“Last location was better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sushi Zushi

Sushi Zushi
3636 McKinney Ave., Suite 150, Dallas, TX 75204 (Oak Lawn)
+1 214-522-7253
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Zushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #459 of 3,105 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
Cross street: City Place West
San Angelo, Texas
“Last location was better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had lunch there.the new location is not as good as the past.difficult to park even to the nearby parking.the decor and atmosphere was not so good.the sushi was very good.

Visited August 2013

Dallas, Texas
“Poor Service – One Time Occurrence or New Trend?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Let me start by saying three things..

First, I go to Sushi Zushi “regularly”. As in, I keep their menu in the glove box of my car. And, I have always had a great experience during all my other visits. So, when I was asked to pick the sushi restaurant for a celebratory dinner, Sushi Zushi was my natural “go to” spot. This particular location just moved from Oak Lawn to McKinney Avenue, and this was my first visit to the new location (which used to be the sushi restaurant called “Fish”, by the way).

Second, the food here is really, really good. It is NOT the cheapest sushi place in town, but, then again, I’m not sure that I want the cheapest sushi in town! The menu is big – REALLY big – they have an entire section dedicate to “Eel Rolls”, for instance, and the sushi is creative and well-executed.

Third, it takes a lot to get me stirred up enough to write a review about poor service. But, this evening, my party endured “a lot” – especially compared to my expectations based on previous visits.

In the past the service has always been incredibly attentive without being intrusive. Water glasses “seem” to be miraculously refilled almost by magic, and dirty dishes are whisked away while the food seems to just “arrive”. Assistance with the menu have always been offered in a way that was helpful, but easy to decline, such as, “Have you all been here before, or would you like to hear about some of the highlights?”. It is hard to recognize just how much all of this contributes to the “dining experience” until it all goes wrong!

Tonight, however, was about the complete opposite of that. It is also worth point out that it was a Sunday evening, and the place was “quiet” – not “dead”, but certainly there was no reason for any of the wait staff to be stressed out.

For starters, I asked for paper to write down our order. We had four different people contributing to our order, tow of whom are not native English speakers, and it just makes things a lot easier. I was given a pen, and told that the server would be “right back” with something to write on. Yeah, ten minutes later (did I mention the place was not crowded?) the guy comes back – almost as if he had never visited our table before and asked if he could “get us anything to start with”. As jokingly as I could, I said, “yeah, that piece of paper”…. “Oh, yeah”, he says, and brings some paper.

Well, maybe that offended him, because it then took him another fifteen minutes to come back to the table. During that time, we were looking all around to find him because we were ready to order. Finally we told another one of the staff we were ready to order and they sent him over. That kind of sets the stage…

I’ll spare my kind readers the displeasure of re-living the rest of the “experience”, but the low-lights include… When we ordered he would suddenly announce, “That’s my favorite”. Yeah, ok, but at this point none of us are inviting you to dinner, and we’re all wishing that you were not even part of OUR dining experience, so we really don’t care to know that you “approve”. There was even eye-rolling when we ordered desserts until we arrived at “his favorite”….

Water glasses went unfilled for long periods of time, at which point our conversation was interrupted to hand the glasses to the server. We were never even offered refills on our drinks, and the dirty dishes were not cleared between courses. The server was very difficult to find, and at one point out and out ignored us when we were trying to flag him down. One person in our party even stood up and walked over to another member of the staff – AGAIN – to have the server come by our table. Several times, he COULD be seen standing around talking with other staff members.

And, then, the double-whammy piece-de-resistance…. The only thing that he was quick about al night was dropping the check almost immediately after dessert, and practically standing there while we fished out our card to pay. Similarly, he whisked it away immediately after signing, and then proceeded to go off to the side and complain to another staff member (on the edge of the dining room) that the tip was not to HIS expectation. Let me tell you, the SERVICE was not to MY expectation, either. Frankly, I was embarrassed, and apologized repeatedly to my associates for the poor service.

I really hope that this was an isolated, fluke incident. But, given the price point of Sushi Zushi, I have come to expect good to very good service, and this evening’s service was poor to very poor. If I return, it will be a while, and I will be very hesitant to bring more than one other person until they have restored my faith.

I hope that your future experiences match my past positive experiences. It would be a real shame to cross this place off my “sushi-list” forever.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bentonville, Arkansas
“Worth a Try”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

First time, Table for 4.

ATMOSPHERE: Modern, upscale, tall ceilings, fung shui ambiance, big windows and standard bar set up.

SERVICE: Helpful most of the time. We had a trainee and a few people helping him out so it was a bit overwhelming at times. My napkin was laid in my lap for me. Good suggestions were made and the staff was talkative and really tried to meet our needs.

FOOD: Tasty and fresh. The few suggestions made were a hit and miss. We had the "Tower" Appetizer and that was really delicious. The portion size of it was bigger than I had expected. I would be happy just eating two of those. We had few rolls of unmemorable combinations. The only memorable one was the "Strawberry Roll." I appreciate the ambition of trying something different and new, but everyone at the table agreed that it reminded us of Captain Crunchberry cereal - not sushi. Everything else was alright.

OVERALL: Nice place to dine once in a while. I've got to say though...they have really cool bathrooms. There is even a running water nature sound to help you go.

RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE GUESTS: Don't do the Strawberry roll. But do try the "Tower" found in the appetizer section.

RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE OWNERS: One person at a time at the tables please. Thanks!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“amazeballs sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

not to be missed. If only they'd reduce their menu a bit or at least have a "selection of the day/recommendations list" as it can be extremely overwhelming to choose.

Other than that, it's great. Good value for money, great service, excellent food, nice location (ok, Southlake isn't in the middle of Dallas but the shopping centre is very decent so you can spend a nice afternoon there)

Visited July 2013
Grapevine, Texas
“"gluten free" claim is false!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We went here for a friends 40th birthday. I am Celiac and do not often eat out due to gluten. They assured me I would be fine. I should have known when our server was offering to "fry items with no flour" to avoid gluten. I took no recommendations from him and ordered off of their alleged GF menu. Big mistake! It was NOT GF and I was sick for a week.

• Visited March 2013