“You have to see this place!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1321 Commerce St., Dallas, TX 75202   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #22 of 187 hotels in Dallas
houston, tx
“You have to see this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I were just coming off a very bad expierience at another hotel when I called The Adolphus. From the first phone call the service was incredible. They found out it was our anniversary and treated us so kindley! The went out of their way to provide us a beautiful room. The rooms were clean and quiet. The bathrooms were beautiful (you'll love the showerheads!) The breakfast at The Bistro was perfect. I wasnt able to go to the French Room but I assure I will upon my next visit. From the great location to the exquisite interior decor, this hotel was one of the best expieriences we've had. I've already recommended the Adolphus to several. We will be back very soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Jonathan,

Please accept our sincerest thanks for your glowing review of The Adolphus. We are delighted that you had a wonderful time and took away many happy memories.

Your joy is contagious, and I know many will smile as they read your kind words.

Rest assured, we will make your next stay just as memorable.

Thank you, Jonathan.

Best,

1,537 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Was in Dallas for a concert on Saturday and decided to stay till Monday. The first hotel was a mess so we looked for another for Sunday night. We came across The Adolphus on one of the hotel sites and they had a great deal so we decided to stay there.
Honestly I cant say enough good things about this place. The valet staff was friendly and helpfull which I havent always found the case if you dont need "assistance" with your baggage to the room...they help with bags, directions, smiled and ask us if we needed directions before we even asked them.
The reservation hadnt came thru when we had gotten there yet (I made it just two blocks away before immediatly pulling in). I certainly understood wehn the desk assistant said we needed to way just a few moments. We checked our bag and went the the restraunt in the hotel.
The bellman that checked our bags was a hoot...Paul was an Elvis impersonator when he is not working at the hotel. Now he didnt offer this info but it was I that inquired after seeing his great "Elvis" hair and lampchops. He was a very nice guy and even quietly sang a little song to my wife and I after we asked. Later he helped us with our bags to the room and again was fun to talk to and he certainly wasnt invasive as some of you might be think.
When we were in their "Cowboy" restaurant our waiter was a very nice and pleasant young man named Bryan. Hes was very polite and very helpful abouit the menu items and the hotel itself.
Unfortunely we were tired from the weekend and didnt really get to enjoy the hotal as much as we would normally have.
They offer a really nice Afternoon Tea that situated by a beautifully ornate grand piano. The hotel is right in the middle of the downtown entertainment area...we noticed several bars and restaurants out our window up and down the street.
About 10:30 at night we needed some more blanlets and pillows..I always hate calling Housekeeping that late but we did and they came up immediatley with actually more than we asked for...again a very friendly staffer that made the delivery
Next time we go to Dallas I will surley try and stay at The Adolphus...cant go wround with the staff or the hotel itself. I do wish they had a pool but I understand that most of the early century restored hotels rarly have this ammenity.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 19th Floor...its supposedly haunted.
Dear Guest,

Our management and staff were pleased to read that you were impressed with The Adolphus on every front.

How kind of you to share your recent experience with other travelers. We know that they will find your comments very helpful, indeed.

It is easy to see why you are Top Contributor for TripAdvisor, and we thank you for your enthusiastic recommendation.

May you return to The Adolphus often!

