“Throw out your stigma about vegan bunny chow and eat here” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 3,085 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Bakery, Diner, Vegan
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Oak cliff location of this chain.
Dallas, Texas
“Throw out your stigma about vegan bunny chow and eat here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Disclaimer: I'm not vegan. I will (probably) never be vegan. But to close yourself off to an amazing meal at Spiral Diner because of vegan stigma? Perish the thought. The food here is prepared so well that you'd have try hard to distinguish it from non-vegan. The cashew cheese is better than a lot of real cheese I've had and the chocolate chip cookies blew my mind. The service at the Dallas location is waaay better than Fort Worth, but the food is similar. Plus, they have a bunch of grocery items you can buy. It's an eclectic, out-of-the-box experience, but one that everyone should try at least once.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Not a great experience - hopefully a fluke”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We did not have a good experience at Spiral Diner. I am, however, still giving it 4 stars, because I think it was a fluke and if I had the chance to return I expect it would be better. I flew in on a Tuesday night and my flight was delayed, so we didn't get to the restaurant until after 8:30. There were a few other customers, and after sitting down a server came over right away. We ordered chips and cheese (the cheese sauce was delicious), and based upon the server's recommendation, I ordered the breakfast quesadilla and my husband (a meat eater) ordered the meatball sub. We also got a strawberry shake. The shake came quickly and was good, but there was an odd taste that I can't put my finger on. It also didn't have a really strong strawberry taste. She said there would be real strawberries in it, but if there were they were so pureed that they weren't detectable. After waiting more than 30 minutes for our food, and watching other customers receive their food, I hunted down our server (she hadn't been over to check on us at all) and asked her if it would be much longer for our food. She looked confused and said "you mean you haven't gotten it yet?" (She was the only server so I don't know who she though would have brought it if she didn't.) I said we hadn't and she came over to our table and picked up the piece of paper she left there and took it back to the kitchen (presumably to ask if they had the order). She came back and said that she never put in our order and it would take only a few minutes for the cooks to make our food. She didn't really apologize, and said she wasn't sure what happened even while saying that she forgot to put it in. She also didn't offer any discount or free item. We did finally receive our food, and it was pretty good. The quesadilla was huge and tasted good. It isn't something I would order again though. My husband said the meatball sub was okay. The potato salad that he got with his sandwich was very good. I wish I had ordered a burger since everyone on TA seems to like them. I do hope this was a rare experience, since I'm all for great vegan restaurants! I don't live in Texas so probably won't have the chance to try them again, but I hope others give them a try based on the other reviews here.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Felt good afterwards.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I ordered the burrito, I think it was called the trucker or something like that. It's basically a big smothered burrito that comes with borracha beans. Everything was vegan but tasted like I was chowing down on some good fattening food. I was amazed of how good I felt afterwards, that's because it was all vegan. My mind thought I was supposed to be tired after eating a big burrito and beans... But I wasn't tired or bloated. Good place. It's healthy.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Providence, Rhode Island
“EXCELLENT vegan diner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Get the Cowboy Burger, with the Nutty Patty. Don't question it, just do it. I was a vegetarian in Texas, and so I felt the call of the Cowboy Burger, and it hit the spot. Also, the chocolate milkshake was definitely in my personal top 3 chocolate milkshakes I've ever had -- and I usually get them with real ice cream. But this one was better. The place is super-fun and funky. I highly recommend.

• Visited June 2013
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Fun environment, great healthy food. I recommend everyone try it... I will certainly stop here again. The Cowboy classic burger is excellent.

• Visited May 2013