“Great Service... HORRIBLE Smell” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Thai, Tapas
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Austin, Texas
“Great Service... HORRIBLE Smell”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

When you walk in, you immediately smell a horrible, awful smell. I'm not sure how anyone can possibly eat in the main dining room due to the smell. They moved us into another room, where we couldn't notice any smell at all.

Ordered off the Happy Hour Menu. The food was great and the Bud Lights were $1.50. Servers were very nice and pleasant. A good experience.

Had to walk/run back through the main dining room to exit and still could nto believe people actually ate in that dining room with the smell.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lajitas, Texas
“Great sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This place is off Greenville, so I am sure most people miss it, but don't. Fresh made sushi, excellent choices, Great prices. A little gem of a restaurant hidden in the Knox Henderson - South Greenville area.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Galveston Island, Texas
“Where are the other diners - Could it be the smell?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

In the search for a nice place for a quick bite of Thai Food, my trusty GPS lead me to this oasis on Greenville (although according to the address it is enough off Greenville to have another address, one can park on Greenville). Guests are welcomed through a beautiful garden with a vertical waterfall wall into an architecturally modern Asian foyer. Between the time we arrived at 5:45 until we left at 6:30, we and a four-top of college students were the only people there.

While it comes up as Thai food in the GPS listing and they advertise they now serve Thai -- I went with the sushi (Tornado and California rolls) and the summer rolls. The plates were beautiful. The Tornado roll was served in a long narrow plate with the wasabi and ginger sitting next to the sauce well which contained a slightly spicy, slightly sweet sauce that beautifully brought out the combination of flavors. The California roll was tasty as well and beautifully presented ... but I order this roll because it would be difficult to mess up.

My spouse and favorite dining companion ordered the Thai Beef Salad and it was also very good.

The reason I am not rating this restaurant higher is the faint whiff of sewer gas that assaulted my senses when I walked in. Having worked in the food service business, I know this can be anything from a grease trap that needs emptying to a plumbing issue -- but in a place that works so hard to make really tasty and beautiful food, and a beautiful dining atmosphere -- they should be aware of what could be turning their customers away.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dallas, Texas
“SEVERE FOOD POISONING”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I've had food poisoning before, so I know what it feels like, and within 20 minutes of eating here I was doubled over with shooting cramps throughout my abdomen, vomiting, and diarrhea. I was in this state for about 3 hours until I saw a home remedy online that allowed me to call them and ask for a manager to please call when she got in. I was told she wouldn't be in until 9, so I politely left my number and awaited her call. She did not call. When I called back around 10PM, and explained that I was a regular customer, but would like my $20 back from my last meal, she said, "You cannot prove that we made you sick." I said, "Are you really wishing to lose a customer that has spent hundreds of dollars in your restaurant because of $20?" And she said, "I wouldn't even refund $5."

I very immaturely said, 'What if I got sick in the restaurant and threw up on the floor as evidence?" And she said, "Then I would call the police."

This is such a poor way to run a business. I know their sushi made me sick, and I am very disappointed in how they handled it. I know many people enjoy this place, I just wish that the customer service matched the pleasing late hours that everyone enjoys.

• Visited August 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dallas
“Amazing restaurant that I can't get enough of!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

My friend took me here the other night after a club at about 2:30 am! The servers were so nice. We ordered shrimp and crab rolls with pad see eew and shrimp. It was all so very good! The food took about 8 minutes to come out and it was as fresh as could be! I liked it so much that two days later I went back again for the Pad See Eew. Only this time we ordered caterpillar rolls and they were AMAZING! I am not fond of eating eel, but those rolls were unbelievably good! It's a must try restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Nandina? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Nandina, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.