“Bad food made worse by a really bad manager.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Mint

The Mint
4246 Oak Lawn Avenue, Dallas, TX 75219 (Oak Lawn)
214-219-6468
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
Cross street: Prescott
Mallorca
“Bad food made worse by a really bad manager.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We only went here because of the positive reviews. (I pride myself on being able to spot fake reviews, but I guess I can be taken) Firstly, the restaurant itself is attractively designed in white and various shades of jewel-like blue. It's visually very appealing. Unfortunately, that's the only positive thing I have to say about it. We were a party of three. Two of us ordered Pad Thai, which is a favorite in our family. We both opted for scallops to be added to the dish for an additional $5 per person. I realize that scallops are not traditionally served with Pad Thai, but we both decided to give it a try. The Pad Thai was not very nice, being covered by a yucky, gloppy sweet sauce. There was no lime and no hot pepper flakes and only one cilantro leaf. Then we tasted the scallops. My son reluctantly swallowed his first one, but I spat mine out, something I have never done in a restaurant in my life. It was definitely bad. We scooted them to the side of the plate and told the waitress about it. She was a very nice Thai girl, but with very limited understanding of English. She obviously wasn't sure what to do about it. She said she would speak to her manager. My husband finished his meal, and my son and I picked at our Pad Thai, but left most of it uneaten. We asked for the bill, and the waitress went over to speak to the manager. This was a young guy who was playing on his laptop at the bar at the front of the restaurant. Although he was sitting about eight feet away from our table, he did not come over and apologize. In fact, he didn't even look in our direction. When the waitress presented us with the bill, she said that the manager had taken $5 off for the bad scallops, even though they had been $5 per person. We had eaten very little of the food and none of the scallops. My husband said he would not pay for the scallops. The poor girl went back to her manager at the bar. He looked really annoyed that he was being interrupted while he was playing with the laptop. He still never made eye contact with us, but apparently told the waitress that she could take the full cost of the scallops off. We left there disgusted with the place. I can only assume that the manager must be the ner-do-well son of the owner, because no one in their right mind would hire a jerk like that to manage their business.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

alabama
“great food-fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

dallas friends treated us to dinner here. Great ultimate cosmopolitan and wonderful fried pad thai! Can't wait to go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere