“Great place to stay in Dallas” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1321 Commerce St., Dallas, TX 75202   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #30 of 190 Hotels in Dallas
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
“Great place to stay in Dallas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

What a fun experiece to stay in Dallas at the Adolphus, if you enjoy feeling like royalty! I wanted to take the entire staff home with me. It is in walking distance of most activities in Dallas, or if you don't feel like walking a private town car will take you there and pick you up! Room service is the best! Your own private table with fresh flowers! Since it is an older hotel, you may need to turn the air conditioning to a lower than expected level, but it is a great experience. If you go, make sure to make reservations in advance for the Downton Abbey Dinner. It was full on
Saturday and not open on Sunday! I hated that I missed that part of the experience.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Kathie,

You are most kind, and we appreciate the high praise.

Our management and staff strive to provide that Downton Abbey experience for every guest, as you learned firsthand.

We look forward to your next visit, when we hope you can enjoy The French Room at The Adolphus, too.

Warmest regards,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Orange Co. CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Really nice hotel, excellent staff and a nice change of pace from your HIltons and Marriotts. Stayed here for a conference for 3 days. I was pleasantly surprised with a corner room which was very roomy - although my colleagues also mentioned that their rooms on various floors were also larger than expected. It was hot and humid during our stay, but the AC worked well and the thermostat allowed me to crank it down to positively chilly :)....some hotels lock it so you can't go below a certain temp - which usually means I'm uncomfortably warm for the duration.

Lobby lounge is nice and usually active, as is the bar downstairs, Rodeo. If you're coming, and you know well enough in advance, highly suggest you make reservations at The French Room restaurant here on the premises. Its the #1 rated restaurant in all of Dallas!! It is booked out well in advance, however, so the sooner the better to get on those reservations.

I had just a shower stall, which I prefer, and the rainfall shower head + good water pressure = a pleasant shower! Bed was comfortable, pillows were all down. No complaints, all praise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Our management and staff are delighted that you were impressed with the accommodations and services.

Thank you for mentioning The French Room, too. It is truly an extraordinary experience.

We hope you return soon!

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at the Adolphus Hotel. They treated us like a king and queen. From the valet service to our beautiful room. When we returned for the evening our bed had been turned down and a delightful plate of chocolate strawberries and crackers left to set the mood.

• Stayed May 2013
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

How kind of you to share your recent experience at The Adolphus.

Our staff wants everyone to feel like royalty, and they are delighted that you left with such happy memories.

All of us look forward to your return.

Warmest regards,

Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Adolphus was a bit different from the majority of places where I have stayed for business in the US. As a European, I find US business focussed hotels mostly very similar - if you asked me to name the hotels I stayed in a couple of years in the US, I probably couldn't tell you without some prompting.

However the Adolphus is memorable - partly because it has acquired some quirkiness over its long history, and the building has not been totally gutted. The bar area is lovely - real old school stuff with dark wood, leather furniture and a luxurious feel. Clearly it was the original reception area some time ago.

I didn't really see the staff much, but they seemed pleasant enough on the front desk, and around the hotel entrance.

The beds are comfortable, but really the bedroom I had did look "tired". Not messy or broken, just worn around the edges. The bathroom spec is probably some way below a more modern hotel, but it didn't bother me. The lack of double glazing onto Main Street was more of a problem - it was a bit drafty and noisy as a result. However the noise was not a major problem.

I would recommend it as a place to stay in central Dallas...and it will be even better if they spend some time and money refurbishing the beadrooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your international perspective and your kind words about The Adolphus.

Your points are well taken, and you can be sure that we will be addressing these shortcomings in future renovations.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are most grateful for your business.

With kindest regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

At 3am I woke up thirsty and realized that only scalding water was coming from all the water stickers. Shower and sink. I didn't dip my hand in the toilet to check that. I left watee running and it got hotter. They sent maintenance and he did something then flushed the toilet a few times and the cold water returned. Then 2 hours later I woke up sweaty. The AC was set at 57F but I was still sweating. The maint guy came up again and took the filter out and offered to get a thermometer. The air coming out of the AC actually feels cool for a few minutes and then goes back to plain air. (i had it set to 44F at this point and on High) but the room was still not cool. The maint guy confessed that the angle of the blower was 'a bad angle'. Great. Bye bye all of my sleep for the night.

I will never stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dave,

We are reviewing the engineering logs to determine which guestroom you stayed in. The maintenance engineer was incorrect and was not following our protocol. The angle of a blower would obviously not affect the coldness of the air. A properly working air-conditioning unit will quickly cool any size guestroom, including our very large luxury suites.

Please accept our apologies for this blunder. The air-conditioning unit should have been repaired immediately to your complete satisfaction, or we should have offered to move you to another guestroom (with a complimentary upgrade).

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Very sincerely,

Huntsville, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed one night on the supposedly haunted 19th floor. No weird sounds or feelings, just a comfortable but somewhat worn room. The bed was soft and comfortable and the room large. A single window faced the inner courtyard, so there was no view. There appeared to be very view other guests, which may limited number of staff. The only "luxury" came with the prices: parking was valet only and $28/night and wireless almost $11/day. The location is good, and I loved the historical aspects, but I don't think I'd choose to return.

Room Tip: The 19th floor is supposedly haunted.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Mr. McTier,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. Please accept our apologies for disappointing you in the way you describe.

As mentioned elsewhere, The Adolphus is not and has never been haunted.

Kind regards,

Waco, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for Mothers Day. It was reccomended we take their car to a nice breakfast place. They dropped us off after waiting 20 mins for the car to take us, which was sort of ok. Then the problem occured. We waited 45 mins for them to pick us up. We called 2xs and each time they said they were on the way. '"Around the corner" each time. After 45 minutes of standing outside in the sun we took a taxi. As we were on our way back, I called them again and could not believe what they said. "Oh, are you still there, do you still need us to come." Needless to say we were furious and it was an extremely upsetting experience to be just left there. At my insistance i had them paid the taxi. Later they compted part of room but it was too late. It dampened the weekend. We will not stay there again. We will go to Cresant or Ritz. Otherwise everything was very nice. The French room meal was sublime. The food incredible, the staff fabulous. We will return to French Room "Best in Texas"" As for the rooms, we upgraded to suite for 35$ and got a very nice room. Beds great and nice sitting area. Very clean. Only complaint is it is a little dark. Unfortunate that they left us.
Deb and John Speckmiear
Waco, Texas

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments about The French Room at The Adolphus.

Again, please accept our apologies for the poor car service.

We understand why you will be staying elsewhere. Maybe, in time, you can forgive us.

David

Been to Adolphus Hotel? Share your experiences!