“A must see in Dallas, if you are into culture & history.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dallas Museum of Art

Dallas Museum of Art
1717 North Harwood, Dallas, TX 75201 (Downtown Dallas)
214-922-1200
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 304 things to do in Dallas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1903, this prestigious art venue features a wide selection of art exhibits, from Ancient Mediterranean to Contemporary Art and Design.
Madison, Mississippi
12 attraction reviews
“A must see in Dallas, if you are into culture & history.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I loved the museum. I covered about 75% in 2.25 hours due to rushing to make it to another engagement. You really need about 4 hours to digest it all. I was impressed with the African and Asian section. I also liked the furniture on display from a former Louisana plantation on another floor. The plates and other dishes on another floor were nice to look at too. They had a few pieces of art from famous Impressionists era artists such as Renoir and Monet. They had an arts and crafts section on the first floor for kids. The museum was free! You only had to pay to see special exhibits.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“Free art museum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I'm a bit of a museum snob (both history and art) but you really can't complain much if the museum is free and allows you to walk around and see some Rodin, O'Keeffe, Mondrian, Monet, Manet and a Van Gogh. The one negative experience we had was a group of like 25 year olds (we're in our late 20s) yelling, laughing way to loud and narrating a painting...we both looked at each other and were like didn't you learn that a museum is an indoor voice space in elementary school (we're a cynical Pittsburgh-New York duo). And the main reason I was annoyed was no museum staff told them to shut up.

Jasper, Georgia
25 attraction reviews
“Great place to visit with a child”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I visited the museum with my grandson. We didn't have alot of time but spent most of it making our own art project in the children's area and then attending a class for families where they talked about art and then allowed you to again make your own art project. It was a wonderful afternoon with my grandson. We really enjoyed the time together and being creative. I didn't see much of the art on display, but that will be for our next trip. It was also a real treat that the museum is free.

Grapevine, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“What a treat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Lets start with "It was free" Took both my teenagers here against their will. After 2 hours and only seeing a small portion of the exhibits I was dragging back towards the exit so we could go home and eat. They have a really varied collection and it was interesting to see what drew my children in to certain areas. Gold was a big attention getter. Everything from paintings, old European masters to current European, American and Asian, sculptures, metalwork(jewelery) and even furniture. One section even had a collection from a house with items displayed in a residential setting. Staff was gracious and even helped my daughter figure out how to turn the flash off on her camera. Will go back to finish and see what new things they bring in.

Needham
28 attraction reviews
“Nice way to spend the afternoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Place does not open until 11am, but is free to the public. Beautiful building with 4 floors offering something for everyone. Outdoor sculpture garden. Center for Creative Connections is great for kids. Cafe on site as well

Visited March 2013

Been to Dallas Museum of Art? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Dallas Museum of Art, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.