“Not up to Marriott Standards” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Springhill Suites Dallas Downtown West End

You added Springhill Suites Dallas Downtown West End to your Saves list
Springhill Suites Dallas Downtown West End
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1907 North Lamar Street, Dallas, TX 75202 (Downtown Dallas)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #76 of 190 Hotels in Dallas
Plantation, Florida
“Not up to Marriott Standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Spring Hill Suites in Downtown Dallas in the West End needs updated. The heating unit makes a lot of noise and the lighting in the bathroom and the sink are dim. I was told when I checked out that they would email me my bill, but never received it. Towels were not left in the room one day and twice I had to go to the front desk and ask for them. The towels when we got them were ragged most of the time. I know this is not the top end of the Marriot, but when I stay at a Marriott I expect more. I would say it was convenient to the business section and major downtown attraction including many restaurants. The shuttle does run to 7:00 PM within a three mile radius but not on the weekend. The breakfast was very good along with the staff and front desk.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
jeff d, General Manager at Springhill Suites Dallas Downtown West End, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Our hotel went through a complete renovation this year. The AC/Heating units were not replaced during the renovation. We are in the process of changing out all of our in-room units and should have this project complete by the end of 2014. I will pass on your comments concerning the linen to our houekeeping and laundry staff in hopes of ensuring other guests do not receive linen in poor condition. Our property system links with a Marriott billing system and we are not actually able to see whether or not requested guest folios have been emailed. I will be happy to email a copy of your guest folio to you if you provide me with your email address.

Thank you for your loyalty to the Marriott brand and I sincerely apologize that you had issues during your stay.

Jeff Durham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I am a Marriott Gold member, so I stay at lots of Marriotts across the Southwest. Despite the mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, I did fins this Springhill Suites to be perfectly aligned quality-wise and customer service-wise with other Springhills and Fairfields. The lobby is modern and inviting, the front desk staff very nice and helpful, and the room was clean, comfortable, and larger than usual. The bed was perhaps a bit indented, however, so they should look at updating those. The location is very good. A block from Dallas World Aquarium, a block from a lot of restaurants, including steak houses, TGI's, Chipotle, McD's, Spaghetti Warehouse, and others. I walked to a conference at the Omni Hotel from Sprighill... an easy ten minute walk. Downtown Dallas is small as far add downtowns go, so everything will be in walking distance if it is in the central business district. At night, the area can be quite seedy if you venture out of the West End District. Overall, a good value in a great location.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being such a loyal Marriott Reward member. We appreciate that you took the time to write such a kind review on Trip Advisor.

Richmond, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Room, bathroom, breakfast, and lobby all met the Marriott brand/SpringHill Suite standards. However, the gym was like walking into the 1980's. Two outdated treadmills, a stairmaster that was in bad shape, and exercise bike.

The shuttle van covers a 3 mile radius which is a nice touch. They leave on the half-hour so be sure to reserve a slot that meets your needs.

Clean and Excellent location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
jeff d, General Manager at Springhill Suites Dallas Downtown West End, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am relatively new to the hotel and the excercise room, which is larger than most SpringHills, does need some updating. Over the next 6 months we will be modernizing our excercise room and adding an olyptical machine among other things.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete a review.

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I've stayed here several times now thanks to it literally being across the street from our Dallas office. In fact, during my most recent visit a couple of weeks ago, I was in a room facing our office and able to pick up our WiFi!

I've always marveled at how nice this hotel is, the best SH Suites I've ever experienced. Everything from front-desk to the maids are extremely friendly and helpful and the price is certainly right too.

If I have one complaint it's the heavy use of styrofoam and disposable utensils in the breakfast area but I guess that's just the way of the American budget traveler. How nice would it be to offer real silverware and plates and maybe let one of the kitchen folks clock an extra couple of hours washing them? It seems this would be cheaper too and certainly make sense from an environmental standpoint.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel. It is great to hear such positive commnets about our hotel and staff. I will look into the suggestions you offered in regards to our breakfast area in hopes of finding a solution that is both cost effective and eco-friendly as well.

Thank you for the time you took to complete a reivew.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Our team is in Dallas on business and half of us are staying at this hotel and the other half are staying at a nearby Sheraton. Since I’ve checked in on Tuesday I’ve experienced the absolutely worst customer service that I’ve ever experienced at a Marriott Hotel.

I checked in and entered my room to feel a cold blast of air (the AC was on High Cool...that can’t be eco friendly). On top of this my room AC system is making an incredibly annoying noise and b/c it was past midnight when I checked in I turned on the TV to drown out the noise and complained the next morning. When I came back yesterday the noise was gone but unfortunately as I’m up at 5am writing this nreview and I’m listening to this noise again. Seriously.

