“Worth the trip but a mixed bag” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Slow Bone

The Slow Bone
2234 Irving Blvd, Dallas, TX 75207 (Formerly BW's BBQ) (West Dallas)
214-377-7727
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 3,104 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Barbecue
Neighborhood: West Dallas
Neighborhood: West Dallas
Texas
“Worth the trip but a mixed bag”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Boots here again, back and as obnoxious likely as ever. So, Friday I rolled into Slow Bone first time for a visit (also hit Babb's again that day for the 4th time, see that review) and to get acquainted. Jack the owner and head pitman was in residence, and happy to jawbone with the customers, and his crew was a happy bunch. Think it was Jack's wife working the register, everyone very pleasant and happy to see you walk through the door. Nice place is a redeveloping area practically at the foot of the new arch bridge going up across the Trinity (not the Margaret Hunt Bridge, new Bridge No. 2 to the north that the City of Dallas is spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars on). A real coup for Jack, he has a real vintage Indian racing bike hanging from the ceiling, and the place is well laid out. Liked it.

Ordered up a rack plus brisket plus sausage for my trial run, and to take back to my crew at the office for appreciation of all the hard work they do for the firm. Here's my evaluation:

1) Ribs: Very nicely done, fall of the bone tender, bit of a fattier rack than I like, but tender and juicy. Flavor telling me the seasoning is just salt and pepper likely, Central Texas market style, and as for wood...I forgot to ask Jack, but I don't think it's all hickory. Flavor is not on the sweet side...I am guessing maybe oak in there, but could be wrong. Ribs were good, would do them again.

2) Brisket: Pretty good but did not rock. Sitting on the board, it's gorgeous, great lookin black bark beauty. Sliced up, though, not really as tender as I like (just my personal preference) and a very little bit on the dry side; not that I eat flat, not cap, so I am kinda picky that way. Not knocking it, it was pretty good, but is not up there with Justin's at Pecan Lodge, who still rules the roost on brisket around here.

3) Sausage: Sausage was different. Good, with a flavor profile like central Texas German with peppery hits, but texture wise pretty juicy and soft more like Polish style kielbasa. Again, just my personal preference, but I like a harder sausage more on the German style side, just me. But it was pretty good, I'd eat it again.

4) Sauce: Sauce was fairly good but here I liked it least of the items. There is a mustard base in there and some sweetness, apple juice I think, and the texture is very liquid. Designed to go with the ribs, they really don't dance too well together, just my humble opinion, too thin in body and the flavor was really mild and kind of bland. Whereas Babb's has a bottle sucking sauce that has this medium viscous, velvety texture with deep red ancho chili body to it, a little slow burn, and a very assertive taste, Slow Bone's is would probably work better simplly as a late mop for ribs in the cooker than as a sauce, if you wanted to use a wet Carolinas method.

Overall Rating: Boots gives this his "I'd eat that again, but won't necessarily have cravings for the stuff." Really liked the place, and you will definitely enjoy visiting with Jack, and this place will likely do well and be in the top echelon in Dallas area, but I can't just say it rocked me to the core like Justin's brisket, or Mike Babb's ribs on some days and his sauce every day. Just being honest. Good luck to Jack and wishing his crew much success, I will be back and bring friends; one visit does not a legend make, and barbecue places tend to mature over time too.

Be well, eat well, and help out your neighbor now and again. I am Boots, and I approved this message.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Pembroke Pines, Florida
“Home bbq at its very best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Looks, like a hole in the wall. Smells heavenly and then there is the amazing food that is bar none some of the best BBQ I've ever tasted. Within a 5 minute walk from the Hilton Anatole, this place is great, fast, tasty and absolutely worth the money. I recommend the home style sausage and chopped brisket sandwich. Top pick In the Dallas area.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hurst, Texas, United States
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Ever since I heard the owner of Maple & Motor was opening a Bar B Q joint I have waiting for it to open. Everyone in our group had the big bone sandwhich. Mine was the cilantro sausage. My wife had the jalapeño bratwurst. The others had brisket. All three of the meats where amazing. Then the sides oh man I could just have them. The scallop potatoes, Mac & cheese, & fried okra made the meal. I will definantly be going back real soon.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Great Brisket”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

This place has the greatest brisket, and some of the freshest sides I have ever tasted.

Visited April 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Good BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

The brisket was very tender. Sides were better than usual.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere