Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament
2021 N. Stemmons, Dallas, TX 75207 (Northwest Dallas-love Field)
1-866-543-9637
Glenpool, Oklahoma
6 attraction reviews
“Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

The food and service were better than expected, but get there early and plan to spend $ on drinks and souvenirs! Ages 3 to 41, we had a BLAST! Take advantage of the promotions & you can get in for a reasonable price. If you don't plan to interact and really get into it, you won't have nearly as much fun!

ladyofleon
“Great place, yet most that complain do not get it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

Okay I have read all of the reviews and some of them make me wonder how much attention is paid to the show. The comments about the horses are just interesting.

When you arrive, it says arrive 1hr and 30min before the show so everybody can arrive on time. It is just a suggestion nobody has to do it. Just remember on a Saturday night the lines will get really long. The cost is on the webpage and you save money by ordering online. Also there is a coupon on the tickets and crowns to use later. The upgrades are great if you have a young girl, it gives her a better chance of getting somehting from a knight, only one girl per section gets it. Other than that, all the seats are great. I prefer mid way up the section.

The pictures are optional. If you do not want one kindly ask to pass through. The gift shop can get crowded. Most wenches and serfs will get to you in the order they see you, but the best way to get served is to get in line going towards a register. The area will be more crowded on a second and third show since the previous show will be shopping too.

The call to table is usually 15mins before the show. If you are in Jersey then in may be show time before you are called in.
The Chancellor is good about his directions, and the process makes its quicker to get to your seats.

When everyone on the row sits down, the server collects the table cards. The he/she introduces themselves and the knight you will cheer for. As soon as they are done with their tables they rush to bring back the soup, bread, and drink. The soup is not just canned soup. The bread is prepared fresh for each show. And as for the Pepsi, well Pepsi is the beverage sponsor since the American show began in Florida. Sprite is available at the bar though. Drinks are not all $12 from the bar. Drinks for the kids can be as cheap as $5, it all depends on the glass you want. And the bar is available at all times and the bartenders do walk the arena.

The show should begin around the time you get your drink. If your server had an unexpected guest arrive late, then you may be delayed until the openning scene is over. The guests are allowed to watch this scene so they can get the plot of the show.

After the light show, the Chancellor introduces the princess and the knights. The king arrives followed by the squires, serfs, and wenches. Make sure to find your server! Once the scene between the knights and the king end, the king goes to the throne. There he welcomes back the princess and then the feast begins. The first thing served is a roasted chicken. Yes it is roasted. There are no pots to boil chicken in. I just have to laugh at that comments. Then there are ribs and potatos. All of the food is really good, it just depends on the castle as to how good.

While the chicken is being served the horses show off their skill.

There are only about 6 horses used for the first scene with the trot in place, rearing..ect. These horses are highly trainned and beautiful to watch in action. Stallions naturaly do the moves to attract mares. As for the foaming at the mouth, horses foam when they are excited, not tired. The horses do not work as much as it seems. The bits are not tight, they suffer no abuse. These horses get better treatment than the people working there. You should see the ranch in Sanger that they retire to. I live less than a mile from it. They are so beautiful on the ranch. And thoroughbreds do get half the luxury of green pastures to end their days.

Then there is the falconer. The falcon is well trainned and usually flies for a while. Right now she is molting so her flight time is cut down for her comfort.

The King's Parade follows. 6 horses in all. The men work on this part for many hours to get it right. The horses, again, may foam out of excitment. If you watch the DVD you know that the riders learn to use a loose rein as not to hurt the horse.

There is a flash back scene that follows this. I find it a bit dull, but they need the part to allow the riders to get ready for the games.

The games are usually more fun if you are cheering for you knight. The knights toss flowers to the girls during all games except the last one. There they give a banner to a special girl.

There are announcements that follow. To celebrate special occasions, people can get knighted before the show.

The ambassador of horse is next. The music is out of text but the horse is wonderful. The movements are really hard dressage moves.

The fights begin. I will stop there, because if I gave the order then it would ruin the show.

After the last show of the evening the knights come out to great the guest, and the dance floor is open.

