“So much fun!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
“So much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Great food, great old-fashioned atmosphere, super service. It's all at the newly relocated Mecca in the heart of Lakewood. We remember the original location on Harry Hines and are so happy they're in our hood now.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas
“New location in Lakewood area - great except the service is slow slow slow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is a Dallas original with great food (breakfast items, burgers, etc) and they have re-located to Lakewood. The place is a bit small and the wait is very long and the service is mixed at best. Slow response by the wait staff at the tables is an issue that I witnessed constantly. The bigger problem is people who have finished their meals and yet occupy booths and tables with no regard for those who are needing a table. They air and talk and seem to care less for customers who are standing around waiting for a table. When you're done with a meal get your ticket and leave. It's real simple.
The food is good, but service is too slow and people lingering at their table chatting when they should be leaving is rude to waiting customers.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Go because it's a Dallas institution”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Well, I finally visited after all these years. This restaurant has been around since 1938. As others have mentioned, they are moving locations any minute now. I think it's best to be out of their current area. I had just scrambled eggs, bacon, and pancakes. Each item tasted a bit off. How is that possible??? Shouldn't eggs taste like eggs?? Can't even describe what exactly was off on each item, but there was something. Maybe stick with what others are recommending like the cinnamon rolls or the migas. I really did love my waitress, though! Just the type of person you want for your breakfast waitress - pleasant and efficient!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Its a good thing this place is moving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

cuz maybe the new place will be clean. I heard the Harry Hines location was closing down, so I had to make it there one last time before they moved to Lakewood. This has always been one of my favorite breakfast places with the BEST MIGAS in all of Dallas. I stopped going a few months back as the cleanliness of the place, the consitency of the food and the service all started to drop. I believe the place changed owners a couple of times and some of the forever waitresses left.

My first time back in a while and I must say the migas were better than ever. Our order was messed up, quickly replaced, but still wrong so we just ate it. This has always been a challenge for them. But man-o-man was this place filthy. It's like they stopped cleaning. I noticed caked on food against the walls under the booths. Heavy dust around the pictures, fans, corners. Worst of all, the busboy dropped his cleaning towel on the floor twice and used it AS IS both times. Really????? This is restaurant training 101.

I'll miss you guys, but I hope you can up the quality of everything you offer. The lakewood crowd won't tolerate 1/4 of this stuff. Best of luck and maybe I'll drive out there with a craving for migas.

I give it a YUM YUM YUM YUM out of 5 YUMS for the food;
YUM out of 5 YUMS for service and cleanliness.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
McKinney
“decent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went July 4th for lunch. I had biscuits and gravy which were very bland. My spouse had the miggas which was great. We ordered the cinnamon roll to take home. It was great.
THe portions are very generous. On another visit I had the chicken and dumplings which was wonderful.

• Visited July 2012