“Awesome Museum! Do it! Request Survivor Speaker!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dallas Holocaust Museum

Dallas Holocaust Museum
211 N Record Street, Suite 100, Dallas, TX 75202 (Downtown Dallas)
214-741-7500
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A center offering exhibits, films and artifacts of the Holocaust.
Louisiana
“Awesome Museum! Do it! Request Survivor Speaker!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

I brought a group of 47 teenagers for a school field trip. I was more than impressed. The museum was incredible accomodating. The museum is small, but I believe they are adding on. You are given an audioguide and allowed to view the museum at your own convenience. Great photos and the story is told in a compelling way. Our favorite part was Mrs. Magie Furst--the Survivor Speaker. She is fiesty, but what a walking history book. Loved the Dallas Holocaust Museum.

Place
“A very moving and informative experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

This museum, as is true for most museums regarding the Holocaust, does not hold back on the melancholy aspects of this tragedy. It features many actual items from different concentration camps (a personal favorite being the clothing, "pajamas", worn in the camps, as portrayed in the book The Boy in The Striped Pajamas). The museum is not the most extravagant one of all, (especially if compared to the spectacular exhibits in The National Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C.) but is a prime destination for anyone visiting Dallas. However, this is no experience meant for those easily disturbed or for young children. Take caution in who you choose to bring with you on this trip.

Tyler, Texas
7 attraction reviews
“Great resource close to home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I have taken students to this museum for the last 4 years or so. It makes a huge impact on middle school students as they transfer what they have learned from reading literature and history books to the reality of personal experience. The museum gives them an opportunity to view the experience through a different lens. I have taken my nephew (just before he began sixth grade), but I have not taken my own children yet. I would suggest that families carefully consider if the experience is appropriate for your children at the time. Visitors have the option to take a self-paced audio tour through the museum with (literally) hundreds of stops. I recommend the audio tour, though it does take a bit of time.

The museum is small, but the layout is fantastic and utilizes the available space very well. One of the moments with greatest impact is the visual representation of the columns at the beginning of the tour. Another is the final memorial room at the end of the tour. I would highly suggest arranging for a speaker if you are taking a group. I've experienced three during the years of my visits. They have all been phenomenal and truly capture and retain the attention of the students. The staff is a pleasure. Be sure to check out their items for sale at the front desk. They offer some out of print books and other treasures that can be difficult to find.

c519084m
4 attraction reviews
“Dallas Museums”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I went to Texas for a wedding and decided to make a week of it. We spend a day in downtown Dallas to check out some of the museums.

We found an inexpensive parking lot within a comfortable walking distance to several museums and started with the Holocaust museum. It was much smaller than I expected, but then I've been to Auschwitz-Birkenau so maybe my expectations were too high. My husband found it very interesting. The most powerful part was the video interviews with some survivors, but I almost missed it because the doors were closed and I didn't notice it. If you go and don't find the theater, ask! Apparently they plan to move into a larger location so I hope to go again when they do.

Next stop was the 6th Floor Museum. That one was a LOT larger than I thought it would be. The audio tour was really great. There was so much more audio, video, photos and memorabilia of the JFK administration and assassination than I anticipated. My feet were pretty tired by the end of the day, but we WERE at museums ALL DAY so that was probably why.

When the museum closed, we walked across the street to Dealy Plaza. It was really pretty in April when we went. I wish we had brought a picnic lunch to enjoy while we were there.

I wish we could have went to the Old Red Museum but we didn't have time. Maybe on our next visit!

By the way, if you want to save some money on the museum entrance fees (and who doesn't) check out the Happenings or Entertainment book for great BOGO coupons.

Texas
34 attraction reviews
“Neat little museum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

I took my children and they seemed to enjoy this place, listening to the headphones. We loved being able to choose what to listen to with the recordings. The place was a bit small but very informative! I liked the film at the end as it had testimonies of people that survived that horrific event. As I recall they will be moving into a bigger building at some point and put more displays out.

Been to Dallas Holocaust Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Dallas Holocaust Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later