“Based on the rooftop pool alone... stay here” 5 of 5 stars

NYLO Dallas South Side
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1325 South Lamar St., Dallas, TX 75215   |
Ranked #42 of 191 Hotels in Dallas
New York City, New York
“Based on the rooftop pool alone... stay here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I doubt that there's another hotel that offers such a dead-center, unobstructed view of the cool Dallas skyline from its rooftop pool. Granted, the pool itself isn't huge, and on a warm, sunny day, it'll be a crap shoot to get one of the lounging chairs. But it's still worth it.

NYLO Dallas South Side is a little bit off the beaten path. I get the sense that this section of Lamar is turning into a bit of an entertainment district, but it really is a tiny one compared to the many others around town. It's very accessible to downtown and the highways, so location-wise, it is a good choice.

The decor is modern/quirky and makes good use of the features of this building, which I suspect used to be used for some industrial or warehousing purpose way back when. I loved the high ceilings and how they dampen any noise from heavy-footed guests upstairs. I did hear some voices from the adjoining rooms, but it wasn't terrible. In fact, I requested earplugs -- something I never do -- because there were a couple of wedding parties at the hotel on the Friday night I stayed. Slept beautifully.

I'm not a big fan of the use-a-key-card-to-activate-room-lights feature... I get it, it saves a lot of energy. But given the fact that most guests, even if they're by themselves, are issued at least two cards, it's a gimmick that's pretty easy to defeat. Unless it's the middle of the night, in which case it means fumbling for the stupid key card in order to see one's way to the bathroom. That's really the only thing I didn't like, and all in all, it was 5 seconds worth of grumbling from me... not a big deal.

Loved the free wireless, didn't mind the valet (the charge is a LOT cheaper than in other cities, or other parts of this city) and thought the staff members were great. I don't know much about the NYLO brand, but I hope they're able to expand to several other cities. I'm a fan.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Mansfield, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We chose this hotel for girlfriends weekend after the many raving reviews. We stayed here June 22-23 in a king suite. Two queen beds separate from living area, with TVs in both rooms. Highlights were the high ceilings, comfortable beds and linens, large open shower with double shower head, very trendy colors, stained concrete (no nasty hotel carpet!), their "Green" initiative and how the feel of the original warehouse kept its original shape and feel, inside and out. The rooftop Soda bar with view of the Dallas skyline over the pool was my personal favorite -- even for one from the DFW metroplex. Location is perfect, just outside the downtown grid with no traffic. .

The only thing that kept this hotel from being a 5 star was the smell when you entered the hotel lobby - and it may be temporary, I wouldn't know but it was actually nauseating. We held our breath to take a few photos in the lobby because it was absolutely beautiful but could not stay to enjoy lobby bar or restaurant. I emailed the hotel but received no response. Will ask about lobby maintenance issues before considering to visit again.

Room Tip: -Rooms on the North side, above level 3 offer Dallas skyline view- ask if the room has frosted glass...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Lewisville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the NYLO South Side last week. It was such a great experience! The hotel is so charming and full of personality. There are many great lounge areas to hangout on the bottom floor. Our room was just like a New York loft, and it had amazing views of the city. We spent a lot of our time at the rooftop pool. It was a great place to relax. Around the corner from the hotel was the Morning Bell Coffee Shop, and we were close to many great shopping areas. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I spent one night at NYLO while in town for a birthday dinner. The hotel was easy to find with plenty of parking. The hotel staff even accommodated my early arrival. The room was spacious and nice (my favorite part was the huge bathroom). I liked the LOFT style of the room and the bed was extremely comfortable. My only complaint was after returning to the hotel after 10pm the parking lot is full with patrons clubbing at the rooftop club SODA. I had to park across the street which in all fairness the hotel staff warns you of this + gives you a complimentary parking to put on your dashboard so you don't have to pay. FYI: This did not ruin or irritate my stay at all.

This hotel is designed for the young professional in mind. No disrespect to older tourist 40+ but the amenities, style, set-up are designed for the 25-35 demographic. I'd love to come back for a couple getaway weekend.

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms may come with a better view of Downtown Dallas but also comes with a price of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights and we were so impressed with this hotel and the immediate area. It has such a hip and trendy vibe, but it's not pretenious and the service is outstanding. The hotel is super artistic and every aspect was so cool and well thought out. The rooms were great, beds were super comfy, showers perfect. There's not a downside to this hotel. They're even focused on being green, with recycling stations, water and electric usage systems in place. The best thing of it all was the rooftop bar, pool and view...wow!!!!! If you're coming to Dallas and need a hotel, I would not miss this one!

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I am not reviewing the hotel itself as I didn't end up staying there, but am commenting on the excellent customer service provided by Trent Yoder the General Manager. My husband and I had made last minute reservations at NLYO Southside for a one-night getaway from the kids. Booked the room on the Monday for a Wednesday night stay. I completely chose this hotel because of the beautiful rooftop pool overlooking downtown Dallas - had visions of cocktail drinks watching the sun set with my husband! Arrived to find that the hotel pool and bar was closed from 5pm - 8pm for a private function. This should have been communicated to me at the time of making my reservation. I was LIVID! Trent Yoder quickly came up and apologized for the inconvenience and gave us a refund for the prepaid room. He also called another hotel in Downtown Dallas and got us a very nice room there. To top it all off, he had NYLO pay for our room at the other hotel! He also told us that we could have a free night at NYLO in the future. Trent Yoder knows how to treat customers to get them from angry to very happy - and want to come back to his hotel! Very impressed!

Larue, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Only two reasons for us not giving this stay 5 stars- Parking & the odd mix of people camping at the rooftop pool. The parking lot's not big enough for the busy nights so we had to park across the street and walk; however, if you let the staff know, they will give you voucher to park for free, so we were good. The pool on the roof's not really big enough for the eclectic group of people gathering there, but it does make for some fun people watching! Just don't expect a relaxing lounge by the pool and it is not really geared for kids (not a problem for us). Maybe it's different during the week?? We loved the downstairs bar and the dining area was comfortable and the food good. If they had roomservice, we would never have left the room! Love the overall experiance and we are definetly staying there again soon. Oh yeah, we brought "dress" clothes based on pics from their site, but we were pleasantly surprised at the comfortable vibe that allowed us to not have to put them on. Awesome weekend!!

Room Tip: The higher you are the less street noise. If noise is an issue, keep away from the elevators too.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to NYLO Dallas South Side? Share your experiences!