“The Old Girl Looks Good!” 4 of 5 stars

Step Up Summer: 15% Off
Ranked #26 of 188 hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
“The Old Girl Looks Good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My partner and I are old acquaintances of the Hotel Lumen, having stayed there both before and after the face lift. The new look is very, very impressive: modern, clean, and elegant (exactly what we expect from the Kimpton brand). The new pool area is very chic, great for a lazy afternoon. We found the front desk staff very sweet, a bit distracted by the TV (our visit was during a big game), but friendly and accommodating.

Our only real disappointment was the restaurant, the Front Room. Great decor, so-so service. Happy hour was about to start, and we sat for 10 minutes before water even arrived. And we left feeling underwhelmed at price for value. My frittata was $12 and contained nothing but eggs.

Quick Summary: The remodel puts the Lumen on par with Kimpton's sister property in Dallas, the Hotel Palomar, which was a much needed step. Patrons will find it a relaxing place for a short getaway, and one that impresses special visitors to SMU. With so many restaurants in the area, there are plenty of other options if the Front Room does not impress.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the back of the building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AssistantGM, General Manager at Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
"The Old Girl" Says Thank you. We are so glad that you liked the new look. I love the pool it has to be one of my favorite spots. We have had some changes in The Front Room and I hope on your next visit you will give it anohter try. I think you will be very pleased. Thanks for taking a moment to let others know how your experience was.

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Found this hotel by chance - but have now added it on to my regular business travel list. Very nicely laid out and extremely smart / clean property. The restaurant has some very interesting and very nice choices.
Only drawback is the location, but it is well worth the extra $10 taxi ride compared to the local same-old, same-old, chain properties.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello thanks for the recommending us to others. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will return soon. I love that your adding us to your "list" Thank you!!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

In between houses while paint & floors getting ready at new house. Originally was going to be here 4 nights...when contractor said it would be a few more days before we could move in I would have ordinarily flipped but could have cared less because we are getting to stay here longer! Have a 16 year old and a dog in tow as well and it's been great for both!
I just wish I wasn't so busy so I could enjoy the pool! Food is over the top good! Fun for just drinks too! My suite is such a great value, nice size and so comfortable. Location is the BEST! And lastly, the staff... They are all helpful & friendly! I know, for sure, that my dog, Ginger, will be sad to leave!

• Stayed June 2013
We sure did enjoy having you with us and we loved Ginger! We hope you have stoped by since you left to see us. We love having our neighbors staying with us and your right it is so nice to get away for a bit. Hope all the painting went well and we look forward to seeing you again. Come and bring Ginger and your son over for a visit.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Hotel Lumen was a fantastic surprise. From what used to be a run down motor hotel, a crisp boutique hotel has been born. From the moment we pulled up, and encountered the valet, to the pool side dining service every staff member went out of their way to make us feel like Hotel Lumen was our home away from home. Carlos, in dining services, made sure that he anticipated every need we may have during are pool side afternoon and morning breakfast in bed. The room was spacious, and my 6'9" husband felt comfortable in the surroundings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for calling us a "GEM" I love that! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Being tall myself I know how that can be and glad your 6"9 husband felt comftorable. We hope to see you soon.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at the Lumen over St. Pattys day weekend because a lot of my friends live in Dallas. It was located in a quaint location, not too far from anything, but not directly in the city. They offer a cab that will take you within 3 miles of the hotel for free (tips appreciated). The free cab took us to the mall, dinner and to a bar for St. Pattys. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly. When I went (march) the pool was still covered, but it was heated, yet it was 80 degrees I would have liked to lay out. So instead, we went to the top of the hotel, they have a patio on the roof and just sat in the sun there.

My friend brought her large black lab with; they were so accommodating to her dog. They brought water, food, took him on a walk while we were gone. Honestly, the staff was fabulous.

The rooms were nice, two queen beds, marble shower, very clean and modern. The restaurant there was unbelievable, food was just outstanding. They have free wine hour around 5, and free coffee in the morning which was convenient.

The hotel is about 30 miles from the main airport (65 dollar cab), but there is a smaller airport that I know southwest flys into that is about 4 miles from this hotel.

If you are looking for something more relaxing, I would choose this hotel, there is another kimpton hotel located about 1 mile away that is directly across from the mall, which I would probably stay next time!
Enjoy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
First of all so sorry for my delay in responding to your posting. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. I think we actually took the tent down a few days after you left. As much as I dont like to share it is ok if you go to the Palomar but you have to promise to come back to The Lumen!!!
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My friend and I were at the Lumen for three nights visiting another friend who lives in Dallas. We chose the Lumen because of the Kimpton name. What a great hotel! We loved being warmly greeted by the reception staff each time we entered the lobby, and were delighted with the smiles and attentiveness of the front entrance valets who were ready and waiting to open doors and wish us a great day. The room itself was spacious, quiet, and nicely decorated, and breakfast in The Front Room restaurant was very tasty, reasonably priced and most enjoyable in a lovely setting. The only thing I missed was an in-room coffee/tea maker, as I like a hot cup of tea late evening and would prefer just to boil water there than order room service for it. There was coffee/tea in the lobby in the morning, though. Overall, three nights, no complaints, would absolutely return to the Lumen and recommend highly!
p.s. Make sure you take the stairs instead of the elevator heading down. I expected the usual enclosed space but was delighted to see a beautiful design that mixed modern with retro!

Room Tip: I did ask for a room away from the elevator and ice machines (as I always do) and it was very quiet...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
AssistantGM, General Manager at Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
"Great Stay" This is so cool. I am so glad you had a great stay and we love that you took time to let others know. I also love that you took the stairs to see our hip staircase. It is so fun with the light fixtures and glass. Thank you so much for talking about us. We hope you come back soon.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Almost don't want to let the cat out of the bag...but the Hotel Lumen is a gem. Mario, the manager is super as is the rest of the staff here. Great restaurant and bar as well. My only critique is the gym-could use an upgrade (treadmill and bike are so loud you can't hear the tv).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
I think you just let the "cat out of the bag", but we thank you for that. So great to hear about your stay. I agree about the gym and we are working to get that updated. It may take some time but we hear you. I am glad that Mario treated you well and I will be giving him a big High Five today.

Been to Hotel Lumen - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!