Cordially,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We pull up for our stay at The Adolphus and the valet opens my boyfriend’s door but does anyone open mine being the woman? Nope. We go in and check in at the front desk and then we head up to the room. The lobby is really pretty with historic clocks, lamps and such. I was impressed with that. The elevators are extremely small and were very crowded since people kept on trying to pile in making it a bit uncomfortable. We get to the room on the 12th floor and the first thing I noticed is the flowery carpet in the hallway. Very outdated and made this supposedly nice hotel look cheap. We get to room1226. We walk in and I noticed the room was smaller them I thought it would have been but it was nice. Then I notice the full size bed. One of the reasons why we stated at a hotel for my birthday was to sleep in a king size bed in which was listed on our reservation confirmation. We have a full size at home so we always get a king when we stay at a hotel. My boyfriend and I decided to let it go and not complain about it since we are only there for one night. We attempt to ride the elevator down to the lobby. The first one we get on the door messed up and it was opening and closing over and over. So we get out of that one and get on to another one that actually worked. Before dinner my boyfriend and I have a drink at the bar on the lobby floor. That was enjoyable. The French Room was WAY too expensive so we decided to eat at the iron cactus. The Iron Cactus was the only thing that went right, it was amazing and an amazing dinner. The best Tres Leches I have ever had. The only thing weird there was when we went upstairs to the bar/balcony area we smelled a sewer smell which was weird. The Iron Cactus was within walking distance. Our waitress Marketa (I think was her name) was amazing and they were able to seat us at a booth as we requested. Then we go back to the hotel and decide to have another drink at the hotel bar in the lobby. My boyfriend started a tab. It was pretty early still; about 7:00 p.m. Drinks were good. We go to tab out and the male bartender could not find our card. He gets on his personal cell phone and it appeared he was maybe texting her. He then leaves the bar (unattended) to go get our card from her. At this point my boyfriend and I are wondering if the female bartender committed fraud with our card. He comes back with our card and takes off my boyfriend’s beer from the tab because of the situation. During the time we were waiting at the bar we smelled the same sewer smell that we smelled at the Iron Cactus. We think it was caused by the water lines. The city of Dallas needs to fix this. Very unsanitary and I def never want to drink Dallas water now. We then go to the room and relax for the night. We both decide to go to sleep around 12:30 a.m. Then we are woken up by the door next to us slamming, loud noise, singing, yelling, running down the hallways etc. It at this point is on and off but keeps waking us up. Finally at 3:31 a.m. I call down to the front desk. They call security up, does no good. Then about 4:30 loud singing starts again. My boyfriend calls down to the lobby and security goes up again. Either it worked this time or the drinks finally passed out not sure which one. Needless to say we did not get any sleep and the stay was stressful. The bed also squeaks. Anytime I stay at a nice hotel I absolutely love ordering breakfast to the room. So my boyfriend orders some Danishes and I order eggs Benedict with potatoes and a cafe mocha. I asked the lady on the phone if I can put this on a different card and she said that was fine that when my food came down they would take my card then. As we were waiting for the food we got a knock on the door. I opened the door and the maid simply says "I will come back later". She gave no explanation to why she knocked and was not friendly at all. The food got delivered and I hand the guy my card and he looked at me weird and said I can't take this. So I explained to him the lady I spoke with said you would take it. He said no it would be charged to the room to take it up with the front desk. So at this point I'm like fine whatever. We go to eat our food and my boyfriend’s Danishes are the smallest bite size Danishes I have ever seen! Typically Danishes are fairly big and pretty. These were not, he still ate them and they tasted okay. I looked on the serving table for salt and pepper and could not find any anywhere, none in the room either. So I decide to eat my eggs and potatoes without it thinking maybe it already has enough salt and pepper on it. Nope. Very bland. I felt like I was eating hospital food. So as we are eating the dining room calls us and asks if I have my card to the guy who brought our food. I told her he would not take it. The lady then puts the manager on the phone and I just tell the manager to leave it as is since at this point I was already frustrated and they interrupted me eating my "hospital" bland tasting food. We have not checked out yet so I am hoping nothing else happens between now and check out and getting our car from the valet. If it does I will post another comment on here. I can honestly say we will not be back. EVER!
The next morning…..We didn’t think our stay could get any worse from my previous post. So we go to the lobby to check out. The guy at the front asks us how our stay was. My boyfriend states "It could have been better" then the guy asks why and he tells him pretty much everything I stated earlier in the last post. They comp us the 26 bucks for the valet fee so that made us feel better. We go outside to get our car from the valet. We wait a bit because they were busy which we figured being a Sunday they would be. It would be good if they would place some cheap concrete benches for people to sit while waiting. While waiting two valet guys were driving two separate cars almost hit each other and horns started blowing. Then our car comes down. My boyfriend pops the trunk to put our suit cases in and I go to open the passenger side door to get in and it doesn't open. I yell at my boyfriend "The door won't open". Then he comes over and we both see the damage to the door and the side panel. The door was scuffed and bent in causing it to not open. I then, will admit started yelling and acting a full. I’m glad my boyfriend kept his composure. The valet guy tells us he will get security then comes back stating he can't find anyone in security. At that point I started realizing what little assistance we were getting and called 911 to have them send a cop. The police dispatcher was very gruff and roof stating they prob will not take a report and I said that was fine I still wanted one to come out. While I was doing that my boyfriend was talking to the valet who one said to him that it was our fault, my boyfriend explained to him that when we arrived they all watched us get out of the car perfectly fine with me opening and closing the passenger door. I do hope they play their videos back. Hopefully a hotel as big as that has cameras all over the parking garage. They will know that it was their fault. I also hope that the valet who caused this damage was caught on camera in the act and fired for not telling his manager the truth right then and there. Finally the head of security and manager came out and smoothed things over. Thankfully my boyfriend was able to be cordial and respectful because at this point I lost it and was pissed. They agreed to take care of it and agreed to get us a rental car. They also told my boyfriend we could have a free stay in the nicest room they have. Later I told my boyfriend I would not ever step foot on their property again no matter what room they put us in. My boyfriend and I both make pretty good money together so I could care less about a free stay. So then the cop calls about 18 min later after I made the 911 call stating that it’s a civil suit and there was nothing they could do and was not coming out, The city of Dallas could not even have a cop drive to us to even take note of the situation. I was extremely rude to the cop I think I even said some cuss words and hung up. Thank you to the City of Dallas for doing absolutely nothing. This was an absolute DISASTER of a birthday celebration. If you want to be treated with respect in which my boyfriend and I both highly value, since he is a veteran of the Air Force and I am currently serving the Air Force reserved then do not come here. As seen through both of my posts, every single department (valet, check in, bartender, dining room, maid, am I missing anyone?) messed up on our one night stay. How does that possibly even happen to one couple on a one night stay????? How????? I am not one to complain easily or to make a scene in public. My boyfriend and I both hate conflict and avoid it at all costs and typically we just deal with bad customer service. I write a lot of reviews on trip advisor and always make sure to give the positives and negatives when posting my review. This out of all the places I have reviewed has positively been the worst I have had to write.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies for disappointing you in the way you describe. You can be sure that we have taken your criticisms to heart and made amends.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Adolphus Hotel in downtown Dallas is a superb choice, if you need a place to stay while visiting this great city!
From grand building structure, to the exquisite interior decor, this hotel sure stands out from the others.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your high praise - and recommendation.

