“W: 2 Kool 4 U” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 190 Hotels in Dallas
Houston, Texas
“W: 2 Kool 4 U”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

If you could turn a hip nightclub into a hotel, you’d have the W Dallas Victory Hotel. The W is a beautifully designed addition to Dallas’ growing skyline. Located just on the edge of downtown (at Victory), it’s walking distance to the American Airlines arena and in the middle of tons of new development. The property oozes “cool” with its smartly dressed staff, good-looking guests, swanky downstairs lounge, Bliss spa (with an incredible indoor/outdoor pool somewhere around the 15th floor), and W-themed rooms. Still, most of these cool features are to the hotel’s detriment.

So many of the pretty guests were awful to be around. The lounge is a pulsating den of drunk people screaming over the tunes that the DJ spins, and you’ll see that many of these people are locals, not guests, who come to hang out. At the top of the hotel is Ghost bar, which is a study in design gone wrong and people gone “wronger.” The staff (not the W’s own) are rude, the guests are obnoxious, and the service is slow. The lines for the elevators that take you up to the bar invade the lobby, and people sometimes wait for hours to get through them. The bar does give you some nice views of the city, and the DJs are probably Dallas’ best, so if you’re into music, it’s worth checking out.

We spent two nights at the W and left in a hurry. The rooms are clean, cute, and well designed. The views of Dallas are great, and most of the staff is nice. Sadly, none of that can make up for the guests. Both nights, we were awakened at about 2:30 a.m. by partiers hanging out in the hallways or their rooms. Security was quick to respond both times, but once I’m awakened by people screaming outside my room, I’m up! I spoke to the manager on duty, and she was sympathetic. She said that they’ve been battling noise problems since the hotel opened, but clearly they’re not doing anything to stem late-night disturbances. The manager deducted $200 from our 2-night bill, but we still paid too much for 2 sleepless nights.

I can honestly say that if I were 15 years younger, I’d be in love with the atmosphere at the W. But at the ripe age of 34, I couldn’t be persuaded to stay there again. The rooms are nice, new, and clean, but the clientele are inconsiderate, and the hotel is too concerned with its being perceived as cool to do anything about the nightclub mentality that pervades everything onsite.

• Liked — W style and branding
  • Disliked — The effect that W style and branding has on its guests
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

WARNING for visitors to the W Hotel who are planning on having dinner at Craft and valet parking your vehicle.

Craft is over priced for the mediocre food. For the price (upwards to $98 for kobe steak), I would expect to be served with a beautiful presentation, BUT this restaurant serves their meals family style... think mash potatoes and green beans being passed around the table during thanksgiving. The table shares the salad, main course and dessert.

The major warning is the W Hotel's valet parking. BE CAREFUL when handing your keys to the valet. Our valet, while driving our car, was involved in a wreck. The valet would not tell us that the car was involved in an accident. We had to ask where our car was and that was when they finally told us what happended. The "manager" and his valet walked away from our car and would not help or take responsibility, although we entrusted our vehicle to them. Eventhough the valet was DRIVING our car, they acted as if we were behind the wheel and left it to us to exchange info with other driver, call the tow truck, etc.

The W Hotel will not take responsibility, blaming the restaurant. The restaurant will not take responsiblity, blaming the valet. The valent will not take responsiblity, blaming the other driver.

If you go to the W Hotel, hope that nothing happens to you, because they will just turn their back and ignore it. Better yet, avoid the W and the over-priced family style restaurant with high prices.

• Disliked — Restaurant and valet parking
  • Stayed August 2007
Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

This hotel is a total scene. That being said, it was surprisingly down-to-earth as far as the staff. One of the best check-in/check-out that I have ever experienced. W Hotels are not really known for the staff being "nice" - they are more like model/actors waiting for their big break.

Lobby/bar areas are beautiful and spare.

The hallways are super creepy, dim, and the mirror at the end of the hallway gave me a bit of a start until I realized it was my reflection (haha).

Room was wonderful and very spacious. The bed, the rain showerhead, flat-screen plasma tv could not be beat. The view from my room was on construction, but not a big deal.

The valet was HORRIBLE. They were friendly, nice, and helpful, BUT I waited over a half hour for my car at a "slow" time (930pm), and at check out, I called ahead and still waited 20 minutes and that was late as well (1230pm).

• Liked — Bed & room
  • Disliked — Valet
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

I stayed this past weekend for my bachelor party and our hotel experience for the most part was excellent.

We booked a Cool Corner Suite and was not let down. It was a little smaller than I anticipated, but it worked out for everyone. The door staff was awesome and really helpful. Upon unloading our vehicle they had noticed that we had bought some "adult beverages" and told us that we had to conceal it, or they wouldn't let us in with it. They were cool in that they helped us conceal it and make sure that we got it up to the room. They also helped us make reservations for typical bachelor party establishments and allowed us access to the hotel SUV rather than calling for a cab.

Later on we came back and went to the Ghostbar. We were told 2 people per room could get in without paying (I assumed free). When I got the bill the next morning I saw there was a $30 Ghostbar charge, and come to find out we were charged $15 per person, instead of the normal $20 cover charge. I was pretty disappointed by this as I was led to believe by the check-in staff that it was free.

The Ghostbar is awesome with tons of beautiful people. The service is good and the people never really seemed "snotty" or stuck-up. We will definitely go back to the Ghostbar the next time we are in town, likely to be OU/TX weekend.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Arlington, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

I've read the previous reviews. A lot of negative reviews are true, but the negatives shouldn't ruin your stay. The biggest plus is that the staff is wonderful. The lobby has a sleek, modern appearance with some lovely flower and fruit arrangements. The check in process was done quickly.

