“Good bang for the buck” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 North Akard Street, Dallas, TX 75201   |
Ranked #19 of 188 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Good bang for the buck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This Fairmont Hotel was a solid 4 star stay. I was expecting a little more though just because it was a Fairmont but it fell slightly from my expectations. When we arrived the valet parking was backed up onto the street and took around 10-15 minutes to actually drop off the car. Once we arrived in the lobby we were told that our room was not ready yet and to head up to the Club Lounge for a cocktail and appetizers. The Lounge was spacious and clean and the supervisor on duty was competent and gracious. We only had to wait approximately 20 minutes for our room which was enough time to finish my glass of champagne.

The room was a nice size, clean and fairly modern. The bathroom was rather small in my opinion but adequate for its purpose. I will say that the shower gel that they stock in the bathroom smells absolutely YUMMY! The beds were comfortable and there was minimal outside noise so I had a good sleep.

The next morning we ventured upstairs to have brunch in the Lounge. I am not sure if the Lounge was understaffed for the amount of traffic on a Sunday morning but the place was a disaster. Used dishes, napkins and other clutter were on every table even the unoccupied ones. There were no clean plates for us to use so we had to wait for some to be washed before we could use the buffet.

All in all a nice stay. I would stay there again and I would recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here 7 nights for a business event and found it to be comfortable and well run. Excellent service. Everyone was friendly and genuinely ready to help. Food was good and facilities were fine. Room was clean and comfortable. No major complaints.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I would be surprised if this stays a Fairmont for long without a major face lift. The common areas are nice. The rooms are tired and worn. The service is great. The location is off the beaten path and not a lot within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2012
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your comments. Feedback such as yours is especially valuable as we are commencing a renovation of our guest rooms this month. The redesigned guest rooms will include modern décor and new furniture for an updated, authentically Texan ambiance. We invite you to visit us again to experience the new rooms. Regarding our location, as the only hotel in the Dallas Arts District, we are located steps away from many cultural venues including the Nasher Sculpture Center, the Dallas Museum of Art, Klyde Warren Park, in addition to shopping, fine dining, and more. Our concierge is always available to help you plan your itinerary. Thank you again for providing your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

check in line was long. At 4:00 our room wasn't ready, but the desk clerk offered a free drink each at the bar, so the wait was ok. Bar area was crowded, though we were served quickly. Our room was as expected for a Fairmont. Check out was smooth.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Fairmont for three nights on business. Check-in was fairly easy, but upon getting into my room, I was greeted by a dirty toilet! Dirty as in not flushed toilet. Pretty disgusting! However, I reported it to the front desk, who offered to move me to another room (I declined), and promptly fixed the issue.

Later, I noticed that the toilet was dirty again, after I had flushed it, so it was clearly a maintenance issue and not a housekeeping issue. Similarly, the thermostat in my colleague's room didn't work, so it felt like a sauna in there. Luckily, that is his preference, but it's clear that there are some maintenance issues here, which is why I am only giving the hotel 4 out of 5.

The staff was great, and had no problem accommodating our change of plans--we had to leave two nights earlier than we expected to beat Hurricane Sandy to the northeast.

The breakfast in the morning was incredibly overpriced, but that's par for the course. The breakfast burrito was far and away the best value at $10.

My only other suggestion to the Fairmont is to redesign the bar area so there is more seating. It was always a problem to find a seat to eat or drink.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at the fairmont dallas , I did have a little problem with my bank card nothing that couldn't be fixed though . their rooms are very nice , I had a wonderful view from my room , room service is quick to come and staff was nice .

Tony bennett was a wonderful doorman , very fuuny and sweet .

• Stayed November 2012
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with your guest room and the service provided by our hotel colleagues during your stay. Our staff is committed to providing engaging, memorable service for all of our guests. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Dallas!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I'm not sure if it was just my room or the hotel. There was old wallpaper in the bathroom that looked like it was glued back on the wall several years ago and without proper caulking, rust on the metal door in the wall/ceiling, old caulking in the tub/tile seam and the toilet seat looked old with scratches painted over. The lobby is nice, but the room just felt really old and outdated. It didn't feel 4 star quality, which was disappointing. The bartender, James was great, made good drinks, and never left you waiting for the next one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
KatieNorwood, Public Relations Manager at The Fairmont Dallas, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us in this forum. I’m disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Starting this month, The Fairmont Dallas will begin the process of updating and upgrading our guestrooms and suites. This renovation will offer new, modern amenities and décor. Feedback such as yours is incredibly valuable as we work to ensure that our hotel continues to exceed the expectations of our modern guests. We hope you will return to the hotel on your next trip to Dallas, and thank you again for your feedback.

Been to The Fairmont Dallas? Share your experiences!