“Surprising Latin Food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zaguan South American Cafe & Bakery

Zaguan South American Cafe & Bakery
2604 Oak Lawn Ave, Dallas, TX 75219-4020 (Oak Lawn)
214-219-8393
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
Bossier City, Louisiana
“Surprising Latin Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Good place to go if you are adventurous and tired of Tex-Mex. This food is from south of Mexico, so don't expect the ordinary. My whole family loved it. Even better, it won't cost you like a higher end place. We will definitely go back when we are in town.

• Visited July 2013

Houston, Texas
“A nice surprise, we'll be back often”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

In Dallas, mention a Latin Bakery and minds turn to La Duni for good reason. (I could go on and on about their endless coffe menu and the Warm Milk Chocolate Cake Pudding) My daughter's new place is just around the corner from Zaguan on Oak Lawn, so we thought we'd chance it for a quick breakfast. The minute we walked in and looked at the pastry case, we knew we'd made a good decision. We chose an outside table and ordered some strong coffee; yum! I had the Zaguan brunch for $12.99 which included an omelet with peppers topped with your choice of shredded beef or chicken in tomatoes, one arepa, and a smoothie! The omelet was large and perfectly cooked, and the beef on top was tender and juicy with just the right amount of spice. There are not enough words in the English language to properly describe the perfect Arepa. Sort of like a thin corn based English muffin with toasted cheese inside, then toasted all over goodness. The smoothies are hand made with your choice of water or milk base, and any combination of fruits you choose. I decided to try the Guanana which tasted like a combination of guava, pineapple and banana. Honestly, I can't remember what anyone else at the table had, my face was buried in my plate. Zaguan, I return to Dallas in 4 weeks, and this time I'm trying you for dinner and dessert and taking pastries to go!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wichita, Kansas
“Authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

No chain fast food here! Nothing but authentic Venezuelan food. We stopped by at lunch time and it was packed. Had to wait a few minutes for a table but it was worth the wait. Wonderful service in a casual atmosphere. Would stop here again.

• Visited May 2013
Accra
“Best Venezuela food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Nice place, real Venezuelan food, love this place on a Sunday for lunch, really nice traditional food.

Visited April 2013
East Texas
“These Yanquis loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We discovered this little gem when we asked for restaurants near us while traveling down I35 in Dallas.
The food was delicious, and very new and different to us. I had the #1 cachapa with beef and cheese. The outside was made of sweet corn filled with a well seasoned shredded beef and cheese. It came with plantain chips and salsa. It was voted #1 Latin Lunch by D Magazine, and they knew what they were talking about.
My husband had Pollo Caracus which was chicken and vegetables with rice. It was good but be wishes he had taken the plunge to have one of the unfamiliar dishes on the menu.
We will be returning to try two more of their truly way south of the border creations!

• Visited April 2013