“Very nice little find” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: New in Bishop Arts District....charming.
“Very nice little find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Just finished dining at Lucia's. Truly an amazing experience. The Rabbit was tremendous. Quail fantastic. Did i mention that the pork-chop was enormous and flavorful? Our wait staff was knowledgable with excellent recommendations. Place is small with just a few tables and sort of out of the way. But worth every the trip.

Visited April 2013

Texas
“Best meal in quite a while”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Excellent meal with attentive service and friendly staff. Intimate setting with limited, but changing menu. The Salumi at the start is a must. All of the first and second courses the 4 of us ordered were fantastic. I do not see this restaurant as limiting itself to a single style or label -- meaning some of it was a classic Italian theme, and some more continental. We will be gonig back often.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Lived up to its rep and then some”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a tough reservation to get. Our friends had been a couple of time before and knew the drill to get a reservation -- calling the first day of the month at 9:30 to get a reservation the following month if I remember right. We were thrilled to not have to do the work but be included.

I love, love, love the Bishop Arts District. If you live in Dallas and haven't been there, shame on you. This restaurant is a lot like a restaurant in NYC. Small, unique, intimate, wonderful. We scored the table in the window and seats on both sides have great vantage points. The ones facing the windows get the street action. The ones facing the restaurant get to watch the other patrons.

Very nice wine selection - not all pricey. Every bite I ate was wonderful. We started with their house cured meats and cheese plates. Both were tasty and unique - a far higher quality than what you might get at your local deli - light and pungent but not greasy. Try as everyone says the foie gras stuffed prunes - they are small and cost $1 but are a creamy rich bite.
My pasta course was easily the best pasta dish I have ever had. It is on the regular menu - spaghetti with seared cauliflower, bottarga and breadcrumbs. If you are like me and would have to ask what bottarga is, I will share my newly acquired knowledge. It is cured fish roe. It is like fish crumbs and a bit crunchy. Our server described it as having a briny taste. It does -- you have to love that caviar/anchovy type taste. I do! The dish was simple yet so layered. The homemade pasta had a wonderful texture as did the dish with the crunchy bite of the bread crumbs and bottarga. Loved it! The cauliflower is there but does not overtake the dish.

My husband and I shared the halibut which was a simply cooked piece of fresh, fresh fish cooked to perfection. For dessert I had another home run - the rice pudding. Creamy and amazing fluffy -- just a revelation. Coffee -- also terrific.

When I go back I want the same table, the same dinner and the same wait staff. Dallas is lucky, lucky to have this wonderful place to eat authentic Italian.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Nice quaint restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Quaint SMALL restaurant in the Bishop Arts (Oak Cliff) district. Hard to get reservations both weekdays and weekends with weekends being booked 2 months in advance. Oustanding appetizers with the salumi (home cured meats) being top notch. For $1, you must try the foie gras stuffed prune. Not a fan of either but it was excellent!!! The main entrees vary -- the pork chop was delicious. My partner's pasta dish was a spring pea and pasta which she said was very good, but not outstanding. Have heard that the Rabbit dish is wonderful. Great wait staff and good Italian wine selection.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“I just don't get the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

A friend made this reservation, as this restaurant is famed as one of the hardest seats to get in Dallas and I understand that to be true, but it just didn't live up to the hype. One: we are Italian food lovers, and if you peruse my reviews, I am in Italy often, and have traveled the country quite a bit. So, I know Italian food and this isn't it. What is with the Dallas restaurant scene trying to be so 'creative' and outside the box that they lose the aspects of the foods they claim they are making? I had the scallop appetizer (which are uncooked) and while it seems to be an attempt at ceviche type food, it was too raw for my taste. For main course I had the scallops with beans and while independently they tasted great, together they were a mess. As a whole for the group, The salumi plate was fine, and they gave us some Foie Gras because our table ran 30 min late. Foie Gras isn't an Italian food. The raw oysters made my friend ill. You must order all your food except dessert up front ( SO not Italian style, where you can order as you go)
The staff was attentive, and there is an honest enthusiasm from the owners wife who is the hostess. In summary, we won't ever be going back. All the meats are somewhat exotic, no chickens or cooked fish at all either. Overall was a disappointment.

• Visited February 2013