“Creepy yet Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 188 Hotels in Dallas
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
“Creepy yet Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We knew the hotel was "haunted" so we stayed on the 19th floor in room 13. The room was so spacious and tall. The lighting was a little dank but we thought the view was actually cool in an eerie kind of way. The beds were very comfortable and the furniture didn't really have that vintage smell, good. But, haha, there was a used condom behind the door to the maintenance elevator. Overall it was a wonderful choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Princess,

Your kind compliments are appreciated.

Alas, The Adolphus is not haunted - only the spirit of hospitality resides within its mahogany paneled walls.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Best,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

To be fair, I should have done my homework. I booked this room for us to stay one Friday night after going to a show in town. My plan was to go to the cool little bar on the mezzanine next to the famous French Room restaurant. A little night life before retiring. Some things didn't work out.
The Good: Check-in was easy and we found an updated spacious king room. Historic beautifully furnished and decorated lobby/mezzanine and king room. Good quality food from prompt room service. Little casual Texas BBQ diner open late.
The Bad: The new bar in the mezzanine was closed at 11 PM on a Friday night, but is open late on Saturday when it's more crowded. The cool old bar that was open the last time I visited was closed permanently. The was no fridge as advertised, but there was the standard coffee maker. Wireless internet available but it's $10.95 to connect. $28 valet parking only.
The Ugly: Half of my room service breakfast landed on the floor when the side of the service table collapsed. It wasn't locked properly, but the front desk more than halved my bill. Less ugly. It could happen anywhere

Take away message: (This is a reminder for me, mostly) Do your homework. Don't assume that things are the way they were the last time you were there or that things are the same as other hotels. Most of the more modern hotels, for example, have free internet. You can get the fridge stocked if you want it, but you may have to request a fridge if there isn't one.

Last note: The French Room has a reputation for being one of the best restaurants in Dallas. We plan to have dinner there soon.

Room Tip: There is a large penthouse suite at the top with a fair view of the city. I think the hotel is about...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

We appreciate your insight and your compliments.

You will thoroughly enjoy The French Room!

Warmest regards,

San Ramon, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel is beautiful both inside and outside, but the staff is terribly below standard. I was staying in Dallas for two months, most of which were next door. The last two weeks my coworkers and I had to stay at the Adolphus which left us begging to go back to the other hotel.

For such an "upscale" hotel, the Adolphus' staff needs to be replaced. As I said, I was part of a large corporate group (~40) which was told that we were going to get the same amenities as next door. Instead of buffet breakfast, I was given a letter for $10 off a continental breakfast (I saw later that the letter was for another large group). Others were given tickets for $10 off a continental breakfast, yet the staff did not know how to handle the tickets. We were told we could use them in the bistro, but the tickets were written for the "grab & go" breakfast at the bar. I also had one server confront me on two occasions, once for questioning the breakfast ticket and another time giving me attitude for asking to see the menu again to verify my breakfast price.

The room was very large and fairly clean. The decor and furniture are old and some in need of repair. I found an old bag of gummy bears in a drawer in my desk. The rain shower head is nice, but the shower is quite small (and I am a petite person). My room was not cleaned the first two days and when I went to the front desk, the staff person said with an attitude that she will have my account noted that I want the room cleaned every day. This is after she verified that there is no special rule that states long term guests will have their room cleaned every 2nd or 3rd day. So maybe the rule is that they don't clean every day period? I've seen other reviews in which the manager has made the excuse that there are too many rooms to clean in a day. Maybe the hotel should hire more people.

One morning, I was asked by some of my coworkers if I enjoyed the fire drill. I was thinking they were joking, but apparently the fire alarm went off in one part of the building and everyone had to evacuate. I am not sure why it didn't go off in the rest of the hotel, but I did not feel safe staying there.

After my stay, I was only charged for the sub-total on the first page of my bill. All of these little things that were not caught by the staff tells me they need more training. The only reason why I am giving them 3 stars instead of 2 is because after the breakfast fiasco, I was not charged for any of the breakfasts that were above and beyond the $10 coupon. Even then, I think I am being generous.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments, in spite of our flaws.

We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay in the way you describe. Rest assured, our senior management team has reviewed your comments and taken steps to ensure that this experience is not repeated. Period.

As mentioned elsewhere, the hotel will soon undergo a major renovation that will address all areas of the hotel. Your comments will help guide their refurbishments.

Kind regards,

muleshoe,tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Let me say that I love boutique,charming, nostalgic hotels, I will go out of my way to stay at one and finding the Adolphus really seemed like a perfect fit. I was in Dallas for a few days for medical reasons and thought this place would be great for me and my husband to have a neat comfy place for some r and r between appointments and procedures. While our experience was not a nightmare, it was definitely not nearly as good as I had expected and prepared my husband for.
We arrived late, around 11:30 pm and were greeted by the front desk lady who was super nice. The interior was really neat and I felt like I was going through a time warp which seemed like a great start to our stay. However when we got to our room on the 4th floor things changed. Our first room was large but the carpet was pretty gross, fixtures were not properly mounted and our bathroom had hair, wax, and product debris all over it. It had seemed that the products were replaced but nothing else was done. Not to mention the closet door was warped. I can deal with nostalgic and not perfect decor, but an unclean room is simply unacceptable. I was really upset as I really wanted a nice experience for me and my husband so I called to the front, explained my situation and we were moved rooms. The odd thing about moving room was the bell man said that the new roomed "seemed to be ok." That was not a good sign. While our second room was larger it still had the same issues. Poor cleaning of the bathroom with hair in the shower, opened products in the bathroom, sticky floor, and again fixtures ( to include shower head) coming out of the wall. It was now almost 1AM and we needed to sleep so I just grinned and bore it and went to sleep. (the bed was great by the way but is did not seem to have mattress cover which was a little freaky)
The next morning I let the front desk know about the issues with our second room and the gentleman was super nice and had excellent customer service, but nonetheless, our room was not improved.
Concierge was fabulous, we took advantage of the free car service and the drivers were great.
By the way we were comped breakfast for our room mishap ( the juice and coffee station) and the odd thing was that the bar man knew nothing about us being comped for the night before but said, "Don't worry about it happens all the time." Interesting...
We did not eat at the hotel at all but the French Room seemed nice. We wanted to explore a little more.

