“Anywhere but here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 188 hotels in Dallas
Houston, TX
“Anywhere but here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

If you like Dark, Gay and Cheap at very high prices, you will love this place. However if you want a what a $400 room should get you, go somewhere else. This place is a ripoff. At $89 a night I would have rather stayed in a Motel 6.

The $400 room was not large, the walls were dark gray almost black with dark carpeting. To get any light you have to open the curtains on the smaller than normal window all the way. The shower is separated from the bedroom by a curtain, yes a curtain -- no wall or door. The hallways are so dark it feels like you are in a cave. I kept waiting for someone to jump out and mug me.

• Liked — The drive out the parking lot
  • Disliked — the dark oppressive decor
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

577 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Hoboken, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

When in Dallas (for business) I always stay at the Grand Hyatt at the Airport (one of my favorite hotels to date - don't laugh - it is a first rate hotel and perfect for business travelers). However, I thought I would try this place since it is fairly new. What a waste of time and money. Wish I would have read the not so great reviews prior to my stay - they were all spot on!

First, location is totally awkward. Second, the place is run by a completely amateur staff. Young kids have been clearly hired for their alleged "hipness" but the simple things - directions, printing boarding pass, check-in - seemed a bit beyond this crew's capabilities. Conceriege seemed totally perplexed that we were asking for help. As one previous reviewer said, this place is trying way too hard to be hip and cool and in doing so, it is actually just quite humorous to see all these people taking themselves so seriously as they pretend to know how to work in a hotel.

Ghost Bar is OK but no real views to speak of. Room layout, as one previous reviewer indicated, is completely odd. Good luck finding electrical outlets for a hair dryer - none in the "bathroom" area. Hint - look behind the LG flat screen TV. Also, for such a new hotel, I was shocked at how run down it appears to be already. Furniture looks like they picked it up at a Wal-Mart clearance sale. Its all nicked and cheaply made and doesn't at all fit with decor. Rugs in halls and rooms are already worn.

Take a pass on this place. Check out the Grand Hyatt at the airport instead - you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas-Ft Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

I would say that the W Hotel “Exceeded Expectations”. A little snobby yet professional, welcoming, and so close to American Airlines Center that makes it the place to stay if you want to stay in town for a Stars or Mavs game. Everyone tried hard to please. Compared to the W’s in Chicago and NYC I have frequented, the Dallas W has a ways to go to get its own personality. Our room was a corner WOW suite with a balcony w/ sofa. Very nice.
No dramas getting into the Ghostbar although we could not figure out what the “big” deal was once there as there are plenty of places to see and be seen in Dallas and drink overpriced cocktails.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

My only other experience with the W is in Atlanta at Perimeter Center and while the service is nice, the rooms are only mediocre. The W Dallas Victory was one of the best hotel experiences ever! This has surpassed the Ritz Carlton as far as room features, service, and price. Everyone I interacted with was nice and personable. I truly appreciated everything that was done for me (dry cleaning, room service, luggage handling) and I can't wait to go back.

Thank you to everyone there! You are the best and your service is unmatched!

• Liked — Whenever/Whenever service, friendly and courtesy staff, and services made for you.
  • Disliked — Construction by front entrance.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

my boyfriend and i thought we picked out maybe one of the best hotels in dallas to stay for his 21st birthday for one night but sadly we were wrong.. first off the hotel has pretty nice things inside i have to say but the service was horrible...it strarted off they told us about the ghost bar and their swimming pool and we were pretty excited.. when we first got there the valet was stand right outside of the front door and seemed really nice at first i gave them a $20 tip and.. "usually always did" i went inside to check in which it was not crowed but took a long time to check in finally they kept talking about the ghost bar and saying how we have to go. we finally got into our room which was nice and had a pretty view, we stayed in a wonderful room. we got all dressed to check out the pool because we saw all these cool pictures of it online we finally went up to the top floor to check it out and they never informed us the pool was having some type of construction going on the and pool had no water in it... we went down stairs to ask what was going on the the front desk said they had no idea about the pool being like this and they would give us a late check out till 2:00 the next day so we could swim before we left and we finally were okay with that so we went back up to the room and saw some snacks in the room we called the front desk to ask how much the snack were or if they had something in the room that said it well they told us since it was his bday the snacks and all the beverages in the room would be free so we ended up of course eating some a getting a few drinks then we down to the ghost bar and dressed up pretty nice... but my bf ended up bring some flip flops which i dont know but they were okay looking ones and his outfit still looked pretty nice when we got down there his name was on this list for his bday to have a couple of free drinks they ended up not even letting us in the bar bc of the shoes... which there was barely anyone in there and they were not really bad.. they told us it was a casual dress code but to at least wear a dress shirt which he did and i dressed up.so we never got to do that bc of the flip flops then the food and drinks turned out not to be free so they lied and never opened the pool the next day either and made us leave by 12 the valet men i noticed alot went through my car bc my glove box was open and i noticed alot of my stuff on my car was out all in the front seat... i guess the tip wasnt good enough! They also seemed to have run up my bfs credit card $300 extra dollars right before we left saying we ended up no getting the special deal they had going on for memorial day which they said would go on a few days after that day guess it didnt...

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

The hotel was very cool and modern, however the set up of the room was weird. You have to go through the bathroom to get to the door and they're is no door for the bathroom. This can be a problem. If someone is in the shower and room service comes they have go through the bathroom to get to the bedroom. This is very weird. The staff was great. They forgot to do somthing I requested and they went above
and beyond to fix the problem,

• Liked — The modern design
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

I stayed in the WOW suite ($599.00 per night) and it was amazing. The view was the best part. The 158 sq. foot baclony overlooks the American Airlines Center. The rooms are nice, but definitely could be nicer given the price.

The Good: The Hotel is very hip and trendy. Friendly staff. I was escorted to my room. Great pool even though it should face the opposite direction towards Dallas. The bed was very comfortable and the showers were nice.

The Bad: The price...WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. It's not worth it. I'd pay $400 maybe for what I had. You have to be very very careful about what your final charge will be. They nickle and dime you to no end! Everything is overpriced. My room was $599 and my final bill was over $800!!!! I got a room, a beer, and some jelly beans and next thing I know I get an $800 charge. Absolutely insane. I will not stay there again to be honest.

Helpful tips: Don't tip the valet until after you check out ($24 overnight). Bring your own alcohol. Hide it in your luggage. Don't eat anything at the hotel or in the room!!! Don't touch anything that has a seal on it or you'll get charged. Be prepaired to pay much much more in taxes for the room. There's a list a mile long of different taxes. USE A CREDIT CARD! NOT A DEBIT CARD! If you use a debit card to pay, they will pre-authorize your account with a very very large amount of money (my room $599, they authorized $840). They say it's to cover any incidental damage if needed. They won't tell you any of this when you check in.

Overall, the hotel was very nice and my guests has a great time. I won't be going back there until I'm a multi-millionaire without a care in the world about what I'm charged. If you don't know to ask something, they won't tell you so keep reading these reviews. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 6.

Bottom line: If you're filthy rich, this is the place for you.

• Liked — The view!
  • Disliked — The Value. They try and get every dollar out of you they can.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to W Dallas Victory Hotel? Share your experiences!