“Loud and Yummy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nobu

Nobu
400 Crescent Court, Dallas, TX 75201 (Oak Lawn)
+1 214-252-7000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nobu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #322 of 3,104 Restaurants in Dallas
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
Cross street: Maple Street
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loud and Yummy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Went here on a date and had a fabulous dinner. However, as I chose my ratings I realized the biggest reason for my great time was how much I enjoyed my company--the actual restaurant & service were not actually worthy of as many stars :)

FOOD was excellent, 5 stars there, was nothing I didnt love. Presentation was great too. Sea bass in the sweet sauce was my favorite. So delicious & perfectly cooked. My next favorite course was our Chocolate bento box dessert--and Im not a huge dessert fan usually. But it was delicious & unique w the sesame brittle. I also loved the sushi tuna jalapeno dish w cilantro sauce. Didnt think Id like it but it was my 3rd favorite. Also had tuna sashimi, a specialty sushi roll & another tuna dish that were great too.

MARTINIS. Oh and I had the lychee elderflower martini which was amazing & I recommend if you know you like those flavors. Im a lightweight or Id have had more than 2.

NOISY which is not the restaurant's fault. But I literally could no hear our conversation at times due to obnoxiously loud patrons. And since we were seated at one of the tables along one long booth there was no escaping them.

SERVICE was good overall as far as people coming by to bring our food & keep drinks filled. But timing of our courses not great, somewhat sporadic. We didnt mind bc we were having so much fun but I could see where that could bother some people. One time our server said our sea bass would take a long time so we ordered a sushi roll but guess what came first? The sea bass. Lol. Also the menu says the bento box dessert takes a certain amount of time to cook but ours was out immediately. A couple dishes were presented with the other dish just getting started on the table which is amateur serving-wise ( Yes, I used to wait tables lol). The waiter also made a culturally-inappropriate stereotype joke about Asians...despite the fact that my date is Asian. Seriously? Not cool, ever. I made light of it, yet pointed it out so hopefully he will not repeat that bad error of judgment :)
PRICE Id say is expensive ( I didnt actually see the check) but it's Nobu so should not be a surprise. Can you get dishes that taste as great at a lower price? Sure. But when you choose Nobu youre paying for the experience & beautiful unique dishes as well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

East Texas
“Excellent service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I loved it! The food was excellent and our waiter went out of his way to arrange for a special order item and helped a novice with the chopsticks. It was a great evening.

Visited January 2013
Lewisville, Texas
“Excellent food, decent service, small portions, expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I have eaten at Nobu's in several cities. This was our first experience in the Dallas one. It is a beautifully decorated, modern restaurant. Service was decent but the "introduction" by the waiter was a bit pretentious. They apparently have trouble coordinating the arrival of sushi bar dishes with hot food, as the waiter, at first couldn't promise that our individual appetizers would arrive before other dishes. When we requested that they do, they still didn't.

The food itself is excellent, but the portion sizes are small, so the items seemed overpriced. The Black Cod in Miso remains my favorite dish. The other entree items we got were great, but I left hungry, even though we ordered four items for the four adults at our table to share. The desserts were excellent.

It was a very good experience, all in all. I might come back just to enjoy the Black Cod.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“New Style Sashimi can't be beat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife and I have dined at Nobu many, many times, the most recent was NYE 2012

Nobu is a unique restaurant, you have to be adventurous to appreciate it. If you only like spicy tuna rolls and tuna and salmon sushi, then go to your local joint and save a ton of money.

However, if you are willing to try new things, you can have a mind-blowing dinner.

We highly recommend the following new-style dishes
Whitefish with miso flakes and dried garlic
Yellowtail with jalapeño
Tai with fuji apple
and of course, the dish Nobu made famous, Miso glazed black cod

Couple of tips:
1- Sit at the sushi bar, you'll be able to tell the chef what you like and don't like, and they'll customize things
2- expect slow waitstaff on drinks. I don't know why it's so hard for these guys to keep the cocktails coming, particularly at their prices, but I've found I have to tell the waiter at the beginning I'm planning on having several, and not to leave me hanging
3- get out of your comfort zone and ask the chef to make you something you've never tried

This place is loud, with a hipster crow

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, TX
“Great Bar 2”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Really great drinks! the bartenders are nice and the sushi is wonderful. Happened to be there the night before the Nuggets played the Mavericks. Met some of the players. They were nice and even agreed to a picture. I will be back!

Visited December 2012