“Nice, probably not worth the price” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1321 Commerce St., Dallas, TX 75202   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #30 of 190 Hotels in Dallas
Kansas City
“Nice, probably not worth the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

On the surface this hotel is beautiful, even if slightly dated. The lobby and main floor are especially nice, and seem to decline slightly from there. My room was very large, and nicely decorated, but there were a few problems. My room had a bath with shower and a stand alone shower, which did not work. The shower in the bath was nice. The bed and linens were great, but the TV was small, and in a strange location in the room, so it could hardly be seen from the bed. The drawers in the bureau were broken and ill fitting. The hotel provided a robe that was nice, and the toiletries were great. The hotel is right downtown, so very convenient for business, but not alot of night life in this part of town. Even most restaurants are closed for dinner, so without a cab or car you will be hoofing it quite a ways to eat anywhere but at the hotel.

• Liked — The photos and history in the lobby.
  • Disliked — Lack of anything close to do.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

My best friend and I had a great time at this hotel. We happened on it for 4th of July weekend. We were told this was their slowest holdiay so they tend to really lower their prices! We decided to stay an additional night. This is a 5 star hotel and we had a junior suite w/
double bed room with a view for $99 per night.

We splurged on room service which is wheeled in on a white linen table. I highly recommend the cornflake french toast! Because of the money we saved on the room, we ordered room service several times and enjoyed the hospitality of the staff a great deal.

The room is so elegant and the bathrooms are beautiful. Our bathroom was marble and had speakers so you could hear the tv or music channel depending on what you chose. We also relaxed by watching a movie in the room and wandering through the interesting halls of the hotel. The halls zig-zag.

• Liked — Room service
  • Disliked — Not much to do within walking distance
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Spokane, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

I've stayed in many 'historic' hotels throughout the world. "Historic" at most just means "old." At the Adolphus, it was a clean, restored, updated with modern amenities where necessary, and a great hotel.

I had a red-eye flight into Dallas. I'd called two days before to see if I could check in early. A room was ready for me at 7:00 a.m. (without charge.) It was clean. Room service was fine (and seemed reasonably priced..)

I'm a business traveler so I measure things by clean, fast internet, thick towels, good bed, and warm water. They passed on all. They shower head was adjustable and was actually unique. It sprayed directly down on top of you.

I'd stay there again.

• Liked — The lobby, bar, and conference rooms.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Moore, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

Staying at the Adolphus was amazing. The staff was so helpful and the room was magnificent. I will never be able to stay at another hotel and be happy. The Adolphus has spoiled me.

• Liked — The room and the service
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

This is a wonderfully old and elegant hotel in a good location if you do business in downtown Dallas. The staff are very friendly but there were some problems...It is also close to DART and some fine restaurants. We had dinner at Charlie Palmer which is very fine dining but a bit overpriced. The rooms are spacious and clean and I had no problems with noise. Unfortunately one of the bell captains gave my bag to another guest. Fortunately the other guest realized the mistake and returned it later that day. I checked the bag with a bell captain after checking out of my room in the morning. Upon returning in the afternoon to retrieve my bag it was discovered that the bag was missing. It seemed as if nobody on staff could determine why it was missing or give me an answer as to how the problem would be resolved. Everyone was scratching their heads. Finally, security was called and I gave him my contact info but he was unable or unwilling to tell me exactly what the hotel policy and procedures were in handling missing/stolen property. This attitude was similar from the manager on duty. I was upset not just because of the contents of my bag being lost but also the luggage itself which is a new $600 Tumi bag and no one at the hotel said to me: "Sir, we are going to find your bag and if we don't we will reimburse you for the loss of property." That's just common sense and good business. SO - if you don't have this kind of problem, then The Adolphus is a great hotel.

• Liked — Location, large, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Staff were unclear about policy regarding lost/stolen property.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2008

This is the most overrated hotel I've ever had the displeasure of staying in. We booked a suite the night of our wedding (thank god it wasn't a honeymoon situation yet, and thank god we didn't get there until late in the evening). Here's the breakdown of the major suckage;
1 - one of the phones in the room didn't work
2 - the carpet was coming up in several places
3 - the wallpaper was peeling noticably, and there was a hole in the wall in the bathroom, about the size of a fist. Nice..
4 - the toilet was old and goofy. Not sure why, but it was goofy.
5 - the tv internet didn't work. Wireless keyboard and mouse worked. but not the service, so it kinda defeated the purpose..
6 - we called house keeping to ask for a toothbrush kit. They said they would send it right up. It never came.
7 - national cheerleader convention.. munchkins everywhere. noisy munchkins all over a hotel that sells itself on elegance and sophistication and history. Total nonsense.

My advice.. Skip this joke of a hotel unless you get a 2-star price, and bring your 2-star expectations.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

I had the pleasure of staying at the Adolphus for a work conference February 3-6. I could not have been more satisfied with this hotel -- the staff was accomodating and so pleasant, the room was spacious and well-appointed, the bed slept like a dream, and the bathroom was quite large, with both a tub/shower combination and a stand-alone shower.

The decor is beautiful; I enjoyed walking around the hotel, viewing the artwork, the notes and letters in a display case authored by previous guests, and reading of the history of the hotel.

During our conference we had breakfasts and lunches provided by the hotel, and the food was so far above-par ... especially the Tres Leches dessert cakes.

We also rented a suite on Sunday, which had a full-sized kitchen, pool table, large patio, and big screen flat panel television, to host a SuperBowl party for our group. Wonderful.

We also dined as a group at The French Room, an equally wonderfully satisfying dining experience.

Because we were a group, our meeting planner was able to negotiate a very reasonable rate.

I can't rate this hotel highly enough.

Stayed February 2008

Been to Adolphus Hotel? Share your experiences!