“Second Visit; Still Good as First!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 3,029 restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dallas
“Second Visit; Still Good as First!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our first visit was terrific. My wife's ribs literally fell "Off the Bone". I had brisket and it was tender and moist; I could cut it with a plastic fork. This time, she had to have the ribs again they were so great the first time. The owner brought her a plastic knife just in case. She didn't use it they were so tender. This time, I got pulled pork as well as more brisket. They were both wonderful. Their cole slaw is unique with bits of blue cheese mixed in. The beans were spiced with jalapeno and, while that's not my favorite, they were very good and I ate them all. We met people from put-of-town that had heard of Off the Bone and were delighted they had been told to visit. Just may be the best bar-b-que in the DFW Metroplex. I've lived here since 1976 and this is certainly my "First Place".

• Visited May 2012

87% Recommend
Dallas
“What a Pleasant Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

First - The food. It was great. My wife ordered the ribs and marveled at how they simply fell "Off the Bone" while she ate with a plastic fork. I had a combo of pulled pork and brisket. They were both delightful.

Second - The Owner & Family. The owner, the dad, is great. Very polite and hospitable. His son took the orders. What a polite, friendly and pleasant person to meet. We felt like one of the family.

We will be back!

• Visited April 2012
los angeles
“Delicious BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Wow, we got off the plan and used yelp to find a good bbq place. Low and behold we landed at Off the Bone BBQ. Line wasn't too long since it was already 2:30p.m.The guys who work there are super hospitable and cool. Felt very welcome and the food. We got the ribs and chicken. RIBS hands down were the best I've had. Sauce was finger lickin good and meat just slipped off the rib as soon as you took a bite! We would defintely recommend this place to anyone visiting Dallas! Great people.

Visited March 2012
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Not Bad for Texas BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Being a lover of BBQ, I mean the real deal, slow smoked, dry rubbed, and don't ruin it with a basting of sauce, BBQ!
When we pulled into the parking lot we were meet with the pleasing aroma of smoke eminating from an outside smoker. That was a good sign.
Very friendly and nice employees took our orders, 2 full racks, show us what you got!
Well, what we got were just okay ribs. Not great and not bad, just okay.
They did fall off the bone, but they were basted in sauce during the smoker process which seemed to hide the the true flavor of the meat, or at least replaced the flavor.
I guess what I'm saying is let the rib and the smoke be the star, not the dry rub or the glaze or the sauce.
Overall, I would do these again, not my first choice for ribs, but not bad.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Super-Tender Tasty Ribs -- and Great Sides, Too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

As all Texans know, you frequently find great BBQ meat everywhere in our state -- but rarely are the sides (beans, slaw, potato salad, etc.) as delectable as the meaty main event. At Off the Bone, in a funky area just south of downtown Dallas, the slaw is crunchy and fresh with a hit of bleu cheese crumbles and bacon bits and the charro beans are spicy with chunks of smoked sausage. Most remarkable of all, the potato salad tastes truly homemade, with a simple mustard/mayo dressing just barely binding together the potato, chunks of celery and even hard-boiled egg. It is clearly freshly made -- you can taste the individual ingredients and the texture is wonderful. Oh, and the beef ribs are smoky and fall-off-the-bone tender! Brisket and smoked sausage were tasty, too, but the ribs were our favorite. It's a tiny place -- just a few tables -- with customers ranging from hipsters in "fashion eyewear" to regular folk. The guys behind the counter are happy to make recommendations. Check it out!

• Visited February 2012