“Never, Ever Again During Spreak Break...Needs Better Crowd Management” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Perot Museum of Nature and Science

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 115 Attractions in Dallas
Type: Science Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Inspiring minds through nature and science.
Lubbock, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“Never, Ever Again During Spreak Break...Needs Better Crowd Management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Today was the second time my son and I having been to the Perot. Overall, it is enjoyable and my son enjoys it, but this will be the last time I ever attend during spring break. I have never encountered so many rude, hateful patrons in a museum before. My son was pushed, shoved and knocked over by kids and adults alike. Complaining to staff members was an exercise in frustration. You are just met with a blank stare and an "oh well" attitude. They need actual employees walking around the different floors and not adolescent volunteers who do not have the authority to do anything about the pushing and shoving and overall hateful behavior.

This museum is not designed to effectively handle the crowds that come through there on a daily basis. The cafeteria area is a joke for a lack of a better word. Overcrowded, not enough places to sit, overpriced and not worth the trouble of fighting the huge crowds or the overflated prices. 3.00 for soft drink?? 3.00 for a mediocre cookie?? Give me a break.

This place needs to overhaul it's admission procedures. It is way too crowded and you have to wait way to long for the price of admission. It is organized chaos at best. It don't know how many guests are allowed in per hr but if I had to guess, it's easily 3-500 per hr if not more. At one point the exhibit halls were just choked with people, with not room to move anywhere. I am sure we missed many hands on things because we simply could not get to the exhibits due to the large crowds.

They need a no tolerance policy. Remove the guests that are pushing, shoving and using foul language (which I saw and heard plenty of today). I understand that spring break brings out the large crowds but today was just flat out ridiculous. No kind of crowed management at all. Just see how many ppl they can pack in all at once.

The parking situation was a nightmare. Every man for him self in two lots under the freeway that are not designed for the large crowds. Only one DPD officer directing traffic directly in front of the museum and that was it, Long lines to pay the self ticketing parking kiosks and a long walk to the front door.

I might be talked into going again because my son really enjoys it and he is really into math and science. But I don't think this place ever really has a off period so it will be a long time before I return. I will just go to the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History instead.

Dallas, Texas
18 attraction reviews
“Over hyped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

The museum is nice. The drawback is that it is quite small. It is four floors tall. You go up the escalator to the 4th floor and then work your way down. The exhibits are nice but they are more geared towards the 10+ age group. The place gets filled very quickly due to its small capacity which makes it quite painful to go through. Exhibits worth a look have long lines. My 6 year old got bored quickly and my 10 year old ran out of patience waiting in lines. For a city the size of Dallas, this is a very small sized museum. My recommendation would be to pass on it and visit one of the Fort Worth museums. That will be money and time well spent.

Dallas, Tx
5 attraction reviews
“I Guess It's OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and I went on a Wednesday afternoon. The first frustration was finding parking. The museum lot was full as were most of the surrounding public lots. We eventually found parking and made our way to the museum. Even though they try to regulate the number of patrons allowed entry per hour, the museum was terribly crowded. I couldn't try any of the interactive devices because the lines were too long. A lot of the exhibits required reading, but with all of the people crowding around and walking in front of you, the task was nearly impossible. I was exhausted when I left, having expended all of my energy fighting the crowds and strollers. I got very little out of the exhibits. I guess they might be ok, but I never really got to find out. I think I would have been better of using the money to rent a months worth of DVDs at Redbox. At least it would have been more relaxing.

Mount Pleasant, Texas
“Kids and Adult wonderland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This place is a wonderland for those interested in science. My daughter can't wait to go back ad participate in the experiments.

Grapevine, Texas
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Beautiful architecture. Environmentally friendly (or at least as much as a building that size can be.) We have visited twice during holiday breaks and the museum is still very new-- so I just expect crowds. I think its well organized and they stagger entrance times to keep it from being over crowded. Enjoyed the live science demonstrations. I grew up in Chicago going to the Museum of Science and Industry and the Field Museum-- which are world class museums. I just expected that every big city had museums of that caliber. As an adult I was surprised to find out how rare they are. The Perot is smaller than those Chicago institutions but it is every bit as informative and interesting. I also appreciated that the nature and wildlife exhibits focus on species that live in TX. Would highly recommend it.

Visited January 2014

Been to Perot Museum of Nature and Science? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Perot Museum of Nature and Science, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.