a concierge named Tony Bennett there that made my day every day. He went above and beyond to help with anything I needed from handling my luggage to area attractions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Fairmont Dallas. Your service experience is a wonderful example of how our team strives to turn moments into memories for our guests. I hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to Dallas! Thank you again for your comments.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at The Fairmont Dallas. We had a room on an upper floor and it was very nice. The bed was comfortable and the restroom and everything that goes into it worked well and were nice. The valet parking was actually efficient and the staff that we encountered throughout the hotel was top notch.

In regards to the food, we did not eat at the award winning restaurant during normal hours so take this with a grain of salt. We did order a burger and a couple of drinks at the bar. The drinks were good, the burger just OK, I was expecting better. We also ate the breakfast buffet the next morning in the restaurant. It was just OK; I would rather eat at a Golden Corral breakfast to be honest. I imagine that it would be a lot better if you ordered off the menu.

Overall this is a great hotel, one of the nicest I have stayed in. It is in a very good location and they have a great staff. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor, the view of the bridge and new park was nice.