“Super solid place with agreat location. Would stay here again” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
$30 off
Ranked #13 of 188 hotels in Dallas
Westlake Village
“Super solid place with agreat location. Would stay here again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Went to see a cowboys game and spent the night here. Great location 15 minutes from the stadium and 15 minutes from the airport . Tons of different restaurants nearby and a nice area to walk around too in downtown. We were given free coupons for welcome cocktails and there was a large free buffet in morning too. Sole but clean rooms with very soft sheets and various pillows from hard to soft. We were on the 6th floor and we did hear a little street noise so I would recommend the highest floor you can get. An overall good solid and friendly place to stay

• Stayed November 2012

2,211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I spent two nights at the Magnolia. My room was very comfortable and quiet. Great shower. Free WiFi, breakfast were much appreciated. I didn't have a car but the valets got me cabs immediately when I needed them. The only thing I would change- the room was a little dark. There are lamps and big windows but I was reluctant to open the blinds all the way because there are other rooms just across the way so not exactly private with the blinds open. But the comfort and general experience outweighed the slight inconvenience of not-so-great lighting. Oh- and the elevators are super slow. I would change that too.

I see that someone else mentioned the room keys not working. I had the same problem but I discovered that if I pulled on the door knob while standing outside the door there would be a little click and then my key card would work. I discovered that after going downstairs to get a replacement key card. The same reviewer said the bathroom was dingy- mine was very clean. And the lighting in the bathroom was fine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our TV did not work. We called the first night, and was told it would be fixed. Didn't happen. The bathtub filed up while we took showers... The drain was clogged. We called and that WAS fixed for our second night. Your Bartender, Freddy at the evening reception was rude. I bought two Crown and Cokes for $18. I gave him a $20. I was probably going to give him the $2 change as a tip, but he just assumed I did, and didn't bring the change back to me. I then asked for it, he seemed put off and disgusted, and brought it back, throwing it on the counter. I am in the Customer Service business, and if I saw my employee be like that to a customer, we would definitely be having a talk. Because of the way he treated us, we did NOT go back the Evening Reception the next evening, and basically he put a sour taste in our mouth at the beginning of our Magnolia experience, so that when other things went wrong, we had little patience. It is a shame, because I had heard so many good things about the Magnolia. On the plus side, driver Jake from MGM was incredible. Nice, service related, on time. He needs to be commended.

San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stay at the Magnolia frequently for business. It's a convenient location with excellent service but I'm starting to get frustrated with a couple of things, the biggest one being that the rooms are very dark, even with all of the lights on. This may be no biggie for males but women need good lighting for make up. As a, ahem, mature traveler, I'm used to bringing my own makeup mirror but need something more than mood lighting to use it. Second, and more important to all travelers, there is no room safe to store electronics and other valuables. This means I end up toting my gear everywhere. Safes need to be big enough for laptops and the stack of electronics we all have. Plus, again, as a female, I care jewelry on trips and will not leave it behind in the room.

Additionally, on this trip, a two nighter, I spent the first night freezing since the heater didn't work. I didn't realize the problem until late and decided to tough it out. When I called down the next morning, the maintenance folks had it working by the time I returned that evening. Additionally, I had trouble with the lock on my door. After the first time, when they rekeyed my cards, I had maintenance come up to let me in (which the front desk recommended; this was helpful because I was lugging said electronics & gear around - see note about safe...). When the very nice man let me in, he tested my keys and they worked once and then didn't. We tried both keys, which were stored separately in my bag, making it unlikely I had demagged them. I'm not an expert but it seemed the lock was the problem. It didn't appear to be just me either, as I spoke to another guest who had the same experience.

I like the Magnolia overall - convenent, good value and excellent service - but it needs a little work.

BTW, I don't use their breakfast/reception service due to diet restrictions but I hear from my coworkers it hits the spot. Other options are the Starbucks just off the lobby (which was oddly closed but not explained on one of the days I was there), Iron Cactus, Sol y Irlandes, Dallas Fish Market and the Rodeo bar in the Adolphus. All are great places to eat. There is also a CVS on the next block if you need incidentals.

Room Tip: In my experience, all of the rooms are relatively quiet with little noise from hallway traffic or ne...
St. Louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Spent two nights in Hotel, there were issues upon check in getting our room keys to work. And upon discovering this and bringing it to their attention they seem shocked like it was impossible. The rooms need updating a bit, specifically the bathroom. Sloppy tile work and it appeared to be a bit dingy.
The evening receptions and breakfast were great and the staff for the most part was very helpful. Overall I would certainly recommend the hotel, especially for location and for business meetings, but for a personal trip with family or a spouse I would look somewhere else first.

Sebastopol, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed for 3 days and 3 nights on business. Service was excellent all around. Favorite part was at check-in when they ask how many electronic devices you have and give you a code for each device for wi-fi. Connecting to the wi-fi was easy and it worked well - no hassles with connecting to multiple devices. Great location downtown near Neiman Marcus. Free hot breakfast as well as milk and delicious cookies in the evening. Only downsides were street noise (I brought earplugs so wasn't bothered too much by it), lack of heater (like southern California it rarely gets cold) and the elevators which need updating (heard several folks complain of having to ride up and down several times before getting to lobby). Overall a great place to stay in Dallas.

Room Tip: Higher floor for better views
Lancaster, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Being somewhat history buffs, my wife and I decided to book a night at this hotel, which is only 20 minutes from our home, and we had a nice stay in a corner queen suite on the 22nd floor. The building was constructed in 1922 for the Magnolia Oil Company, which later became Mobil Oil. The neon flying red horse (Pegasus) was affixed to the roof in 1934 and my mother and aunt can remember seeing it from many miles away as little girls growing up in the 1930s. A small replica of it is in the lobby and makes a nice photo op. As far as the hotel itself, our corner suite was nicely appointed with windows on three sides and the view of downtown Dallas and surrounding area was magificient. I packed binoculars specifically for the occasion. It was fun to see Fair Park to our east with the Cotton Bowl letters lit up in green (the real Cotton Bowl, not Jerry World's cotton bowl). The huge Texas Star ferris wheel was spotted too. The suite itself was clean and comfortable with a living room and kitchen in addition to the private bedroom and bath. We could have used a luggage rack but that was a minor annoyance. The free breakfast offered a nice variety of choices and was a plus. Valet parking was available and the attendants were very efficient. The hotel staff was very pleasant. Overall, it was a nice get-away and the hotel was a big part of it.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room floor. I think the building has 28 floors, we were on the 22nd and it was hig...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Magnolia Hotel Dallas? Share your experiences!