“Grand old hotel; Poor Service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Only $1 Extra For Parking
Ranked #27 of 188 hotels in Dallas
West Chester
“Grand old hotel; Poor Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Adolphus is 100 years old and one of the most beautiful hotels in the US. The French Room is an unbelivable restaurant. If looks like you are in 17th century Paris. The food in all their restaurants and at the meeting rooms is very good. If only I could say the same for the service. It started with our check-in where there were about 15 people in line and only one person at the front desk. When we finally got our room it smelled like an open sewer. We were able to get it changed. When ever we called for our car after 6 or 7 rings it went to an answering machine and it said they were to busy to answer. When we went to get the car there was a young lady sitting there but not answering the phone. This saame thing happened every time we called for the car. On the last day we ask for a wake up call. Guess what we never good it. If you want to stay in a beautiful 4 seasons level hotel with motel 6 level service , this is the hotel for you. Stay somewhere else and make a reservation for the French Room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

1,639 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Plenty of old world European decor and charm is obvious in this downtown classic, as is its well worn state. My room was clean and well furnished, (albeit rather garish with its red and green color scheme); the bathroom plumbing had faucet leaks and was rather dowdy looking w/ all beige and worn antique brass-like fixtures and thread-bare towels. Hotel staff (front desk and housekeepers) were friendly and responsive. Banquet food was surprisingly good w/ very attentive wait staff. In room WiFi worked well and care was taken to supply extra power outlets at the desk.

Room Tip: Workout room is relatively small and crowded in the evening and mornings.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked the two bed suite with a kitchenette. It is a bit outdated but does have the traditional charm of an old hotel. The French Room is a beautiful restaurant. The atmosphere is wonderfully romantic and chic. The food & service was fantastic.

Room Tip: We had two large sitting areas with an eating area. Rm 427
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here Oct 25-29 (4 nights). This was my 3rd time at the hotel. The last time I stayed, it was associated with Noble Hotels. That has changed and so has the hotel, not necessarily for the better. When you first walk in to register, then take the escalator up to the lobby, you can be - well, awstruck. Possibly one of the most beautiful hotel lobbies in the country. Very elegant and old world. Now for my critique:
PROS - the staff is very nice. Front desk efficient. Concierge outstanding. Housekeeping very good. Aside from the lobby decor, the rooms are very traditional but comfortable.
CONS - they have 3 restaurants, the Rodeo, the French Room and the Bistro ( I think that is the name). The French Room is very elegant, very good food and very expensive. Prix fixe starts at $88. I have eaten there in the past but not this time. The Rodeo is on the street level and supposedly serving a western menu. I had a hamburger, which was very good and very big! However, the service was so slow that we almost gave up on it. Sorry to say, the 3rd restaurant, The Bistro, no longer serves dinner, which is too bad. It was moderately priced and good. They only serve breakfast and lunch there now. This is a definite minus! They have moved the bar to the lobby, which I think was a mistake as it is a source of noise. It used to be in the foyer leading to the Bistro Restaurant but since they no longer do dinner there, I guess that is why they moved the bar.

The hotel is in downtown Dallas which is dead at night. Not an area that you want to walk around in the dark. Some readers will be interested to know that the mother store of Nieman Marcus is just a very short distance away. However, the hotel is very very busy! Two wedding parties going on and lots of people coming and going.

The decor in my room, was nice but very dated grandma style and somewhat drab. Bed was comfortable and the TV was excellent. Two chairs in my room were very uncomfortable. There was a couch too, but no lamp next to it so useless for reading and not on a direct view with the TV.

The disaster was the bathroom! For a jr. suite such as mine, there was only a stall shower which is ok with me but no handles inside, no place to put your foot up to wash your legs. Only a very small soap container which was too small for the shampoo! Shower head was ok, though. The big problem was at the sink! Turn on the hot water and you get very hot water - so far so good. Turn on the cold water - - - - - and you get hot water after it has run for 30 or 40 seconds. If you want a cold glass of water, be advised to buy bottled water. (There is an all-night 7/11 very close to the hotel) Finally, one morning, I did not have to worry about the "cold water" tap as there was NO water!! I think the hotel has to do some sprucing up. It has been terrific in the past but has slipped.

Room Tip: My room was miles from the elevator which is ok with me but be aware if you prefer to be closer to t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many times for work and this time was not one of my favorites. the hotel seemed to be having issues with not having enough employees staffed when needed. My room was clean and fresh as always. One very major pain was that one morning I discovered that I had no bath towels in my room but unfortunately did not notice this until after I had already showered and was dripping wet with only a hand towel to dry off with. I needed to get to the office so had no other option. As I was leaving to go to the office, I saw a maid bringing towels to a room several doors down from me so I guess that problem was not mine alone. I also had to wait about 15 minutes the day I was checking out to get my bill. Even though I do have other options when i come to Dallas for my work trips I will probably still give them another try and hope for a better experience next time.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at The Adolphus while in town for a convention. It is within walking distance of the Convention Center which is nice. The hotel has some amazing architectural details in the lobby, you can tell it's definitely a historic place. However those quaint details in the lobby provide for rooms that desperately need updating. The only outlets in my room that worked were the ones with lamps plugged in, meaning I had to unplug a lamp to charge my phone. The problem with that is the entire room was lit by only 3 lamps so without one, it was extremely dark. The bed was comfortable, the pillows were terrible. I had to stack 3 of them together to be able to sleep without my head falling through the stuffing. The bathroom vanity was gorgeous but the bathtub was old and disgusting. The inserts for soap and such looked as though they hadn't been cleaned in years, the shower curtain smelled of mildew and the water smelled like dirt. Again, it is a very pretty hotel but I think management needs to take some time and spend some money doing renovations.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The room we had was spacious and quiet. The service was impeccable. Room service food was tasty but expensive. If needing to be in downtown Dallas, a great place to spend your time. We didn't get to use any other of their facilities because of time constraints but enjoyed beautiful hotel and wonderful service.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Adolphus Hotel? Share your experiences!