I went to the continental breakfast area. The oatmeal was watered down and there selection was limited...only two fruit selections...small variety. I asked for a bottle of water and the employee instructed for me to go downstairs for this. (Why can’t you sell water upstairs?) I went to the front desk and she told me it was in the marketplace area. Walked over and saw nothing but soda. My team is with me at this time as we were heading out and everyone wanted to grab a bottled water. I told the front desk rep that the water is out and she said “well then we don’t have any.” So you mean that there is not one single bottle of water in the entire building or was she too “busy” to go grab a few bottles for us? A nicer customer service response would have been…”we have fresh water and cookies behind you but unfortunately I can’t leave my desk to grab any at the moment.” She could have also said “there’s a CVS one block away as an alternative option.”

The icing on the cake… I woke up this morning around 4:30am in the morning and called downstairs and spoke with a woman at the front desk. I’m 5 months pregnant and have been under the weather so I asked could two bottles of water be brought up to my room. She says, “I don’t have anyone to bring it to you. My valet is out getting a car right now.” I told her I didn’t mind waiting until they are back. She says, “He has other cars to get after this one so it’s going to be awhile.” I said “ok” and then we hung up. I’m surprised that the Valet would be this busy before 5am. 15-20 mins later I have a knock on the door and the valet guy is standing outside of my room with two bottles. I’m thinking “Oh, what a surprise b/c I was getting dressed to go downstairs.” He hands me the bottles and says, “They told me to tell you that next time you need to go downstairs to the marketplace and get these yourself.” Are you serious? I said, “who told you to inform me of this?” He said “the girl at the front desk.” So time out - why didn't she just nicely inform me of this over the phone that this was a onetime courtesy instead of making up excuses for how busy “her people” were.

So frustrated, I called the front desk again to ask for Jeff Durham’s email, the General Manager and the front desk person said "I don't have Jeff’s email." She gave me someone else's and with attitude concluded with “you want my name too?”

Your staff talks to me as if they are not in the customer service business at all, as if I’m not paying to stay here, as if I’m we’re just two random people passing each other on the street.

I’m astonished at this b/c I’ve stayed in Marriott hotels all over the world. The other half of my team is staying at the Sheraton hotel nearby and they’ve said that they are really enjoying the experience. I’m regretting my decision on staying here and would definitely not recommend this hotel for future reference.

Room Tip: 3 of 4 team members were placed in handicap rooms that have really low closets making it difficult t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It was very disappointing to learn of the various issues you encountered while you were a guest of our hotel. I will be reviewing your experiences with the various associates that were involved in hopes that this type of behavior never happens at our hotel again.

This, of course, is not the type of service our hotel or Marriott strives to deliver to our guests. Although we are not a full service Marriott hotel with more amentities and staff; we should have been able to accomodate your requests in a more customer service oriented manner.

Please accept my apologies for the service level you experienced while you were a guest of our hotel.

Olney, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

All-in-all, the room was not fantastic at this SpringHill Suites. A little dated. But the staff made up for it with excellent service, considering I had special needs for this business trip. They accommodated me in every way, suggesting less expensive parking options, expanding my checkout, and providing excellent directions. A very good downtown location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the kind review. It is great to hear that our associates were able to help you with your needs. I will make sure I share your review with our staff.

Thank you again!

Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We choose SpringHill Suites both because it was near the Dallas Convention Center, our destiny, and for its price.
We were most satisfied with our choice.
The property is within walking distance from the Convention Center. Some reviews have commented about homeless people near the hotel. Well, as at almost any downtown areas there are some poor people around but we walked around during the day, at night and at early morning and never felt uncomfortable.
Near the hotel there’re good restaurants. You don`t have to take a car to find a good meal. There is a liquor store and a CVS store next block.
The hotel, one of the Marriot chain, was excellent. The reception people were friendly and we got our room before the check-in time. Our room was huge with two comfortable double beds and a large dinging/living room with a fridge, a microwave and coffee making facilities. There is also an iron and an iron board. The Wi-Fi was very good
Included in the rate (149.00 +tax) we got a complimentary breakfast with fresh fruits, eggs and sausage. By the way there is free coffee all day at the breakfast room.
It is an excellent choice for downtown Dallas

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I will make sure I share your comments with our staff.

Jeff Durham

Been to Springhill Suites Dallas Downtown West End? Share your experiences!