“Great atmosphere, kind and enthusiastic people, average pizza.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Good for: Outdoor seating
“Great atmosphere, kind and enthusiastic people, average pizza.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011 via mobile

I only had the pizza and cannot comment on the italian food. The people there are great and really want you to feel welcome. We had some interesting chats.

The pizza was good enough, though the crust was very thin. At first I thiught I woujldnt be able to finish their single size pizza. But because of thethin bread, I was able to.

The whole payment system was a bit odd, but it worked well enough.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Pros: the spinach ravioli was decent...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

Pros: the spinach ravioli was decent. good flavor. the tomato/basil pasta had great flavor, lots of fresh garlic.
Patio was nice.

Cons: Sat night: Hostess greeted us without smiles and "Have you been here before?" No "Hello", no "How ya doing folks?".
She showed us how to order but little else. Didn't tell us how to order wine or desserts. The whole experience isn't convenient. I want to go to dinner to relax, not work to get my meal. The bartender came outside to the patio to tell us a private party will be out in 20 min and that we'd have to move. DIDNT EVEN OFFER TO BRING US A DRINK/WINE MENU.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Annoying and Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I’m the type that likes it simple. Give me a waiter or take my order all in one place. Vapiano is set up to where you have to go to a specific station to order each different entrée. One for pizza, one for salad, one for pasta and then you swipe a card given by the host(ess). Because of this, employees are standing around while you are standing in line because it’s not their station. Why can’t I order a pizza in the salad line? Can you imagine having to go to more than one checkout lane at the grocery store for each different item?

My entrée (Ravioli) was $10.95, side salad was $2.00, and a Corona beer was $4.75 ( I missed the happy hour that began at 4:00 PM) bringing a total with tax to $18.77 which I think is a lot for serving yourself.

On a good note, I will say that the décor was excellent and the food was good but with a score of 10 being the highest, I would give them a 6.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The food is quite good, but the whole tab card & station concept is a pain. Much of the social side of dining out is...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

The food is quite good, but the whole tab card & station concept is a pain. Much of the social side of dining out is lost waiting in lines to order and such.

Dallas, Texas
“By far, the worst "Italian" food we've ever had. Ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

It is really a big shame tht the food does not live up to the hype, good concept and beautiful decor. This has to be the worst Italian food we hv ever had. I don't even think one can even call it Italian food. An Italian would scoff at the blasphemy committed here.

Granted we had just returned from Florence, this restaurant cannot even compare to local Italian restaurants. We did see a Vapiano in Florence so we thought we'd try it.

The concept is one gets a debit card upon entry and you go up to the counter and tell the person wht you want to eat. You can tailor your meal to your liking. I just wanted a simple vongole dish but with shrimp instead. Red flags should hv popped up whn the person cooking my meal had no idea wht vongole or italian parsley were. Another red flag shld hv bn the hostess tht checked us in going behind the counter to cook someone's food. Hmmm. She was pretty dressed up and not in a chef's outfit so tht was odd.

The ready-made pasta sitting in mass quantities in boxes behind the cooks used in my pasta was soggy/squishy tht had a powdery quality to it. A vongole sauce tht is clam liquor/ broth based. My pasta was drowned in butter and garlic. It should hv bn tasty nevertheless but my dish was awful and tasteless. A total disappointment. Sometimes I can suffer through a badly prepared dish with some salt and red pepper flakes. I was starving but I just couldn't eat my meal. The flour-y/squishy pasta made me want to literally want to throw up.
My husband's and daughter's food were similar in quality. We couldn't eat anymore, paid up and left.

If the Vapiano in Florence know they share a name (same logo ) and are affiliated to this place, they'd DIE. Italians are SO proud of their food and its preparation. Vapiano in Dallas is committing a major sin by producing such horrible food and calling it "Italian".

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere