“Wedding weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
McKinney, Texas
“Wedding weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Last summer my son's wedding weekend was spent at the Adolfus. What a great weekend! The rooms were fabulous -- so spacious and well-appointed. The location was perfect - we hosted the rehearsal dinner right around the corner at the Iron Cactus. The wedding reception was at the Hall of State at Fair Park, and it was an easy 10-minute ride back to the hotel.

We've lived in Dallas for twenty years, and other than a quick walk through the lobby, had not been to the Adolfus. I'm so glad we were able to spend such an important weekend in the life of our family there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

How kind of you to remember us!

Thank you for sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor travelers. I know they appreciate your recommendation.

We hope you return soon to relive your happy memories of The Adolphus.

Best,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my first stay at the Adolphus. We were attending a wedding in downtown Dallas so the location was excellent. The room was beautiful. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had two issues, the first was minor: our room phone was cordless and dead as could be. We had to use our cell phones to call within the hotel. And while my experience wasn't quite as bad as DaveRTL's, there is a problem with water temperature in the rooms. We wanted to chill a bottle of wine, and after finding there are no ice machines on the floors we had it delivered by room service. (Ice is free but you feel obligated to tip, so more $$$). Wanted to add some water to the ice bucket to speed the chill, but the "cold" water was so warm it melted the ice. Front desk sent maintenance up to the room, and they measured the cold water temp @ 83.5 degrees, which met their standards. Not a huge problem, but you would hope such a lovely hotel could provide cold water. Slept great, no problem with the shower temp. Did not eat from room service. Front desk removed the cost of our valet parking ($28) to compensate for the issues we had. Overall a positive experience, and we would return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your recommending The Adolphus, in spite of our flaws.

Our engineering staff are diligently working on reducing the water temperature. The water comes from a city water source, and, as you can imagine, it is a challenge to keep it cool in the hot Texas summers.

Thank you for tipping the wait staff for delivering the ice. It is certainly not required, but we are grateful for your generosity.

All of us look forward to your return.

Warmest regards,

Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel and it is a perfect location for my travel needs. I stay there often but am thinking of moving on because the room service food borders on inedible. Very limited menu. The food is similar to what is served in the Rodeo Bar downstairs. The limited choices wouldn't bother me if what they had was decent. When traveling for business I sometimes want dinner in the room. At my last visit, playing it safe, I ordered a burger. It was like eating a dry hockey puck. Similar experience to the other times I ordered in room dining here

There is no place to fill an ice bucket unless you call room service. I can see not having an ice machine on every floor but there should be a few scattered around.

I would agree with several other reviewers in that the water just does not get cold enough in the bathroom (hence why it would be nice to have a place to get ice to put in a glass of water).

I understand this is an old hotel and can overlook things they might not be able to control like the water temperatures but the food quality and other issues within their control should be addressed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments and your insight.

We appreciate knowing where we fell short of the mark. You can be sure that these issues will be addressed, posthaste. They are all within our control, and we apologize that we disappointed you.

Our management and staff hope you will give us another chance to shine.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Good location and beautiful room. Took a while to find a light switch. Nearly tripped over stand strangely blocking portion of bathroom doorway. The burning issue was something I've never experienced in decades of business travel: shower water that offered 3 options: too hot, way too hot, and scalding. After trying every combination I could, I filled the tub with too hot water and waited for it to cool down enough to safely clean up before a series of business meetings. After calling the front desk, a maintenance guy later called and said that he tried the room next door and it was fine. Unfortunately, I wasn't staying in the room next door!

When I went to the front desk to ask how to leave feedback, I was told "Trip Advisor". Being a little surprised the desk attendant didn't have enough curiosity to inquire what my concern was, I elected to try the Adolphus website to leave something private for the hotel manager but couldn't find a place for feedback.

Hopefully this was a really rare occurrence for the Adolphus to offer only dangerously hot water. The staff indifference should concern the management there at least as much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Dave,

We appreciate your compliments and thoughtful feedback. Your insight is very helpful.

Our engineering team checked the water temperature after your stay and found it to be within the acceptable range. Preventive maintenance crews are monitoring mixing values in all guest rooms to ensure that what you described does not occur. We take the comfort and safety of our guests very seriously and will take every measure necessary to create a first-class experience.

Thank you for review.

Kind regards,

Nashville, Tennessee, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I usually opt for more modern, sleek hotels, but the historic Adolphus drew me in. The main complaint I have about this place is that the suite we stayed in was really outdated. That said, I heard they're remodeling this summer. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Our floor, the 21st, smelled like a sewer. We never could figure out what that was. The room was really big and we had a nice view of Reunion Tower. The minibar prices were some of the cheapest I've seen, i.e. A canned soda was $3 as opposed to the typical $5-$8 that I am used to seeing. The public areas of the hotel are stunning. The French Room is gorgeous, though I did not eat there, only looked. We used the sedan service a few times. I think it's awesome that they offer that. A lot of the clientele here are of the "old money" crowd. We're a young, casual family and kind of felt out of place amongst the other guests. The hotel staff didn't treat us any differently though. Good job, Adolphus. I was in Dallas for a convention, and don't know if I'll ever be back there. If I am, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Lauren,

Thank you for your kind words and terrific feedback. We appreciate it so much.

All of us look forward to your return.

Cordially,

Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed at the Adolphus during the ASTD International Conference and Exposition in May 2013. Great staff! Great service! Amazing historic architecture! Good value. Many food choices in walking distance, as well as great food at the Adolphus.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for their advice on room choice based on what you need ... Quiet and out of the w...