Thank you so much!

Warmest regards,

Sherwood, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

PROS: Beautiful lobby area. Very quiet room. Comfortable bed. Check out the Dallas World Aquarium/Zoo!
CONS: Found a little bag of drugs inside of the hotel book shortly after arriving to our room which we turned into the check-in desk. Set thermostat to lowest setting and still never got cool. Poor view from windows. Foul odor on the 21st floor. $20/day for parking. Have to call and wait for ice. Restaurants a little pricey and not all that good (Didn't try French Room.)
Not the fault of the hotel, but anytime you leave this hotel and walk in the area prepared to get barraged by panhandlers.
I guess if you had something going on within walking distance to this hotel, it might be worth staying here, but I'll probably be looking for somewhere else next time I return to Dallas.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments.

We apologize, though, that we disappointed you in other ways. Try as we might, we sometimes get it wrong and fail to impress. With 400 guest rooms, it is bound to happen. We do our best, make amends, and recover as quickly as humanly possible.

Rest assured, your comments are used to make repairs and address any issues, if we have not already discovered them.

It would be unfair to describe downtown as overrun with panhandlers. The situation is no worse than any other major metropolis - and probably far better.

Our management and staff are grateful for your business and hope you will give us another chance to shine.

Very sincerely,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Pros:
- Good location
- Nice lobby
- Most of the staff was nice
- Nice rooms if you can get one with a view
- Quiet
- Good restaurants and bars
- Nice workout room
Cons:
- NO PARKING!!!! Only valet at $28 per day.
- Rude valet attendants
- All the Elevator safety inspections 3+ months expired.
- No Pool
- No free wifi
- Lots of stairs
- You cannot stay in the part of the hotel they show in the photo (the 1912 bld), you can only stay in the 1970's addition to the side.
- They tried to charge us $84 for parking one night ( $28 twice on the bill and once when we went to pick up car.)

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as possible.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your kind compliments and value your feedback (it is read by all of our staff and used for training purposes).

One can stay in the original 1912 building; we have many guestrooms and suites in that section. The hotel additions were not built in the 1970s; they were added over time, starting in the 1920s. There are elevators and escalators, as well as stairs.

We apologize for any errors on your bill. They were not intentional.

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I don't want this hotel to change a thing as long as the mattresses are new, rooms are clean... And they are! It's a grande piece of architecture built during the Titanic period. Walk off the streets of Downtown Dallas into Downton Abbey and a different era, where a pianist is playing Canon in D Major, ladies and gentlemen are enjoying afternoon tea or having a cocktails at the classic bar. The decor is grande dark mahogany , however this all captures the essence of the period and there are wonderful skylights above the main lobby with wonderful light beaming in so the lighting is all very natural and furniture is authentic. There are so many seating areas in every nook and cranny to enjoy a good book or quiet conversation. Everywhere you look there is a classic oil painting, a photo of Queen Elizabeth and grand stairway in the original lobby. Know that this hotel originated with one red brick tower on the East side and I always ask for a room on this side, I'm sure they're smaller but I like that. I have stayed in the suite and it is very nice and spacious. The staff is second to none and will go out of their way to accommodate your needs in giving you the room you want and if they can they are also good about late check out. There are 2 restaurants one being the most famous in Dallas, and nationally renown 5 star French room, it looks much like restaurant at the Musee d' Orsay, in Paris, but coat and tie is required and of course food is not at all the Same( much better and of course formal). Then there is the cozy Bistro open for breakfast and lunch, food outstanding. And of course the Afternoon Tea in which you'll want to make a reservation. There are many beautiful rooms for conferences, parties and weddings. Check out the website for updated specials, the ADOLPHUS is always featuring great specials for the hotel and restaurants so everyone can enjoy. Although I live in the Dallas area, I sometimes go to the hotel when I need a break. I've always been pleased with the rooms and always sleep well there and feel once I step into the place I'm in Paris or London without the flight. If you want hip and loud this may not be for you. However a little step back in time and some culture is pretty hip to me!!!!

Room Tip: The newer part of hotel doesn't match the original East Tower, and the newer facade is a bit fun...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at Adolphus Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

How very kind of you to take the time to give other travelers a virtual walk through The Adolphus.

Many people do consider The Adolphus the Downton Abbey of Dallas, and we are delighted with the comparison. We are all avid fans of the series.

Thank you for your kind words and high praise. It means the world to our staff to know that you are always pleased with your stays.

Best regards,

David

Been to Adolphus Hotel? Share your experiences!