“Barbecue breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Smoke

Smoke
901 Fort Worth Ave, Dallas, TX 75208-1710 (West Dallas)
214-393-4141
Neighborhood: West Dallas
Dallas, TX
“Barbecue breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went here for an anniversary breakfast - starting the day off right. I had the smoked salmon plate with goat cheese, pickled onions and buttermilk dill toast - just a little plate of heaven.
Everything has a great smoky flavor to it - the side of cheese hominy grits was a great addition.

My husband had the brisket hash and a side of pork belly bacon - awesomeness.

They lost a start because our waitress - while lovely - never brought us a drink menu. We kind of had to guess/fumble through that part. But again, it was early in the morning and not so big a slip up that I wouldn't come back again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Wow barbecue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We had appetizers from Smoke at the Belmonte Hotel which serves a wicked margarita. We ordered the oysters....OH MY GAWD. Fantastic! delicious and just too few to split for two.
I recommend you each order your own and just gobble them up and wash them down with the margarita.
Then run next door to SMOKE
I would have ordered the quail the fois gras, just about everything, but I was trying to keep my calorie count down so I split an order of: The Big Rib with Hominy Casserole & Fresh Herb Chimichurri
Definitely split this with your friend. This is a short rib that hasn't been "pretty-uped" for us city folks. The hominey is cooked to perfection, and the rib is short ribs, i.e. fatty meat that has been barbecued. Eat it hot either wise it's not so good. The hominey is great.

T

Visited March 2013
Montgomery, Texas
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We went to Smoke for a late lunch. My daughter and son-in-law discovered the place on an earlier trip. The food and service were marvelous. However, several items on the menu were not available--either they were out or it was too much past lunch time. We also wanted a whole pie. They needed advanced notice for that ( understandable), but the waitress went out of her way to find out about nearby pie places. The charming Belmont is right next door. I would definately go back.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“meat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I love this place! perfect brunch after new years eve. Among their staff are some of the friendly people from the hotel next door. Ask your waiters, they know what you should order and it may surprise you. I've seen a man go from "no way!" to "wait, are beef ribs my favorite now?" because of the waiter's suggestion on beef short ribs. (I don't know if those are still available - that particular instance was 3 years ago). Haven't had a bad food experience here yet since then though. We had a big group on new years day so we were able to try everything pretty much on the menu... nothing disappointed. I think the hash was everyone's favorite on the brunch menu.

Visited January 2013
Dallas, Texas
“A Wow in Every Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Don't miss Smoke. I have to say we loved everything about it. We will go back and back.

We had heard about Smoke -- faves from friends. So when planning a dinner with friends, we suggested it. When I called I learned that they only take reservations for groups of 6 or more. So my husband and I went early to have a drink at the bar so we could insure we got a table. I know it can get crowded.

It is the restored and charming Belmont Hotel. Valet parking is pretty much required. When we walked in we talked with the young man working the front and he assured we would seat us when we could confirm our friends were almost there. We sat at the bar near the large jars with the cedar wood & tequila and the maple wood bourbon - infusing. It was so inviting we ordered the Woodshed Margarita and a drink containing the maple infused bourbon. Both were really delicious. Our bartender listened to my request to make my margarita tart. In fact, he was helpful and gracious in every way.

Isidro (Ysidro?) is the kind of ambassador for Smoke any of us would want to have for our business. He spoke of what a wonderful place it was to work and how proud he was of the food. He suggested that we order the blistered sheshito peppers as an appetizer. We took his suggestion and ordered them while we waited. They were surprisingly flavorful with sea salt, lime and bits of crispy ham. The are a must order. He also recommended the cabrito and the pork chop.

When our friends arrived, we were seated int the front room. It was busy but the table are enough far apart so that you don't feel crowded. We ordered the cabrito and the hummus to start. The menu has small, medium and large plates. The small is a small appetizer, the medium is an appetizer to share and the large are entrees. The cabrito was the table's favorite of the night. It was like a large tamale or meat pie filled with tender, flavorful cabrito. Again, don't miss it. As a table we had the whole fish which that night was branzino, the fish fillet which was red snapper and the beef ribs. The branzino had anchovy butter which was a tasty, tasty touch. The ribs had a nice crust and flavor. All were hits.

The wait staff was so helpful, friendly and warm. The entire experience was like that -- management has to be doing something very right to create that kind of atmosphere. Audrey was our waitress, was pretty new but soooo good. We loved her.

We were stuffed but remembered their signature dessert was churros so we split an order. Again I would go just for those.

I hope Smoke is around for a very long time. I would go just for the craft cocktails and I would go just for Isidro. I would go just for the atmosphere. I would go just for the peppers or the cabrito or the branzino or for the churros. Just go!! (And go again!)

And do what we did -- head up to the Bar Belmont for the view of downtown Dallas. You can get many of the appetizers and craft cocktails there.

• Visited March 2013