“Great Diner!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dallas, TX
“Great Diner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I love this restaurant! It exudes the best of Lakewood/East Dallas: families, truckers, bands, hippies, salesmen, older folks, just folks.

And the food is better than you would expect. I've never found a better burger and fries -- and I go there almost every Friday to enjoy them.

Their breakfast is so satisfying -- I would recommend John's over any brunch or breakfast place in Dallas. In fact, I would rather go to John's on Mother's Day, than any fancy hotel brunch restaurant in the city. And I'm NOT a hippie!!

I love the food--always tasty. I love John's daughter. I love JOHN!! My FAVORITE neighborhood restaurant, since 1986.

Visited April 2013

Virginia
“Hidden Gem on "Lowest" Greenville Avenue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We recently visited John's Cafe for the first time at its new location on " Lowest" Greenville Avenue (Just north of Ross Avenue). As frequent patrons of the old "Lower" Greenville (Vickery Place) location, we found a lot was familiar, and delightful. The setup is virtually the same low-key layout we came to love: booth seating on the sides and the iconic middle tables where we could frequently find copies of the daily newspaper being perused by locals and regulars over eggs, biscuits, pancakes and coffee. Even the menu boards are the old classics, though they seem to have a few new entries. We ate around lunchtime but we had breakfast, the John's mainstay, including a stack of probably the best pancakes we have eaten, along with eggs, toast, bacon and coffee. We did miss the gravy which we recall as being delicious, but we will have to come by earlier next time, as our visit was early afternoon. Service was fantastic and we were able to meet John's daughter at the counter and John himself took the time to refill our coffee mugs and renew acquaintances.

We enjoyed the pictures which adorned the walls showing the old location and the new. Everything was in place except the classic sign from the old location, but it lives on inside the store and on their website.

If you miss the iconic neighborhood diner or just want a great meal in a simple setting among old friends and new neighbors, and a great value, John's is the ticket..

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“BEST BREAKFAST IN DALLAS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We LOVE John's Cafe for breakfast! I have not eaten here for lunch but that is supposed to be good, too.

We've been going to John's since about 2004. The pancakes are incredible. The "special breakfast" is eggs any way, bacon or sausage, hash browns, and toast or biscuits (HINT: GET THE BISCUITS!) The bacon is always crispy. The biscuits are not yeast biscuits, but are light and flaky. Their gravy is very good. I've been all over Dallas to all types of breakfast places, and this is our favorite. And the special breakfast is under $7.00 for a big plate of food.

The place has a neighborhood vibe and culture - John just celebrated 40 years in business last week. Don't be surprised if the regulars walk up and serve you coffee as they're getting some, or if someone strikes up a conversation.

The only drawback: on the weekends this place gets very BUSY. Try and get there before 9 a.m. You will be waiting for a table and your food for up to 30 minutes (but it is worth it!) There are many booths, with long tables in the middle but you might be sitting at a table with some people you don't know. That's the culture of the place and the regulars are used to it. Go on a weekday if you can.

I live close by, so I often call ahead and get a to go order. So if you live close by that's an option. Just know that when you pick it up, you don't have to wait in the long line. Just bypass it and walk right up to the register and tell them you have to go (I made that mistake once!) They don't want your food getting cold and neither do you.

I take my kids (7 and 4) and they love John's. They love how John yells your number out when your food is ready (they do bring it to you) and that they make Mouse faces on the pancakes that my kids get.

If you are not used to "urban" living, the location might put you off. I've seen a homeless guy or two walking around outside before. But I've never felt unsafe in the restaurant.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best Diner Arounc!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This totally delivers. It has the best breakfast special. It was perfect to split the Breakfast Special and the Pancakes with a friend. The price is dynamite!!!

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“If you need breakfast, they have it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011 via mobile

Straightforward, but so good. Whether you've had a long night of drinking, or you're just hungry, if you need eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, etc. this is the place.

I've only had one experience on the negative side (where the Hispanic lady running the register told me it was too late in the day to order pancakes, then served some, herself, to a Spanish family next to us). Other than that, delicious and well priced.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere