“Romantic with Great Food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The French Room

The French Room
1321 Commerce St, The Adolphus Hotel, Dallas, TX 75202 (Downtown Dallas)
(214) 742-8200
Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2,993 restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Dallas
Cross street: Akard
Transit: DART and DART Light Rail (Akard Street Station)
Description: Editors at Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Travel & Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler , and Fodor's have consistently included The French Room on their annual lists of superlative restaurants. The Zagat Survey of America's Top Restaurants ranks the dining room No. 1 for food, decor, and service, and it's only one of nine restaurants in the United States to have achieved a near-perfect food score. Texas Monthly and D Magazine list The French Room among the best restaurants in Dallas. It is now the only dining room in Texas to hold the AAA Five Diamond Award. Guided by Executive Chef Marcos Segovia, whose culinary talents have earned him acclaim around the world, The French Room is an execeptional dining experience by any standard.
Dallas, Texas
“Romantic with Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I had an early dinner reservation on Saturday for Restarant Week. We really enjoyed our dinner experience. The dining area was beautifully decorated, and the long stem candle and roses that were at our table added a nice touch for romance.

Since we had an early reservation, we were promptly seated, and were waited upon by several waiters. The service was excellent! Our drinks were filled consistently and the plates were cleared quickly after we were done with each course.

For my appetizer, I ordered the Smoked Salmon, and absolutely loved it! The flavor of the dish was amazing. My husband ordered the Texas Corn Soup, and was disappointed. It was not what he had anticipated it would be. He thought it would have corn chunks and be more "Texas-style". He was appeased after I shared my salmon dish with him (which he liked).

For the main course, I asked Jose what he recommended. He suggested both the Filet of Beef Tenderloin and the Zucchini Wrapped Red Snapper. He did not fail us. My husband really enjoyed his filet, stating it was one of the best he had eaten. The red snapper had a delicate taste that was flavorful when mixed with the bean puree and tomato coulis - definitely a nice combination!

We both LOVED our desserts. My husband is a chocolate fan, so the Chocolate Dome suited him quite nicely. I like mango, so the Bavarian Cream/Mango Ginger Pound Cake was the perfect choice for me. With each dish, there were so many flavors that melted in our mouths. It was most excellent!

Summary: The food was flavorful and savory, and beautifully presented. Thank you, Jose, for your recommendations! Definitely a memorable experience! What a treasure it was to finally be able to dine here.

** The only damper that we had for atmosphere was from a fly that would come to visit our table occassionally. One of the waiters was horiffied when he finally noticed it. He requested assistance from another waiter to try to find/catch it. However, it flew away and disappeared from our area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

How kind of you to post such a thoughtful, thorough review. We know that others will benefit from your insight and accurate description of The French Room.

It is a pleasure to have such discerning guests dining with us, night after night.

Thank you, kindly.

Warmest regards,

93% Recommend
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
“Only During Restaurant Week”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We enjoyed our evening at The French Room though I am surprised that this is the best restaurant in Dallas. The food was of good quality and was properly prepared. I had the crab cake that was unlike any that I've had before - it was more like a scallop actually, and the tomato jelly on top added a nice flavor. The filet for dinner was prepared well and was actually too much meat for me, I couldn't finish it all. I had the chocolate melt dessert that was also tasty but certainly not the best dessert ever - doesn't even make top 10 list.

The service is what really let me down at the French Room. We were promptly seated and served water but our bottle of wine took quite a while to show up to the table. For dessert, we asked to see the wine list again to order some dessert wines or cognac. Before we placed the order for drinks, our dessert was brought to the table. We then had to place our order for wine with those who served our dessert (not our waiter) and by the time the wine finally showed up, my ice cream had melted. In addition to the slow and inefficient service, there were multiple times during the evening that our water glasses became completely empty.

Given that it is ranked the best restaurant in Dallas, it's worth a try but I wouldn't recommend paying full price for pretty average service.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the disappointing service you experienced.

At the last minute - after we had accepted a full house of Restaurant Week reservations - one of our lead waiters fell ill and could not work. The rest of the staff did their best, but were obviously spread too thin. The timing of this absence could not have been worse.

We are very sorry for what happened. We are all too human.

Thank you.

Dallas, Texas, USA
“Excellent all around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Dined last night during Restaurant Week. Everything was excellent. Our Captain was Francisco. The Grand Marnier Souffle is not to be missed.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you joined us during Restaurant Week and that you are impressed with The French Room experience.

Francisco sends you his best. He is grateful for your praise.

Thank you!

With kind regards,

Frisco Texas
“Pure Elegance and Amazing Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I have been to The French Room within the beautiful Adolphus Hotel several times and our most recent trip was wonderful as usual. There is a reason why this is considered one of Dallas’ best restaurants. The room is simply stunning with its tall ornate ceiling and huge windows. The jacket required attire might scare some people off but it really does help compliment and complete the atmosphere and experience. You feel like you are dining somewhere very special.

Service has always been top notch with excellent waiters, an attentive support team, and excellent sommelier to assist with their extensive and creative wine list (on more than one occasion I have found myself at the wine store several days later looking for a bottle and vintage that I was introduced to me at the French Room). Our meals have always been paced perfectly so as to never have too long a gap between courses or to feel rushed. But what about the food…

Perfect is how I will describe the meal itself. On our most recent visit I enjoyed the lush Hudson Valley Foie Gras appetizer while my wife started with an absolutely fantastic Bisque. Both dishes were heavenly and I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. My entrée fish could not have been prepared better, rich, moist and exploding with flavor. I had a hard time imagining a dish that could top it until I tasted my wife’s magnificent tenderloin. We were stuffed but still managed to share a dessert because we could not imagine passing it up.

Yes this is old fashioned dining and I understand it being a little too stuffy for some, but I love that there is a place in town that so successfully continues to create an old fashioned elegant dining experience. However many stars they let me give this restaurant it deserves more.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

How kind of you to post such a thorough and engaging review. Our management and staff appreciate your high praise and enthusiastic recommendation.

Your experience is true to our standards of excellence.

Thank you for your loyalty!

Best regards,

David
“Service was poor, food was good, but not worth the money!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had a 9pm reservation to celebrate our Anniversary. The first waiter threw my napkin on my lap & walked away. The next showed up after about 5 mins & asked what we'd like to drink. We had not been offered a drink or wine list yet so we asked for one & a bottle of sparkling water. Again another 5 min wait. Once we got the wine list we found something quickly to order, only to be informed several mins later that they'd had a run on that champaign & would have to go doeown to the cellar to get more & that it would take around 10 mins. We opted for something else as this was starting to ruin the mood. It was about another 10 mins before we got our champaign & we were about 3/4 of the way through the sparkling water when the waiter idled it away before icily even say we weren't finished with that. He brought another bottle which we didn't order & were charged for. The staff was unorganized & sloppy in their service & doesn't deserve in my opinion a 6 diamond rating. Although the restaurant is pretty & the food was good it is over priced & over rated. Far from my best dinning experience. We will not be dinning there again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We value constructive criticism as well as compliments. Please accept our apologies for the misunderstandings that occurred. Rest assured, we have addressed the points you raised. They are completely out of character of The French Room and contrary to what the vast majority of our guests experience, night after night.

We are very sorry you were disappointed and hope you will give us another opportunity to shine.

Very sincerely,

David

Been to The French Room? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The French Room, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.