Overall this was not a place I would go back to nor would I recommend any of my friends and family to stay at. I don't know if it was because I used a military rate and that only qualifies for a low floor room that isn't as well maintained? Or if this is just a norm. Regardless, I will not be returning to find out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Your posting and our resident manager's conversation with you crossed in the mail. It is our understanding that everything was resolved to your satisfaction.

Thank you, again, for reaching out to us and allowing us to make amends for your disappointing stay.

Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was in Dallas for a conference and had booked my room at the conference hotel, but after looking around online, I was immediately wow-ed by the Adolphus. And guess what? They have special rates! Score! I was so excited to switch from the boring conference hotel to this gem!

The bottomline - yes, there are other newer, more modern hotels in downtown Dallas to pick from, BUT how do you put a price on history? This hotel still maintains most of the charm and splendor of a past era and had the WOW factor for us when we arrived. It is not high tech, new, and shiny, but it's comfortable and well maintained. It's amazing to look at the hotel and it's place in Dallas history and you definitely get a sense of that when you stay here. If you enjoy nostalgia and love to explore hidden gems, this is the hotel for you!

As noted by other travelers, this hotel is historic and with it comes good and bad points. For us, the good outweighed the bad. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. As ambassadors of the hotel, they did a great job in making us feel welcome. We had even called them days before our arrival to figure out what to do while we were in town and they were extremely helpful. Having a courtesy car to take you anywhere in the city was a godsend, especially on those cold days with the blistering winds howling through the streets... The decor in the main lobby was magnificent. It was definitely historic but overall, very well maintained and kept. We ate at the Bistro (thanks to free breakfast vouchers) and the staff was very friendly and service was quick. If you're there on a Sunday morning, definitely get the breakfast buffet!

The rooms were spacious and comfortable. Yes, the decor was a bit dated, but it was clean and well maintained. Housekeeping staff was on top of things and did a great job. Our one gripe is that the hot water would run out in the afternoon so there was no way to take a hot shower later in the day. Hot water worked splendidly in the morning though. The bidet was kind of a novelty item. I don't know anyone who uses this anymore, but it made me think back to trips to Europe. The walls are thin, so we did hear out neighbor's TV but it wasn't loud enough to disturb/disrupt our sleep. Wifi worked brilliantly in our room. As an older hotel, I was worried that there wouldn't be enough outlets for all our gadgets, but they had a six outlet adapter under the desk plus the desk had an extra 2 outlets built in. More than enough for our multitude of electronics.

The French Room was such a highlight that it deserves a review all on its own. Eating there is a MUST! They offered a special for hotel guests. Pay the extra for the souffle!

TIP: There is an Avis on the hotel premises. The valet will do an after-hours return of your vehicle for a nominal fee, which is much better than having to pay for the nightly parking rate.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor and didn't hear any noise from the roads.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Your joy is contagious, and we are delighted you had a grand time.

Thank you for your comments. They are invaluable.

Best regards,

Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had stayed here several times in in the 1990s & had very fond memories of the Adolphus, including a great dinner at the French Room. Sad to say, it really needs renovating. I love historic hotels & this is one of the most famous. The owners need to put money into this gem & train the staff. The lobby furniture was scuffed & the elevators were dented. Dirty hall carpets & very bright lighting. No free wi-fi in the lobby & it didn't work in my room. The room was large, but do not pay up for the "view," which was of a loft apartment building across the street. The room needs updating badly: no outlets next to the bed; banged up bath hardware which looks like it was for the 1980s (when was brushed brass popular?) & fixtures from the same era with no counter space ; the bedside lamp didn't work; and the coffee maker was cheesy, barely got the water hot & all they give you is powdered "creamer." I expect better from an iconic property like the Adolphus. Room service dishes that were in the hall when I checked in were still there when I checked out. Decent burger in the bar but there was only the bartender so service was very slow. Lunch in the restaurant was ok, nothing special. Nice server. Bottom line: there are a lot of good hotels in downtown Dallas; sadly, this is no longer one of them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies for your disappointing stay.

You will be pleased to know that the owners will be completely renovating the hotel in 2014, in keeping with the style and original grandeur of The Adolphus. Your comments will help guide their refurbishments.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We blocked rooms at the Adolphus for our wedding, as well as, holding our rehearsal dinner in the Bistro, and it couldn't have been an easier, better process and weekend! The staff was so helpful in ensuring all of our guests were taken care of and delivering our bags and wedding needs quickly. The only less than perfect experience came with the valet line pouring out into the streets of downtown with a 20 minute wait to park our car. The men were clearly working as quickly as possible, but it took longer than usual to get our car valeted. We really enjoyed the boutique feel of the hotel because it had personality, and was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Great choice for a weekend stay or a major event!

Room Tip: Higher rooms get a better view of the downtown skyline.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Julia,

Thank you for hosting your wedding guests at The Adolphus and holding your rehearsal dinner in The Bistro. It was a joy having you with us.

We apologize for the traffic you encountered on your arrival. You are kind to be so understanding, in spite of the inconvenience.

Your recommendation is much appreciated by all of our staff.

All the best to you and your family,

David

Been to Adolphus Hotel? Share your experiences!