“Historic hotel with charm and elegance but rooms need updating” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1321 Commerce St., Dallas, TX 75202   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #27 of 189 Hotels in Dallas
Saint Paul, MN
“Historic hotel with charm and elegance but rooms need updating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I enjoyed staying at the Adolphus Hotel during a recent visit to Dallas to attend a show at the World Trade Center.

The hotel is located in the downtown neighborhood and just steps from Neiman Marcus, fun restaurants and other amenities. The hotel lobby is lovely with all the charm and elegance of a landmark hotel, with a great lobby bar and one of the best restaurants in Dallas - the French Room - and lobby staff that is charming and very attentive.

I wish I could give this hotel a 5 star rating, but the room I had did not warrant that rating I am sorry to say. The room was rather dated, although quite spacious. The bathroom was way below my expectations with very old fixtures (brass soap dish left soap discolored, taupe colored tub and toilet). The housekeeping was also below average as my tub really needed a good scrubbing and when I requested a working hair dryer it wasn't sent up until I asked the front desk a second time.

These are rather minor issues, I must confess. I would definitely stay at the Adolphus again. The live jazz combo in the bar on Saturday night was just great - as was the people watching!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Bridget,

We appreciate your kind compliments and valuable feedback. Your comments will help guide our improvements and staff instruction programs.

Your endorsement and high praise for The French Room are also appreciated.

Thank you for caring enough to share your insight.

We look forward to your return.

Best regards,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Adolphus Hotel on June 23 and June 24. We had a marvelous time with friends from Arkansas. The staff was courteous and the room was large and comfortable. The scam occurred several hours after we had checked in. We received a call on the room phone. An individual claiming to be calling from the front desk stated that the person who had checked us in had failed to gather all of the information from our credit card. He started to ask for specifics and I told him I would come down to the desk. He said he was at the desk and would have to run my card again and put a hold on it if I came down. I hung up and went down to the desk to inquire about it and the desk clerk, a woman, said no one had called from the desk. I spoke to security and they said it had happened before and they would write a report. The rest our stay was great and we had a wonderful time in Dallas. Just please be forewarned.
New Orleans couple

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Gregory,

We appreciate your very kind compliments and high praise for our staff.

Every hotel in the world is subjected to these and other scams. Thank you for reminding everyone to be on their guard in their travels.

It was a pleasure having you with us, and we are delighted that you had a wonderful time in Dallas.

Warmest regards,

Richardson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I decided to do just a small getaway weekend and decided to stay at The Adolphus based on pictures of the interior alone. Upon arriving we were blown away at how great it looked and the pictures didnt really do it justice. Everyone on staff we encountered were super friendly and knowledgeable. We were upgraded to a suite instead of the room we booked and it was wonderful. If I have to make a complaint it was that the bathroom lights were too dim, made it hard for my wife to get ready. Overall it was a great experience and we will definitely be coming back for weekends away.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Justin,

You are most kind to take the time to share your recent experience at The Adolphus. We are delighted that you found everything splendid and charming.

Your thoughtful suggestion will help guide future renovations and improvements. Listening to our guests - and responding to their needs - is our top priority.

We look forward to your return.

Thank you!

Best regards,

San Angelo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the Adolphus and had the guests for our daughters wedding stay there. From the moment we pulled our car into the drive we were treated like we were their most important guest. The man who took our car remembered our names each time we came. The service was superb. Each of our guests said the same thing. We had High Tea and the experience was absolutely wonderful. We had a wonderful experience and would definitely go back to this beautiful grand hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Our management and staff take great pleasure in creating the wonderful experiences you describe so beautifully.

Thank you for highlighting the true Adolphus and its many sparkling facets.

We look forward to your next visit - and creating more happy memories for you and your family.

With warmest regards,

Mount Barker, South Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the adolpus and were very impressed with the hotel. A beautiful old building which has been lovingly maintained. We had a fantastic suite that gave us plenty of room with a luxurious bathroom. Very reasonably priced.We would defiantly stay here again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rachael,

Your kind review is a joy to read.

Thank you for your high praise and recommendation!

Cordially,

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My sister got married on June 14, 2013 and had her reception at the hotel. We also had a block of rooms for out of town guests. My sister requested a roll away and crib to be put in her room upon arrival. They assured her that it would be there. It was not. She called the front desk to have these things brought up to the room, and these items never came. After an hour of waiting, she had to go downstairs and request it again. Another family member checked in hours after the room was supposed to be ready and he walked into a dirty room. Valet parking was a nightmare and took 20 minutes to get the car. So other than the service, The rooms were beautiful! No complaints there. It is definitely a beautiful hotel! It was just a disappointment in the customer service part.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments, in spite of the flawed service that you experienced. You can be certain that our senior management followed up on these matters and resolved them. Guests rely on superior customer service, and we strive every day to provide it.

We appreciate your feedback.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Whether the hotel is understaffed or the service is just poor boils down to the same thing-negative impact to the customer.

We arrived Sunday, June 23, for a 2 day stay. The hotel was easy to find and it is located near restaurants and shops. This is a historic hotel, so we were very excited.

As we pull up, valet opens the door and graciously answers all questions. There is no self park option, it costs $28/day!!!, it includes in/out privaleges, there is no pro-rating (we arrived at close to 9 pm). We were given a ticket and told to call a number to get our car. When we did no one answered and it went to voicemail. Good thing I was not in a hurry. So I went downstairs. The valet and parking manager were there and directed me to wait outside. I did but no one was around and it was 90+ degrees. I went back inside, and the two were standing around joking. I approached and asked when someone would be there? The valet took my ticket to follow up. Why didn't he do that before?!

We approached front desk, and the woman behind the desk could not have been less accomodating or upbeat. I noticed that they had rewards programs that matched mine and asked if I could give her mine. She did not research, but just said no. She then gave me our keys and she was done. I asked if there was a minibar because she gave us a special key. She said yes but that it was 'probably' empty. Probably? It was empty. I also asked to confirm the valet costs. Yes $28/day. I asked if there was a self park option. She said that she 'thought' there was a garage 'nearby' but could not tell me how much. Nearby? Don't know how much? How long has she worked here?!

The room was freezing at 55 degrees with the fan blowing non stop. Who sets the thermostat to 55?!! We raised the temp but could not get the fan to stop. We called the front desk and was assured someone would be right up. 20 min later, no one. I called back and was on hold or rerouted for 15 minutes. No apology or excuse. No one ever came, so it was a noisy night.

Lastly, you have to pay for internet access, which seems outdated. The rooms are AVERAGE. We are in room 725 and there is absolutely zero view. Actually all the rooms around us on our side all face this silo courtyard. Just ugly.

Bottom line: the hotel is riding on the 'historic' coattails at the cost of efficient and friendly staff. I would not recommend this hotel to others. When you add the room costs, with taxes, you're at $106/night PLUS $28/day for parking (not sure if there are taxes on that), you are at $134+ night.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies for your unpleasant experience.

What you describe is completely out of character of our staff and unacceptable by any standard of hospitality. Rest assured, our management team is addressing all of your complaints, one by one.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Very sincerely,

David

Been to Adolphus Hotel? Share your experiences!