So again, it is a great place to go if you watch the show. The horses are well kept, since they are so valuable and loved by the company. The employes are friendly, not matter what is going on. If an employee is rude to you, tell the manager that greats you at your table. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do and if you do not, remember the comment cards.

P.S. A note on the dinner ware. Only witches and warlocks used utensils during the medieval period, is what they say. If you want utensils bring your own. You may be picked on, but you will not be hurt or kicked out. Everyone is allowed to enjoy their meal in there own way.

Margaritaville
“An enjoyable experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

My son's middle school band attended a nearby band competition, and we had reservations for this dinner/show to end the evening.
I, myself had attended a similar venue/show in Las Vegas approx. 14 yrs. ago, so I knew the kids would most likely have a good time here.
We arrived at approx. 6:10 pm, for the 7:00 pm. show. No problems were encountered getting our table assignments and our "crowns". While waiting for the doors to be opened, the kids (and adult chaperones) filled the wait time browsing through the lobby area.
Someone in a previous review mentioned the large crowd, and their displeasure at having to be directed to various entrances once the doors were opened to the arena. But in the next sentence, they stated that seating was quite quick and trouble free. Just wanted to point out that if the venue did not appropriate seperate entrances into the arena, that poster's ability to find their table/seats would have taken much,much longer. Our entire group of approximately 75 students and chaperones were seated at our correct table/rows within a matter of 2-3 minutes from the doors being opened. Our group was not given any sort of preferential treatment/seating and entered with many other patrons.
Our waiter was lively and quite the entertainer, and also encouraged (actually led) all of us in the "cheers".
First, we were served our drinks, which were a bit "lacking" in the choices (tea,Pepsi, or water), but considering the "layout" of the tables and how the food is served, that was understandable.
We were served our soup first . I found it to be quite tasty, even if it may very well have been from a can. Next came our garlic bread, which was quite fresh. (Wish I could have had an addt'l piece) A chicken leg (a rather good size one, at that...not sure if it was 1/2 chicken or what), a three piece BBQ'd rib, a seasoned potato wedge (1/2 a potato) followed.
There was a chaperone in our party that requested the vegetarian "fare", and his "plate" did not arrive until the server came around with the BBQ'd rib, so that was a bit of a dissapointment.
Warm, moist napkins were then delivered, which was a good deal, as the chicken left my fingers/hands quite greasy.
I,personally have no problems eating "finger" foods. I presume that the "senior citizens", (referenced in a previous post), were accompanied by at least one chaperone, as part of their "tour group", and most likely that chaperone had informed the group exactly how the dinner would be served. A tiny bit of research before making the reservations would let it be known that your meal would be delivered sans eating utensils.
I do know that silverware is available, as a few members of our party were given such, upon request, and the one vegetarian plate was delivered with silverware, as well.
The dessert pastry was delivered after the main course plates and bowls were picked up. It consisted of a fried apple pastry/pie, perhaps 4"x2". Not anything to get excited about, but it served it's purpose. Coffee was also offered at this time.
The show....yes, I guess some might consider it cheesy. It really does seem to be geared for the maybe 14-15 and younger crowd, and yes, there is period type fighting and jousting. Remember, this is just a show, with play acting, so to the poster who was relatively "shocked" over the implied violence, perhaps an instruction to the children should have been given, much like I give my children from time to time when they see a movie or cartoon, and wonder how things happen like that on the screen. Come on, it's make-believe, and the point of the show is not the act of the "jousting/fighting", but the "art" of it. The moves of the knights were interesting and entertaining to watch. The horses were beautiful, magnificent!
16 yr old girls would probably like the show/knights, but I've gotta admit that I'm a 45 yr. old married mom of 4 kids, and I thought the knights were rather "hot" myself <g>.
We are vacationing in the Orlando area next month, and I have already made reservations to take the rest of my family (husband, 3 boys (ages 7,9, and 13) to see it while we are there.

texas
“We loved it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

we were kinda leary of this since we were on a budget and heard so may bad reviews. I know it seems kind of expensive but we used some coupons and it wasn't to bad. The food was actually pretty good, the show was great and the atmosphere was wonderful. My kids are 17 and 15 and they really enjoyed it. This is not a show for someone who is not young at heart. We really got into it and it was great. put it on your Dallas to do list.

