“Perfect ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The French Room

The French Room
1321 Commerce St, The Adolphus Hotel, Dallas, TX 75202 (Downtown Dallas)
(214) 742-8200
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The French Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3,104 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Dallas
Cross street: Akard
Transit: DART and DART Light Rail (Akard Street Station)
Description: Editors at Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Travel & Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler , and Fodor's have consistently included The French Room on their annual lists of superlative restaurants. The Zagat Survey of America's Top Restaurants ranks the dining room No. 1 for food, decor, and service, and it's only one of nine restaurants in the United States to have achieved a near-perfect food score. Texas Monthly and D Magazine list The French Room among the best restaurants in Dallas. It is now the only dining room in Texas to hold the AAA Five Diamond Award. Guided by Executive Chef Marcos Segovia, whose culinary talents have earned him acclaim around the world, The French Room is an execeptional dining experience by any standard.
“Perfect ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I came here using a Groupon. I was blown away with how elegant this restaurant was! The staff was incredibly kind and made us feel comfortable. What amazing food! Just wonderful! We would love to go back soon. The only compliant is that the portions are indeed on the small side :) . Please go and check this amazing gem in Dallas!

DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Your compliments are most appreciated.

Thank you for dining with us.

Cordially,

“Understated Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

It's almost irreverent to consider the cost of an evening at the French Room. Our experience here was an amazing fusion of excellence in quality, presentation and service. From the moment we arrived the evening was a well choreographed event. Our thanks to all at the French Room.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that The French Room impresses you.

Thank you!

Best,

Dallas, Texas
“Worth the Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Having lived in the NYC area for six years I become somewhat spoiled with the great restaurants in the City. The food was great and the service to match. After moving to Dallas, the high end and quiet dinner with amazing service and food can be harder to come by. Sure there are great steak places, but when looking for that amazing place to have your anniversary dinner you need to look deep. The French Room takes you back to the great days of a high class dinner with great service. Jackets are required, candlelight is a given, the wait staff is perfect, and the food is top notch. Even better is the three course meal is only $80 and you can find a solid bottle of wine for roughly $125 if you pay attention. You will not be disappointed with the experience.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Jeff,

The French Room staff appreciate your taking the time to share your compliments with fellow travelers.

Thank you for your high praise and recommendation.

All the best,

David
“ Good, but not quite up to the hype...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Let me start with the service. Its an understatement to say that the service in the French room is impressive. Our waitress was very nice and helpful and knew the menu. All of the other supporting staff were also excellent and the lady that sat us at our table actually remembered our names and said "good evening" when we left. It's those small attentions to detail that make the French room special.

The atmosphere is also exquisite. The room itself is gorgeous and looks to have been taken from another time in our history. The same with the Adolphus--absolutely stunning. Dining included candles and fresh flowers, again a very nice touch.

Now for the food...again, I will start by saying that the flavors were excellent throughout. Some of their purees were absolutely some of the best things I have put into my mouth. However, I did have some issues with the food across the board. The first course I chose was the scallops...flavor excellent, but there were only 5 small bay scallops--not the big diver ones I would have expected. I also found a hair/fiber in my dish which they gladly remedied with haste (excellent service). Not a big deal but not exactly something you would expect from a place like this...

Onto the entree--pan seared sea bass sprinkled in pumpkin seed dust. My fiance had hake which had a macadamia nut crust. She felt like there were too many nuts proportionatelly and i agreed with her. Again, excellent flavors all around but there was very little of it. The portion size was very small and the sides that came with it were nearly laughable...Two green beans, one piece of roasted cauliflower, and a beet puree. I know that small portions are par for the course in a restaurant like this but give me a break...dessert was excellent however and quite nearly filled us up on its own.

The wine--in exactly one word--OVERPRICED. Every bottle on the menu was triple what it should have been and I know wine. I tend to grit my teeth when the price is doubled but I about broke a tooth when I saw their prices. It's just needless and greedy for them to charge this. If I can go down to total wine down the street and buy the exact bottle I paid 75 dollars for at the French room for 25, there is something very wrong with this picture...

The verdict--although our experience was pleasant, I really didn't find it to be worth the money. All told, we spent 300 for one night of over priced wine, and excellently tasting food, albeit in smaller doses than I would have preferred. I feel I could get a very comparable level of service and more food for 150 elsewhere. Sorry french room, but I doubt we will ever be going back...

DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Luke,

Thank you for your compliments and kind words.

Your feedback has been shared with our culinary team.

Little Rock, AR
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Our expectations were extraordinarily high and The French Room delivered. I had friends/business partners from Little Rock, San Francisco, Miami and Austin meeting in Dallas and we decided to dine in the hotel. We all agreed the service, ambience and quality of the meal to be the highest quality. Highly recommend.

Visited December 2013
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is great pleasure to learn that you and your associates had a superior experience in The French Room recently.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know. We hope you will return soon.

Best,