“I'd always heard the FW Zoo was better; I beg to differ!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 115 Attractions in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest zoological experience in Texas, the 106-acre Dallas Zoo offers fun, educational and entertaining experiences for the whole family. The Zoo's mission is to inspire a passion for nature and conserve wildlife, and guests can see a number of endangered species and learn about a variety of conservation projects the Dallas Zoo supports. Opened in 2010, our award-winning Giants of the Savanna habitat is internationally known. The savanna features elephants, ostrich, zebras, impalas, giraffes, and guineafowl, often mingling together. The Dallas Zoo is home to a herd of five female elephants and 11 giraffes, which guests can feed by hand. Guests will see the fastest land mammal on Earth, the cheetah, as well as African lions who often spend their days sleeping just inches away from the viewing wall inside the Serengeti Grill restaurant. The Wilds of Africa area features rare animals such as gorillas, chimpanzees and okapi. Guests will enjoy getting eye-to-eye with African penguins as they swim effortlessly underwater. Highlights of the ZooNorth section include the Lacerte Family Children's Zoo, a top-rated reptile and amphibian complex featuring albino alligators, and the Koala Walkabout, featuring the only koalas in Texas, red kangaroo, wallabies, and a lorikeet feeding area for up-close adventures. For alternative transportation to the Dallas Zoo, consider the DART Red Line, which delivers guests to the Zoo's front entrance.
Plano, Texas
“I'd always heard the FW Zoo was better; I beg to differ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

I had very low expectations going into this day trip, but we we're about about to drive an extra 30 min. to FW (we live in Plano) with a 14-month-old girl. So glad we chose the Dallas Zoo! It has an amazing African plains area with wide-open spaces for huge elephants and giraffes. I was even more surprised to see a few young ones playing in the exhibits. The tiger habitat on the other side of the zoo was a nice as any I've seen, which includes the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park, Disney Animal Kingdom the Singapore Zoo and Night Safari, Bronx Zoo, Audubon Zoo in New Orleans, Houston Zoo, and several others in cities across America. In fact, I'd put the elephant and giraffe exhibits ahead of those I've seen at the other zoos. The monorail was great too!

Visited August 2011

• Finnish first
Dallas, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“Could have been better but it was a holiday.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Got to the zoo about 2pm. The parking was pretty close to the entrance although was 7.00. Our first stop was lunch where you can view the lions. The lions were not lively, they laid their most of the time..The line for lunch was 30 min. Ordered cheeseburger and fries for me and my daughter. It was a built your own burger place, but there was no lettuce or tomato. The food was average. price was about 7.00 also. Then off to the monorail, the wait was 45 min so we skipped it. Walked around the zoo, which is pretty small, the animals are not very lively, if you want to see better animals go to fort worth zoo, The dallas zoo is small and has great picture opportunities, camel rides, carasell.

Visited September 2011
“Lions out of service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011 via mobile

Dallas Zoo..very nice. Go during the week like Monday or Tuesday not many people easy to get around and no pressure of people on your back as you look at the animals..monirail save your money not worth it..lions not in service not sure where they were but u don't have a good zoo if u don't have lions tigers bears ooh my...Gonzo the Grey out

Toledo, Oh
9 attraction reviews
“Even temperatures in the 100's didn't keep us away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had a wonderful experience at the Dallas Zoo in July. Yes, it was hot, but shaded areas and misting zones helped make the walk tolerable. The animals were feeling the heat and weren't as lively as they could have been but it was over 100 degrees and July in Texas. I enjoyed seeing my first anteater up close and the rhino was milling about not too upset about the temperatures. It was not crowded, easy to park and easy to get around. We enjoyed the monorail and the flamingos. I look forward to a return visit, maybe in the spring or fall.

Visited July 2011
Houston, Texas
6 attraction reviews
“Definitely worth the visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I read many reviews, some good, some bad. I live in Houston and our zoo cannot compare to the Dallas zoo. The train ride that they charge $3 each for is worth it. You will see some animals that cannot be seen from walking the zoo. It's easy to get to. Go, you will not be dissappointed unless if you are from San Diego, I've heard they have a beautiful zoo. You have to see the newly redone Aftrican section. I am posting some pics that we took in the restaurant with lions lying right on the other side of the glass, really cool. They will sell you giraffe food, which consist of 5 leaves of lettuce for $5, we passed on that. We took our 9 and 15 yr girls and they loved it also. I'll have to resize the pics so they can be posted.

Visited June 2011

Been to Dallas Zoo? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Dallas Zoo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.