“Still delightful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zaguan South American Cafe & Bakery

Zaguan South American Cafe & Bakery
2604 Oak Lawn Ave, Dallas, TX 75219-4020 (Oak Lawn)
214-219-8393
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
houston, texas
“Still delightful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We shared the sampler platter and split a fried cheese--both were yummy!
Then we tried the guava sandwuch cookies--heaven!
the dulce del leche sandwich cookies-- more heaven
then the flan and meringue cookies--bliss
we were very sugar charge and happy when we left

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Texas
“Excellent unique breakfast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Have to try the cachapas. So nice to have something besides toast and eggs. Super tasty.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
houston, texas
“Excellent Exotic Latin, affordable--fairly close to Dallas Market Center”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

If you're going to DMC this is not too far away
WE tried the Cachapa with chicken and avacado, plus the Zaguan sampler-- both around $10-- the sweet corn pancake was excellent--the accompanying sauce--very hot!
the plantains both green and ripe were nicely prepared.
we ended our meals with Beso de Novia and guava pasteles-- excellent

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“Skip it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

An acquaintance suggested this restaurant--otherwise, I would have driven right on by--wouldn't even have noticed it was there.

The menu was weird and the waiter even gave us a 'picture menu' of the items listed in the original menu. Oh, BROTHER! Why? If you have to give people a menu of pictures with the regular menu, maybe you should hire a professional company to write the descriptions of the menu items more clearly and customers would be able to envision the dishes the way they do at NORMAL restaurants. Picture menus? Really? Are we at McDonald's? Actually, McDonald's would have been a much better experience. At least, I would have enjoyed my food--as bad as it is for me.

Service was okay, but the menu and layout of the restaurant (helter-skelter table arrangement) put me off. I could tell from the minute we entered this place that I was going to have a bland, so-so experience and waste an hour of my life. It was just nothing special.

There is a pastry display, for lack of better words, in the front of the restaurant when you walk in. I should have said, a display of "mystery pastries". Each pasty has an in-depth description of what it is. See what I mean? Why does the customer have to wonder what the pastries are? And they are big, huge pastries--all shaped similarly--with ham and cheese and other weird ingredients that you wouldn't expect to be inside a pastry. What the ? There are some sweet cakes/desserts, but I barely got that far because the huge meat/cheese-filled pastries seem to be their focus. I just shook my head and headed for the exit--weird--just not my cup of tea, I guess. I just kept shaking my head throughout the entire experience, just as I'm doing when I write this review.

One of the people in our party actually stopped and bought several of the mystery pastries. It took an additional 20 minutes to make this transaction (I had retreated to the car at this point)--the cashier said they would go get some fresher pastries because the ones in the display case had been sitting there a while. Hmmm--I wonder for whom they were saving the old, stale ham & cheese and sweet pastries? I'm shaking my head again--makes no sense. If those pastries aren't moving out of that pastry case, then MAKE THEM FRESH TO ORDER. Who wants stale pastries of any kind?

Honestly, I couldn't wait to drive away. I won't be back, and I don't recommend this restaurant/bakery or whatever it is supposed to be. Bad--skip it!

“High quality food with a South American flare.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Everything and I mean everything is delicious. Few stellar recos would be the arepa, cachapa and the amazing coffee. Be adventuresome and try something off the beaten path. You won't regret it

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere