“A Surprising Find in the Pizza Desert of North Dallas” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Dallas, TX
“A Surprising Find in the Pizza Desert of North Dallas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

We live in west Plano, not exactly the Mecca of great pizza. So when I received a flyer in the mail for the Pizza Guy I decided to give them a whirl. After all, the bar was low and we were starving. I noticed the menu had several interesting combinations including a white pizza, or more commonly called Alfredo in these here parts (available with and without spinach). I called the restaurant and was greeted by an extremely friendly and knowledgeable ADULT named Roger. Since my experience with order-takers at pizza joints is limited to clueless teenagers with an attitude who'd rather be anywhere than taking my order over the phone, I was pleasantly surprised. I opted for a large Alfredo on traditional hand- tossed (Roger's recco) and a bacon cheeseburger on thin. I noticed they had a tempting roster of wing flavors, but since wings at pizza places tend to be anemic and tasteless, I wasn't sure I should waste my money. I asked Roger about them, and he seemed very enthusiastic about the product so I decided to give them a try. I ordered honey bbq (there was a sweet heat as well, a spicy rendition of this) and was torn on a second flavor. Roger suggested lemon pepper or garlic Parmesan, so I tried the former. After ordering it suddenly occurred to me that the restaurant might not deliver to far west Plano from their north Dallas location. Roger said not to worry, they'd be happy to bring it out this way. I paid by phone and hung up. A few minutes later I was looking at the flyer and noticed a coupon for free bread sticks with purchase. I called back and this time the owner answered. He said he'd be delighted to add the bread sticks to my order - didn't hesitate in the least. Surprisingly quickly thereafter, my doorbell rang. The food was admirably hot on arrival. The Alfredo was spectacular - big, loaded with cheese and a tangy Parmesan snap on a medium- thick golden brown crust. The cheeseburger with bacon smelled fabulous and tasted even better. You could actually discern each ingredient, generously applied and high quality. The thin crust was a good choice for this particular combination as it really allowed the toppings to shine. But here was the really big surprise: the chicken wings. Fabulous. Meaty. Flavorful but not dripping with sauce or grease. They were as good or better than most wing joints. I also noticed they were kind enough to include a few extra in my order - a small but appreciated gesture. Another unexpected treat was the breadsticks. Their version was actually more like a small cheese-only pizza, round and cut into thin strips with marinara sauce for dipping. It's worth mentioning that all the pizzas came with grated Parmesan and crushed pepper on the side, a lagniappe often lacking these days, to pinch a penny I guess. In sum, we thought Pizza Guy was a delicious surprise, with a high quality product, excellent service, reasonable prices and fast delivery. It's this family's new favorite.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I really enjoy this pizza. I miss it since I have moved. The cheese makes it in my opinion. High quality cheese and...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

I really enjoy this pizza. I miss it since I have moved. The cheese makes it in my opinion. High quality cheese and toppings are great. Love the sausage.