We were in room 705, which is on the east side of the hotel. The room was their "Wonderful Room" guest room level. The rooms on the east side face Downtown Dallas, which gives you a wonderful view of downtown. The west side of the building has a view of the expressway. I don't think that I would have been happy with that view. Also, Mandarin Oriental is building their hotel on the west side of the W Hotel, so the west view will soon be blocked.

The room layout is weird as stated in previous reviews. I like the open bathroom format. When you enter the room, you are in the bathroom. The toilet is situated in its own little room with a door. The shower has a glass wall. The vanity has a mirror to separate it from the rest of the room. Yes, the open format can be awkward for some people. It is true that there isn't room on the vanity for any of your stuff. A curtain can be drawn across the back of the open bathroom to close it off from the room.

I didn't see the age of furniture in the room as some previous reviewers stated, but I did see problems with the comforter on the bed. The comforter was sagged, plus I did find some makeup on the comforter, which creep me out. The cleanliness of the room wasn't perfect. Don't get me wrong. The room was cleaned, but for a W Hotel, I'd expected the room to be spotless. Also the shower handle came off in our hands. We place the handle back on the faucet and still could control the shower water. It was a very minor inconvenience, but this problem along with the makeup on the comforter was an indication of lack of overseeing the rooms condition.

After writing all of the above, I still like the room. The bed was comfortable, but not as comfortable as the Westin's Heavenly Bed. The love seat in the alcove area by the window was cute and appropriate style for the room. There was a small desk with a flat screen TV on it and 1 chair for the desk. I could understand the bad reviews of the room for a work trip, not a lot of room on the desk to work on. Also the room had a small refrigerator in it, but it was full with the mini bar items. The room was definitely style over substance. I was there for the style, and I enjoyed it for the style.

The pool was being worked on the day that I arrived. I was only there for 1 night. The pool reopened the next morning. When I arrived at the pool level, which is on the 15th floor, another guest was already waiting for the pool to open. We attempted to reach the staff by their intercom system by the pool door. The intercom worked, but it was hard to understand what the staff was saying to us. Luckily, the cleaning staff was walking by and called for help. Yes, all of the staff wears and uses the Secret Service ear device. A staff member was there in minutes to open and set up the pool area for us. Again the staff was helpful and wonderful in the service area.

Also, Bliss Spa was on the same level as the pool. When the elevator doors open, a heavenly scent from the spa envelopes you. The walls are painted with clouds on this level, a bright and cheerful scene.

The pool is breathtaking beautiful. The whole pool lounge is gorgeous with gorgeous views. The reviews stating that the pool is on the wrong side of the hotel are right. Standing in the pool and looking on out on the infinity edge is the expressway, and the view will soon be blocked by another building. Right now, the direct view is a crane. The views from the pool lounge area are Downtown Dallas. Again the design is sleek and modern.

To go to the gym, you have to walk up one level of stairs from the pool level. The gym was ok. Nothing special. I believe that you have to walk up to the gym from the pool level, because from the 17th floor and up are residences. The hotel elevator only goes up to 15th floor, which is pool level.

The Living Room Bar was busy in the late afternoon and early evening. This is where you will find the pretentious crowd mentioned in past reviews. I don't think that most of the people in the bar were guests. I had found that the guest were friendly and normal. The style in the Living Room Bar is more formal than modern, yet still sleek. Again the floral arrangement were beautiful. The couches could be awkward because they didn't have backs to them. A few people were lying down with their feet up. I went outside to the patio area, which was a little bit more comfortable to me. This is where you will find the wear and tear on the furniture that previous reviewers had mentioned. The end tables were tree stumps looking things. These tree stumps were split and the finished was wearing off. These tree stumps were also in the pool areas with the same wear problems. These end tables gave an old and worn down appearance that the reviewers were talking about. Again the staff was attentive and helpful in the bar. The service was exactly what you expected from a better hotel.

I didn't go to the Ghost Bar. I did walk around the neighborhood. The neighborhood is still being built up, so you see a lot of construction. We ate at Luna de Noche, which is an upscale Mexican restaurant. Also House of Blues is walking distance from the hotel as is the American Airlines Arena. In the Victory Plaza area, which is the American Airlines Arena bracketed by 2 other office buildings, including WFAA (Channel 8) studio, you can stand outside of the studio and wave to the camera as I did. In the Plaza area, 2 other restaurants and a coffeshop were there. Also, the areas has some other stores, shops, and condos.

The check out process was easy. I looked over the bill slipped under my door during the night, so I just left the key in the room.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at W Dallas. It is certainly style over substance, but I wanted style. If you are a work trip, I could see that you might have problems with the hotel. If you are on a leisure trip, I could see that you will enjoy the style of the hotel. Did I mention that the staff was wonderful?

• Liked — the style
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

I loved staying in the W it was beautiful very close to downtown and very modern. I guess I understand why older people dont like it as much as younger people do, but i recommend it to everyone!

• Liked — everything was very easy and the room was so modern, but comfortable at the same time
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

We stay at all Starwood properties when we travel and have stayed in most of the W Hotels across the country. Although the hotel lobby is beautifully decorated and the service is above standard, the Dallas crowd at this hotel left us feeling like we had crashed a bachelorette party for a few hundred of Britney Spears best friends. This is definitely a hotel to 'be seen in' for Dallas-ites and the loud, techno music and scantilly clad guests weren't quite what we were looking for for our anniversary getaway. If you're in your early twenties and like to party, this is the hotel for you! If you're used to the smooth and sexy, more sophisticated W Hotels on the West Coast, you'll be very disappointed in this property.

PS. You might want to bring a flashlight to maneuver the hallways to your room!

• Liked — The service and the lobby decor.
  • Disliked — The loud music in the lobby and the 'club scene' throughout hotel at all hours of the day/night.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to W Dallas Victory Hotel? Share your experiences!