“why is it even a 5 star?” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1321 Commerce St., Dallas, TX 75202   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #29 of 189 Hotels in Dallas
oklahoma city
“why is it even a 5 star?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

where is the pool people??? i don't want to have to walk across the street to swim (and pay to get in) after paying $319 for my room and waaay to much for valet and parking. its flipping ridiculous!! get with the program !!! ROOOARRR!!

Stayed September 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

I can take bad news and I can take good news, but I can't take being lied to.

Front desk staff are clearly coached to tell their guests whatever they want to hear, true or not. A month before our trip to a family wedding I called and, after much discussion, was assured that our two rooms, reserved 4 months in advance, would accomodate our requirements...one room with a king bed and the other with two queen beds and a rollaway. Because of the time of the wedding, we were assured we could check in about an hour before the published check in time of 3:00.

The morning of the wedding, I again called and they assured me that both rooms, as ordered, would be available at 1:00.

We arrived at the hotel at 3:15 to find neither room was ready. After 15 or 20 minutes they did get us one room, but said that the rollaway would not be available for the second room, and they had no idea when the 2nd room would be ready. In a rush all 6 of us tried to iron clothes, shower and get ready for the wedding.

My advice to those of you unfortunate enough to be staying at the Adolphus....don't trust a word they say. They will tell you anything just to get you off the phone. When I travel to Costa Rica I expect that and find it a bit charming...I don't expect this in the U.S.

Stayed July 2006
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

The hotel is historic, but they have done a wonderful job at keeping up the original charm with it's beautiful furnishings and decor. The staff was always gracious and went out of their way to serve the guests, except at check-in that took nearly 30 minutes at 6:00pm. James, the concierge was fantastic - he worked hard to point us in the right direction for restaurants and other things and he never missed. The parking situation seems odd - you have to pay $20 nightly to park your car, but you can't self park, they only have valet parking, so with tip, parking is $23-25 nightly. The food was great and the catered food to the meeting rooms was awesome. Get the fried chicken! The rooms are large, but beware of the 'inside rooms' which look into another hotel. The windows of my room looked out into a court surrounded on 4 sides by other buildings, so my room had NO natural light. NONE! Would I stay here again, yes - but I would not if I had the same room.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
Darien, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

My fiancee and I stayed at the Adolphus on May 26th for 2 nights and it was a most wonderful experience. We had stayed there in 2003 and requested the exact same room we had at that time, a Junior Suite on the 19th floor. Our request was honored and we had a very pleasant surprise when we got to our room. It was completely redone...and in grand style. The bedding was top notch. Beautiful high thread count sheets, personalized with "A" on the shams. The bathroom was beautiful. Granite tops with iron work scrolled posts. The living room area had a beautiful armoire that held a nice size tv. There is another tv in a small cabinet in the bedroom area. The furnishings have an antique feel. The shower had a lovely rain shower fixture.

We had a very wonderful meal from room service at what we consider to be a very very reasonable price by our standards (New York standards). Our only problem is that the valet service is a bit slow. We called ahead to have our car pulled around and always had to tell them again when we got downstairs. The lobby is just beautiful and it is a step back in time for sure. Wish there was more to do in that part of Dallas, as much of that area is dead on the weekend, but all in all a wonderful experience. We will return again for sure.

• Stayed May 2006
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

I stayed at The Adolphus in April 2006 and had less than a favorable experience. Wanting to give it a second chance, I stayed again the following month. Both trips were for business purposes.

The two best things about The Adolphus are on the ground floor ... neither requiring a stay at the hotel: the lobby is beautiful, and The French Room provides a competent dining experience for the price (and was recently rated the #1 hotel restaurant in the US by Zagat).

On the other hand, a series of negative experiences over my two stays makes The Adolphus' claim to 5 star status highly suspect. These include a moldy cat urine smell in my room (which housekeeping never addressed, and a room transfer was not available), a transient in lobby, clearly hearing my upstairs neighbor walking around, the bellman insisting that I pay for a cab ride for what I later learned would be a 10 minute walk (but what he ensured me would take three times that long), and my room not being made up by housekeeping until 3pm or later. In addition, the staff is affable at their best, and curt at their more-common worst (with a bellman named Mitch being a welcome exception). Lastly, while The French Room prepares and serves great meals in a gorgeous setting, it is not comparable to the type of experience one would expect at a dedicated restaurant.

In short, The Adolphus operates as a 3 star hotel, with The French Room hovering around the 4 - 4.5 star level. Sadly, considering what other options exist in the area, The Adolphus is leaps and bounds above local competition, especially for the price.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2006

The service at the Adolphus is the best I have experienced in a hotel -- and I travel for business almost constantly. Every staff member is brimming with helpfulness and kindness. Even the maid who came to clean my room asked very sincerely how I was enjoying my stay and wanted to know if she could do anything for me.

The first time I stayed at the Adolphus I arrived after 11 p.m., exhausted after horrible flight delays, and I had to be in court the next day at 9 a.m. Seeing my travel frustration and exhaustion, the gentlemen at the front desk upgraded me to a suite. The hotel won my loyalty with that!

Always busy on the road, I often order room service. One thing I love about the Adolphus is that you can order it all night long. So that awful night that I got in after 11 p.m., after hours of flight delays, having eaten nothing (thank you airlines, for that!), I was able to order a sandwich from room service. This last trip I ordered the cilantro roasted chicken from room service for dinner and it was SO GOOD!

The beds are very comfortable, and my room was charmingly different in that old hotel kind of way. One caveat about this very old hotel, though. There is no way of saying this without sounding crazy, so I will just say it: I am pretty sure it is haunted. I will leave it at that, and say that even so, the service is so great I think I will always try to stay there while in Dallas.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Lancaster, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

Located right in downtown it is a very attractive hotel. There are 3 restaurants, one a rodeo bar on the lower level, the Bistro on the main level and the top rated French room. There is an afternoon tea that you need to register for. Drinks are served in the classy upper lobby by the piano, with jackets needed after 6 pm.

The rooms are very spacious, clean, and very nicely furnished. Beds and linens are above average. Only downsides in the room are 1 sink in the bathroom, and a small TV due to the furnishings.

Rodeo bar good place for a beer and throwing peanut shells on the floor. The Bistro is nicely done, food is nothing special, wine by the glass ran $12-13. Servers and service are good.

French Room gets rave reviews from many and while it is definitely upscale you probably won't leave feeling like you got what you paid for ($72.pp and up)

Hotel staff is excellent and really focused on customer service. Only met one bellhop (Brook?)who was not up to snuff. Guess he felt $1.25 per bag was not enough.

Over-all would certainly stay there again and would recommend.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Been to Adolphus Hotel? Share your experiences!