Dallas, Texas
7 attraction reviews
“They shoot horses, don't they?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

First off, let me say that I am not one of those problem people who gripe about everything--you know, the kind of person who writes reviews that are so negative you can just ignore them. I've learned from doing a lot of research on TripAdvisor, and other sites where people can weigh in with their opinions, that to get a good overview, you have to discard the really bad reviews from complainers who mete out one or zero stars (unless, of course, MOST of the reviews are bad).

Also let me say that I am pretty much easy to please although I don't appreciate bad food, poor service, bad value, or major inconvenience.

Anyway, about Medieval Times. DON'T DO IT. But if you MUST endure this, at least I can tell you what to expect. But you could just stop here and take my word for it and DO SOMETHING ELSE!

When we were there, there were a LOT of lines to go through before you could get inside the arena, where the show takes place. Have your (EXPENSIVE) tickets ahead of time if possible (buy and print them online) to save a few minutes, and get there at least 30 minutes before your scheduled show time. Be sure you're in the right line, as there are two lines, which the costume-clad employees didn't seem to know the difference between (one is to buy or pick up tickets, one is for priority seating). Then you stand in line to get your color-coded paper-hat crowns, which tell you what section to sit in and what color knight to cheer for. Then, you are herded into a large, hot, loud, crowded room where you wait on your feet for the arena doors to open. Maybe it's not always so crowded, but during our visit, it was a total MADHOUSE, stifling and unpleasant. Before they open the arena doors, a costumed guy on a balcony gives you all kinds of instructions in a faux-medieval voice ("don't bangeth thy plates on the table," etc.). Then they announce that all the green people need to go through the far left door, all the red people need to go through the center door, and so on--causing a mad rush of people bumping and jumping to get nearer the correct doors. WHY they didn't have roped lines to begin with was beyond me. Besides, ALL the doors go into the same place, so it kind of didn't matter. All it did was make crowds panic, as if it was worth panicking about.

I was surprised how many people this place held. I'd say at least 1,000, and all seats seemed to be full. Lots of large groups, like high-school bands and so on. Also one large group of senior citizens, who by the end of the ordeal I felt really sorry for. The seating didn't take too long, due to the color-coding. We sat in the green section near one end, in the front row, which was priority seating. However, there are only 4 or 5 rows, and the area inside the arena where the action takes place is not huge, so any of the rows would be fine I think (any maybe cheaper, but I don't know). You sit along a bar-like table with enough room in front of it for the waitstaff. In your chair is a program and DVD, and on the table are a couple of plates, a bowl and a mug, along with one napkin and one wet-nap. Guard the napkin and wet-nap with your life, as you will be eating without utensils, as if they didn't have utensils 1,000 years ago. Which brings up a point. EVERYTHING involving the food and the serving of food is designed to be as simple on the management as possible, under the guise of being "medieval." Somehow, the giant plastic bins of food they bring by ruin the effect. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

There are two separate aspects of the entertainment that I have to comment about. One is the horses and knights; the other is the supporting cast (a king, a princess, etc). The horses are fun to watch, and the jousting and trick-riding by the "knights" is mildly impressive. The whole thing is very colorful. The entertainment by the supporting cast, though, is about on the level of a junior-high-school play. I mean, it's CHEESEBALL (stretch the e's in "cheese" for a few seconds). It's embarrassingly bad at times. There are a whole host of people in the supporting cast, all of whom wear period costume but have modern hairstyles, which completely ruins the effect. The knights, though, all have long hair and seem to have made an effort to look "real." Everyone else looks like they're ready to get back to washing dishes so they can get home and play Nintendo--they've just thrown on some costumes to provide some "pageantry." It's pretty lame.

Before any real action begins, and to kill some time I think, there is a fair amount of showing off of horses, which involves knights riding them around in circles and occasionally making the horses stand up on their hind legs or "bow" on the front legs. This goes on for each knight and each horse. I think there were about 10 horses, and they all did the same stuff and it started to be a bit of a snoozer. But you're kept awake by the unbelievable VOLUME inside the arena--from the LOUD, LOUD canned music to the SCREAMING people in the audience, cheering on their pre-selected knight. It was as loud as a rock concert in there--that kind of loud where the sound becomes a hard din in your ears, and you can scream as loud as you can and still not hear yourself. If I had known it would be so loud, I would have brought ear plugs.

There's some sort of story they set up, a contest among knights, all of which doesn't matter at all and which you can't hear anyway. Finally they start doing some contest-y stuff, like throwing spears toward a target while riding horses, or trying to pick up metal rings with jousting poles, and so on. Oh yeah, they bring down a big black net that surrounds the arena between you and the action, so from now on, you're watching through the net and any photos you take are going to be bad, either from the net being in the way or from the auto-focus on your camera getting confused. Every little thing that happens brings on loud cheers or loud boos (you're supposed to boo the other knights) from the crowds, a din that never dies down. Interspersed with the action is more cite-by-rote bad acting by the supporting cast. Finally there is some jousting and battling on foot with swords, axes and other medieval-looking implements, some of which is pretty cool but most of which looks SO rehearsed that it's embarrassing. The choreography involved in order for the knights to not actually harm each other is awkward and obvious, and at time looks like cheap fake-wrestling moves, such as when a punch to the head a foot away causes the punchee to do a somersault a couple of seconds later, or when a knight who's getting ready to "stab" another one waits for the stabbee to get into position first. There are moments where sparks are flying as metal hits metal, which is kind of neat, accomplished with great effort since the point is of course to MAKE sparks fly, not make the fighting look realistic otherwise.

The horses themselves are nice to watch, but a couple of them looked pretty tired, and one of them was literally foaming at the mouth, which was hard to look at. I don't know if that's normal, but it was kind of disgusting, watching thick spit and foam flying out of the horse's mouth. But people kept screaming and cheering anyway, as if nothing was amiss, as if everything was fantastic.

Which segues me back to the food. I can't believe they get away with the "feast" they provide. It's some of the worst food I've ever, ever had, anywhere. And at the price, it's even more unacceptable. In keeping with the junior-high-school-production aspect of the proceedings, the food was bottom-of-the-barrel, school-cafeteria level quality. Actually it's far worse, but I can't think of anything else, except maybe hospital food or prison food. No, it's worse than that. First, they give you "vegetable soup," which was nothing but a watery beef-colored broth with maybe 3 tiny pieces of vegetables in it, with that telltale sodium-enriched Campbell's taste. Awful. Then a 4 x 4-inch clod of "garlic bread," which crumbled when I tried to tear it in half. Then they bring by the big industrial-looking bin of half-chickens, one of which they plop down on each "feaster's" plate. This chicken was boiled and....well, it was boiled. Roasted? I doubt. It was plain, boiled chicken with no flavor at all, no herbs or spices of any kind. It was hot as hell, which made it very hard to eat with your fingers. Then they bring you a spare rib, which was a 3-inch-long, fatty piece of rib covered with store-brand barbeque sauce. Then, they give you an "herb-baked potato," which looked like the "garlic bread" they brought earlier and had the consistency and taste of the heel of an old shoe. Finally, they bring you a "pastry" which is identical to a McDonald's apple pie, exactly the same, and probably with the same trans fats. All in all, especially considering it's VERY messy and that they only give you one napkin (trying to get another was a lost effort), it's THE most miserable dining experience I've EVER had, and I can't believe people accept it. At one point, the "king" said, "Is everyone enjoying their FEAST?!" and of course the crowd went WILD with hurrahs. I got a kick out of being able to scream "this feast SUCKS!" at the top of my lungs, without fear of being heard. But mainly I wondered why everyone seemed so HAPPY about everything! I wondered how the seniors felt, having to eat bad food without utensils. Whatever hearing they had left was lost too, I'm sure.

Anyway, my daughter and her friends still enjoyed it, which I think is only because they are 16 years old and the "knights" are twenty-ish "hunks" who kiss flowers and then throw them at the girls in the audience. Plus when you're 16 you aren't paying, and you haven't been around the block enough to know just how BAD the food and most of the entertainment is. I think the only people who can truly enjoy Medieval Times are kids.

I will say, it definitely was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me. I can very safely say that!